Pages:
Author

Topic: $30,000 on mining or spent on buying coins? - page 3. (Read 5366 times)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250
Imagine a world without hate and oppression
there are several ways to double your money in BTC business but you have to enough knowledge about your work, price, trading, ASIC companies etc...
Activity: 266
Keep in mind that without miners - crypto dies.

We NEED miners.

I say spend your money ALL on mining gear.

Just buy the right stuff.

SO MUCH out there is over priced and ridiculous.

If you find the RIGHT gear (and know when to move it and upgrade) then you will be fine.
Don't listen to this guy. He has a limited amount of knowledge and understanding. Investing everything in mining will likely never even ROI.

Yes, don't listen to the people telling you to mine. Listen to the people telling you NOT to mine *checks to see those ants are running*

Seriously, leave the mining to those already invested. We miners don't need difficulty to go up anymore than it already is, every newcomer miner that joins in further decrease the amount of bitcoins mined, it's a lose-lose scenario
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
next month when my company unveils the latest and greatest double sha256 miner ever

Specs?
Which company is he referring to?
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
next month when my company unveils the latest and greatest double sha256 miner ever

Specs?
Activity: 406
Merit: 252
To any potential 'investors':

'Tis best to buy bitcoins with the money. Don't buy any mining equipment now, because you will regret it.

If you are determined to buy mining hardware, then at least wait until next month when my company unveils the latest and greatest double sha256 miner ever. Seriously, it'll be worth the wait.  Smiley

You may want to take some cash and buy bitcoins now, however, since that now-famous log price chart suggests the price may rise soon. I tend to side with contrarians, so I'm ambivalent.

Or at least dollar-cost average into the market, a strategy works well in most secular bull markets.

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥

We NEED miners.

If you find the RIGHT gear (and know when to move it and upgrade) then you will be fine.
Don't listen to this guy. He has a limited amount of knowledge and understanding. Investing everything in mining will likely never even ROI.

Hell yea, $30k gets you 20 TH/s worth of miners from Spondoolies lowering my already measly shares, keep him away from my pool!   Tongue
legendary
Terminated.

We NEED miners.

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

True.
But even with people quitting, difficulty will drop and mining profitability will go up. So, the mining market will become stable sooner or later.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
w00t!coin

We NEED miners.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Buy BTC is the way to go..
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
Only invest what you can afford to lose. My suggestion would be to buy Bitcoins and hold for 1-2 years minimum.

+1.
You should consider it a long-term investment, so don't need to get happy when the price go up 10% a day or get worried when the price go down 10% a day. Just relax and check the price every once in a while Wink
legendary
Terminated.
Only invest what you can afford to lose. My suggestion would be to buy Bitcoins and hold for 1-2 years minimum.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
If I had $30000 to invest  I would try to have as much bitcoins as possible quiclky because I believe in bitcoins.
The best way to have more bitcoins with fiat is to buy shares of mining compagnies earning bitcoins.

Hypothesis
  • I WANT to risk my $30000
  • I AM a real bitcoin believer
  • 2014 BTC = $500
  • 2015 BTC = $1,000
  • My compagny will reinvest enougth to outpass de difficulty growth

Option 1 - Buy BTC & wait - I buy 60 BTC  ====>      2015 value : 60 * 1000 = $60,000

Option 2 - Buy Shares &  take dividends - I buy 60 shares 1BTC each - Dividend 50% per year
                              2015 value :
                                     Dividends  2014 :  15BTC
                                     Dividends  2015 :  30BTC
                                     Shares      : 60BTC
                                        Total           60+30+15 =105BTC *$1000 = $105,000

And on top...if we are 2015 and BTC = $1000 the value of my shares will be much more than 60BTC. May be 100 I think so it is more $145,000

Option 3 - Buy Shares & reinvest dividends - I buy 60 shares 1BTC each - Dividend 50% per year
                              2015 value :
                                     Dividends  2014 : 15BTC ==>reinvest
                                     Dividends  2015 : 37.5BTC
                                     Shares      : 75BTC
                                        Total           75+37.5 = 112.5BTC * $1000 = $112.500
And on top...my shares worth more 75 ==>130... so may be  $167,500

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
Buy BTC. No doubt about that. I've been mining with ASICS since October (mined with GPUs before) and if I had bought coins instead, I'd would made twice the profit...
And dont take too long cause the price seems to be going up...

I would generally agree with this statement. If you're mining then you'll have to cash out to fiat at some point to pay for the electricity which means if the value of BTC goes up you'll have benefited less than you would have if you outright purchased BTC. If the price goes down, you're miners will effectively earn 'less' and you'll still have to convert BTC albeit more and you'll have less BTC holdings. Fundamentally, if you're looking for a profit you'd be better off buying rather than mining unless you're sure that you're getting efficient miners and cheap enough electricity to warrant it.

not if you instamine for 5 min and then shut down your ring
Activity: 404
Merit: 252
Just buy coins and the above is not a bad idea at all. If I didn't mess so much with miners I would have more bitcoins. End of the year I hope to have a decent stack but in this situation do not mine. 1 may 1 thz starts mining for me I wait that out. But so much mining power getting on the network what you think when asicminer activate there gen 3 farm? Normal miners will by quicker out the game then ever. It has been a racing game since the start if you bet on the right horse you get first in the line and you make plenty off bitcoins thats just how it works. Like gathering in a gold mine. if I had spare money buy bitcoins all the way.

If someone releases a 1000 thz machine you are first? Of course invest but always risk.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.
I would start an investment journal like here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hbn-investment-journal-2-returns-every-ten-days-90000-hbn-porfolio-406112

Guy has 10,000 USD worth of HBN, with 2% returns every 10 days That's $600 every 10days for you... thats at current market prices for HBN (hobonickels). Hobonickels has a strong community behind it, and many believe it will still go up. Besides HBN this would be my personal journal with 30K

• 8500USD >LTC
  • 4000 USD > VERT
  • 3000 USD > Peercoin
  • 2500USD >BTC
  • 1500USD > FTC
  • 1500 USD > DOGE
  • 1500 USD > Darkcoin
  • 1500 USD> Maxcoin
  • 1500 USD> Fluttercoin
  • 1500 USD > Devcoin
  • 1500 USD > Goldcoin
DISCLAIMER: AM NOT A BAGHOLDER
Activity: 568
Merit: 500
If I were you, I would just buy bitcoin and litecoin with the money. Smiley
Activity: 955
Merit: 1004
I think that if you're going to buy a SHA ASIC, now is the time to do it when older units are coming out on ebay.  You can have less $ invested and still hash a lot.

I am currenly LOLLING at all the GPUs being sold in bulk on ebay, by people who bought them at elevated prices after Litecoin surged its price.

Now it is a buyers market.  I GPU mine certain Scrypt-N coins, and I only buy GPUs for low low bargain basement discount prices, so if and when I decide to sell my stuff, I have a good chance of recovering most or all of my cash invested in GPUs.  For a few months there, it bothered me to not be adding to my GPU farm, but the high prices of GPUs stopped me, and now I am glad I waited.

Over at the Litecoin forums.org, there's this one dickwad named Jrose120 who, although very knowledgeable about computers, dove in too hard and too fast.  He had the garage in his rented house totally rewired to handle lots of GPUs, he bought several hundred GPUs when the prices were at their highest, built himself a hash farm running 70-90 Mhash, then pretty much dropped off the LTC forums and has been selling off his GPUs, at least some of them, on ebay.

And as if that isn't enough, he did it all on his credit cards and $50,000 from a relative, so he has that pressure on him too.

I don't understand why he pussed out, he is mining different coins now, but if he had stuck with one or two good ones and kept at it, he would have made more return on his investment.
Activity: 448
If I had $30K myself right now, I'd buy BTC directly and hold until the next bubble. Pre-ordering a mining rig is a fool's game, been there and done that and lost my shirt. Just buy BTC now and hold. You can thank me later.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
Don't think you have to go all in on one thing only.

My advice would be to spread it around a bit - sure if you want to do some mining yourself go for it.

But also use some to just buy coins directly (many people who have invested big time in mining had wished they had just bought coins instead). If BTC goes back to 1000 you'll sure wish you had some coins on hand instead of fighting an ever increasing mining difficulty.

You could also look into cloud mining which means you don't have to worry about maintaining the miner or electricity costs at all and can begin mining immediately. My personal favorite is PB Mining  (where it is currently 0.58 BTC for 100 GH/s) but never invest more than you can afford to lose in cloud mining, as the operation may fall through. Never invest more than you can afford in anything Bitcoin related, good luck to you sir Wink

Also, yes pre orders have ruined many people, just do a bit of poking around the forums where people have waited 12 months for BFL ASICs and would have been much better off just holding onto their coins instead. Like 1000% better off.
Pages:
Jump to: