Pages:
Author

Topic: 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci-e connector. Word of warning - page 5. (Read 111408 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I dont remember where I got that cable from. It was never used, still in plastic wrapping. I think it came with an old nvidia card (8800gt or so? or perhaps a card that draws only ~75W ).

Anyway, just wanted to show you shouldnt use them for a reason Smiley. I was surprised though, you'd think there is some safety margin on those specs, and 60W to 75W isnt that much a difference.  From now on Ill see those 8 pin PCI-E connectors as a selling point.
Activity: 476
Not positive, but I don't think they make these anymore for this reason. The standard now uses power drawn from two molex powers to one PCIe 6 pin.
Activity: 518
I was running short on 4 pin molex plugs on my PSU. Going through my box of cables I came across a single 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E connector. Just what I needed to get around my shortage. So I did some math

4 pin Molex  is rated for 60W, compared to 75W for PCI-E.
Motherboards supply up 75W.
One PCI-E connector is a proper one, 75W
One 4 pin to 6 pin: 60W

75+75+60=210W. SHould be plenty for a 5850, even with a decent overclock no?

Nope. After one day:

I massacred the cable by pulling it out, but there were and still are clear burnmarks. Dont skimp on this folks, its not worth burning your house down over a cable Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: