Pages:
Author

Topic: 4 vs 8 GB of RAM (Read 1046 times)

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
September 25, 2017, 09:44:56 PM

We have 12 6 GPU rigs (actually 2 of them are 7), and all but 1 are on 120 GB SSDs with Windows 10 Pro. All of the ones on SSD are mining within ~30 seconds of hitting the power button, so I'm curious as to why it's taking so long in your case. Even on A HDD it should be less then that I think...

I really don't know why but this is what happens:

1. BIOS splash screen appears
2. Black screen
3. 3-5 minutes waiting ...
4. Desktop appears

I think it has something to do with the drivers. Im running both nvidia and AMD cards on the same rig.

That might be the difference there. I don't have any experience mixing AMD and NVIDIA together, but it seems plausible to me that it could take longer to boot up that way. Someone else running both NVIDIA and AMD on the same rig will have to verify or disprove that theory though...

We have 12 6 GPU rigs (actually 2 of them are 7), and all but 1 are on 120 GB SSDs with Windows 10 Pro. All of the ones on SSD are mining within ~30 seconds of hitting the power button, so I'm curious as to why it's taking so long in your case. Even on A HDD it should be less then that I think...

*11 of our rigs are on 4GB RAM, the other is 8GB.

Why do you choose windows over Linux and what miner(s) are you using ?

We chose Windows because my wife is the one who deals with the machines the vast majority of the time and that was scary enough for her at first without bringing in a brand new OS on top of it. Windows keys are pretty cheap these days so the tiny extra cost is worth it for us.

have a rig with 4 amd and 1 nvidia. 120 gig m2 sata ssd, 8 gb ram, g1840 cpu, win7 pro. takes about 30 seconds from power on to claymore mining window to appear.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
September 25, 2017, 08:00:47 PM

2. Black screen
4. Desktop appears

I think it has something to do with the drivers. Im running both nvidia and AMD cards on the same rig.

That might be the difference there. I don't have any experience mixing AMD and NVIDIA together, but it seems plausible to me that it could take longer to boot up that way. Someone else running both NVIDIA and AMD on the same rig will have to verify or disprove that theory though...

We chose Windows because my wife is the one who deals with the machines the vast majority of the time and that was scary enough for her at first without bringing in a brand new OS on top of it. Windows keys are pretty cheap these days so the tiny extra cost is worth it for us.
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
September 25, 2017, 07:42:20 PM
Are the AMD cards modded. Do you have the driver patched?
Activity: 784
Merit: 282
September 25, 2017, 07:37:38 PM
If you need ddr4 2400 I'm your guy Cheesy I've got some spare

Wow, thats awful generous of you. Especially if you're sending it for free.
Im subscribing to your channel.

2. Black screen
4. Desktop appears

Activity: 630
Merit: 502
September 24, 2017, 11:37:38 PM
My 6 GPU rig is using less than 400MB of RAM.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
September 24, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
September 24, 2017, 11:14:32 PM

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
September 24, 2017, 10:31:21 PM
I am currently running a 10 GPU mining rig with only 4GB RAM on Windows 10. Just want to share my experience:

-Boot up takes around 3-5 minutes.
-After around 8 hours of mining if you check back the entire screen and all programs (claymore, afterburner, teamviewer, etc) is laggy/choppy

It seems that memory is all used up after some time and you have to restart the computer if you want to reconfigure things. Otherwise, it mines the same. All good and perfectly well. Mining is not affected. If you want fast ROI and dont mind the lag, id say 4gb RAM is enough.

somethign isnt right. 3-5 minutes for  boot?

are you running off a usb?

Thats about right for a 6+ card system. From the time you hit the power button to mining is at least 2-3min.

No, im running off a 160GB SSD. Am I correct to assume that if i upgrade my RAM to 8GB i will have no problems with bootup times and will no longer experience the lag? Or are 6+ GPU systems really stuck with dealing with these bootup times?

I am now actually considering getting another 4GB of RAM if thats the case because waiting for the rig to reboot at least once a day is pretty much a waste of time.

If you need ddr4 2400 I'm your guy Cheesy I've got some spare
September 24, 2017, 08:56:23 PM
I am currently running a 10 GPU mining rig with only 4GB RAM on Windows 10. Just want to share my experience:

-After around 8 hours of mining if you check back the entire screen and all programs (claymore, afterburner, teamviewer, etc) is laggy/choppy

It seems that memory is all used up after some time and you have to restart the computer if you want to reconfigure things. Otherwise, it mines the same. All good and perfectly well. Mining is not affected. If you want fast ROI and dont mind the lag, id say 4gb RAM is enough.

somethign isnt right. 3-5 minutes for  boot?

Thats about right for a 6+ card system. From the time you hit the power button to mining is at least 2-3min.

No, im running off a 160GB SSD. Am I correct to assume that if i upgrade my RAM to 8GB i will have no problems with bootup times and will no longer experience the lag? Or are 6+ GPU systems really stuck with dealing with these bootup times?

I am now actually considering getting another 4GB of RAM if thats the case because waiting for the rig to reboot at least once a day is pretty much a waste of time.
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
90*c is good, right?
September 23, 2017, 03:55:31 PM

somethign isnt right. 3-5 minutes for  boot?

Activity: 366
Merit: 250
September 23, 2017, 02:29:34 PM
I can only confirm 4GB is enough for rigs.
Activity: 134
Merit: 11
September 23, 2017, 02:11:45 PM
8gb can mine ethereum for longer at the highest hashrate.  Their DAG file needs to go into video ram, and it's projected to eventually increase to over 4 gigs in size.  I do believe using any memory usage over 50% is the point where you get performance degradation.  This goes for storage too.  Regular system memory.  Video ram.  Everything.
Activity: 350
September 23, 2017, 12:21:29 PM
4GB works well on my 12 cards rig, don't waste money.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
September 23, 2017, 12:16:28 PM

somethign isnt right. 3-5 minutes for  boot?

Activity: 308
September 23, 2017, 12:05:50 PM
+1 for 8Gb.
In theory 4Gb should be enough but reality says that 4Gb is enough just for OS regardless is it Windows or Linux.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
September 23, 2017, 10:49:46 AM

The cost difference between 4 GB and 8GB of RAM is $60 at most, or less than a week of mining for a 10 card rig. RAM usage by Windows goes up with every new release so if it's already lagging, it's only going to get worse. With a board like the ASRock H110, you can also add more GPU's later without havng to buy additional RAM.
September 23, 2017, 10:39:23 AM

September 23, 2017, 10:33:19 AM
Both will have similar hash rates. However, the 8GB cards typically have better memory and overclock better. They also have a better resale value. At less than a $30 per card difference, you're better off with 8GB cards, IMO.

Not cards, i have 8GB cards, im talking about RAM, not VRAM

It depends on how many cards and if you're planning to run Windows. For a 6-8 card rig on Windows 10, 4 GB is enough. If you want to run more than that on Windows by mixing AMD + Nvidia, go with at least 8 GB. I have 8 AMD RX series cards and 2 Nvidia cards in a Windows 10 rig with 8 GB and the RAM usage is ~40%.
Activity: 207
September 23, 2017, 10:26:35 AM
Both will have similar hash rates. However, the 8GB cards typically have better memory and overclock better. They also have a better resale value. At less than a $30 per card difference, you're better off with 8GB cards, IMO.

Not cards, i have 8GB cards, im talking about RAM, not VRAM
September 23, 2017, 10:24:28 AM
Pages:
Jump to: