Pages:
Author

Topic: >50% attack - page 2. (Read 5278 times)

vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
October 12, 2012, 08:59:06 AM
lol
any miner that can read and uses cgminer can set this up - there is an extensive README file in the folder, at times I have even helped people set this up

I am not sure why you have such a low opinion of miners
you obviously know little of mining or pool operators - extreme opinions though

this is an old subject, if you took any effort to look through these forums you would see it well covered
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
October 10, 2012, 07:32:13 AM
yeah old subject is old
all the good mining software allows to set backup pools, pool 1 goes down it automatic switches to another, pool 1 comes up it auto switches back, pool 1 stays down pool 2 goes down it auto switches to pool 3 etc etc some people set 10 pools
also most of the smarter miners setup p2pool and then solo as last failovers - they are never not mining

move along - nothing to see here Smiley
Activity: 819
Merit: 500
October 10, 2012, 07:12:30 AM
Denial of service attack of the pools... Reduce overal network hashrate... Then you would need substantially less hashing power to get >50% right?

I am naive about the network.... But can you trace back large solo miners from the network as well via IP? That way you could knock out a couple of them as well... Just thinking outloud.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
October 10, 2012, 01:11:51 AM
This is probably a dead horse...

Past dead.  But as long as you took another swing ...

They would probably stockpile a more modest/resonable number of asics/fpgas and launch attacks targeting the top pools.

More hashing against pools helps the pool rather than hurt them.  Or are you talking DDoS, and not doing hashing?

Activity: 819
Merit: 500
October 09, 2012, 11:42:17 PM
This is probably a dead horse... But if anyone wanted to attack bitcoin...

They wouldn't just do it by stockpiling a shitload of asics... They would probably stockpile a more modest/resonable number of asics/fpgas and launch attacks targeting the top pools.

Unless I'm thinking about this wrong you would only need to take out the top 3 or 4 pools and you could cut hashrate really substantially.

If there is a reason this is not feasible please enlighten me. I am rather new so maybe I'm missing something like... How long you'd have to have greater than 50% network hashrate... etc.
Pages:
Jump to: