Pages:
Author

Topic: 50 BTC if you write a complete guide on GPU mining on Ubuntu using ATI - page 5. (Read 102843 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.
I was using v2.1 and I can't get it to work. On v2.2 I finally managed to get it working. It's doing ~250MHash, which is great Smiley. Thanks for all your help!

What was wrong that you were only getting 700Mhash/s?

Happy mining! Smiley
Activity: 607
Merit: 500
I was using v2.1 and I can't get it to work. On v2.2 I finally managed to get it working. It's doing ~250MHash, which is great Smiley. Thanks for all your help!
No, it lists only one. It doesn't list my CPU.
Yes, that's when I got 0 khash/s. I also tried to run other samples from ATI SDK, all are hanging or not working.  Huh

Edit: I switched to SDK v2.2 and I got ~700 khash/s, which is worse that my CPU. What's the matter Huh

Seems like using your CPU. Were you using SDK v.2.1 before?

Does ./poclbm give you two devices?
Yes, that's when I got 0 khash/s. I also tried to run other samples from ATI SDK, all are hanging or not working.  Huh

Edit: I switched to SDK v2.2 and I got ~700 khash/s, which is worse that my CPU. What's the matter Huh
Yes, I omitted it to be fully certain that the path is good.
I did some fiddling here and there and I got to the point where CLInfo showed my card correctly. But I have another problem - poclbm.py doesn't see it. It displays:

• Cypress

In card list. When I pick it, it get's 0 khash/s. Anyone encountered something like this?

Cypress is the name of the GPU. Did you add -d 0 to poclbm.py?
Yes, I omitted it to be fully certain that the path is good.
I did some fiddling here and there and I got to the point where CLInfo showed my card correctly. But I have another problem - poclbm.py doesn't see it. It displays:

• Cypress

In card list. When I pick it, it get's 0 khash/s. Anyone encountered something like this?
ldd command gives me expected output (libOpenCL.so is in the right place).
I've extracted icd-registration to /, so it created /etc/OpenCL/vendors dir and placed two files there
fglrxinfo gives me some info about the card (no error):
Code:
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.1.10524 Compatibility Profile Context

LD_LIBRARY_PATH looks correct, because:
Code:
$ ls $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Gives me a list of six .so / .bc files from SDK lib directory.

Looks to me like you omitted the ":" after exporting the path (marked in red):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/lib/x86_64/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ldd command gives me expected output (libOpenCL.so is in the right place).
I've extracted icd-registration to /, so it created /etc/OpenCL/vendors dir and placed two files there
fglrxinfo gives me some info about the card (no error):
Code:
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.1.10524 Compatibility Profile Context

LD_LIBRARY_PATH looks correct, because:
Code:
$ ls $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Gives me a list of six .so / .bc files from SDK lib directory.
Code:
$ ./CLInfo
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::Error'
  what():  clGetPlatformIDs
Aborted

I'm struggling to get pass this error. Help, anyone?

- I have 64-bit system
- ATI Radeon 5850
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
- DISPLAY is set

I was getting that after I made a typo in the Library path. Triple check it. Smiley
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
- I have 64-bit system
- ATI Radeon 5850
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
- DISPLAY is set

Double check everything up to this point. It must work.

Is fglrxinfo giving you an error? Did you unpack icd-registration.tgz in the correct place? What is the result of
Code:
ldd ./CLInfo
?
Check previous post for correct result.
Code:
$ ./CLInfo
Aborted

- I have 64-bit system
- ATI Radeon 5850
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
- DISPLAY is set
legendary
Activity: 1001
Merit: 1005
I can't get working CL

Code:
$ ./CLInfo

$ ldd ./CLInfo
linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00144000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x004d7000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00eaa000)
libOpenCL.so => /home/serj/stream/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/lib/x86/libOpenCL.so (0x006bb000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x0034b000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00e04000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00585000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00145000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00f3c000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x00ba9000

I did everything by Raulo
What's wrong?

catalyst 10.10, ati stream 2.1, ubuntu 10.10, hd4830

edit
I found mistake:)
I did
Code:
tar zxfv icd-registration.tgz
to sdk folder:)
I've installed everything following this guide and using Radeon HD 5870.
And started nonstop mining for about 10 hours.
Also I've tried change GPU and memory speed, but returned them to default - 850 Mhz.
After it I've turned off mining and start Ioquake3 just for testing.
After enjoing quake for about 10 minutes miner won't start. It says that I have only 1 device avaible for minig - my CPU.
So I've rebooted my PC.

And now I can't get it working. X server freezes on booting with one-color screen.
I've reinstalled Ubuntu - same rusult  Grin
Really can't figure out what's wrong.

Nothing helpfull in Xorg logs

You re-installed complete system without problems (did it get to the "Reboot" button screen)?
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
I've installed everything following this guide and using Radeon HD 5870.
And started nonstop mining for about 10 hours.
Also I've tried change GPU and memory speed, but returned them to default - 850 Mhz.
After it I've turned off mining and start Ioquake3 just for testing.
After enjoing quake for about 10 minutes miner won't start. It says that I have only 1 device avaible for minig - my CPU.
So I've rebooted my PC.

And now I can't get it working. X server freezes on booting with one-color screen.
I've reinstalled Ubuntu - same rusult  Grin
Really can't figure out what's wrong.

Nothing helpfull in Xorg logs

**UPDATE

Looks like my RAdeon don't work propertly. It succesfully started with driver after 10 minutes break.
Sorry for spamming.
1. The final instruction assumes you already have 'bitcoind -server' running. I hadn't realized that the RPC was not optional (and had been assuming the RPC stuff was there for people who were parts of a pool) until someone mentioned the '-server' option and I saw there was no such option in the poclbm code.

This is more miner related thing, you should have checked m0mchil's miner thread for general instructions. The tutorial was written specifically for me and I did not ask for explaining that. Its only purpose was to get me going with my ATI cards.

2. the 'export' library path stuff seems incomplete. I kept getting a libOpenCL.so.1 error with poclbm (which I knew I had installed as part of the tutorial's directions), and eventually slocate told me where it was and I did another export command which went like `export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/nvidia-current/:/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.2-lnx32/lib/x86/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH`

The path quoted by Raulo works perfectly for me (unless obviously you are using the 32-bit version).

3. hardwiring the paths is a little annoying because I had to rewrite all the filepaths (I'm on i386). Maybe this could be turned into a genuine pastable script

Good idea.

4. the tutorial advised me to the 2.1 SDK, but this seemed to lead to odd problems which went away with 2.2. On the other hand, I hadn't rebooted so I'm not entirely sure what was going on there.

Apparently the 2.1 SDK is the most efficient one (for mining purposes) on Linux.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
I just went through this tutorial to get GPU mining working on my Dell studio 17 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5600/5700 & running Ubuntu 10.10. Tutorial basically works (pocl is giving me between 44-49 megahashes), but it has some rough edges.

1. The final instruction assumes you already have 'bitcoind -server' running. I hadn't realized that the RPC was not optional (and had been assuming the RPC stuff was there for people who were parts of a pool) until someone mentioned the '-server' option and I saw there was no such option in the poclbm code.
2. the 'export' library path stuff seems incomplete. I kept getting a libOpenCL.so.1 error with poclbm (which I knew I had installed as part of the tutorial's directions), and eventually slocate told me where it was and I did another export command which went like `export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/nvidia-current/:/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.2-lnx32/lib/x86/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH`
3. hardwiring the paths is a little annoying because I had to rewrite all the filepaths (I'm on i386). Maybe this could be turned into a genuine pastable script
4. the tutorial advised me to the 2.1 SDK, but this seemed to lead to odd problems which went away with 2.2. On the other hand, I hadn't rebooted so I'm not entirely sure what was going on there.
@Raulo just so you know I reinstalled Ubuntu and followed your guide again. The cards are working perfectly now. Thanks again!

I think someone should add a link to this thread in the main m0mchil's miner's thread (like there is one there for doing it with nVidia).

Cheers for your help!
May I ask if this guide will work for multiple ATI 5970s?

Worked for me (after I unsuccessfully tried stock Ubuntu fglrx drivers).
Code:
mahkul@mahkul:~$ dpkg -l |grep fglrx
ii  fglrx                                2:8.801-0ubuntu1~xup~maverick                   Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
ii  fglrx-amdcccle                       2:8.801-0ubuntu1~xup~maverick                   Catalyst Control Center for the ATI graphics accelerators
ii  fglrx-modaliases                     2:8.801-0ubuntu1~xup~maverick                   Identifiers supported by the ATI graphics driver

This is exactly as it should be.

Code:
mahkul@mahkul:~$ sudo apt-get install fglrx
[sudo] password for mahkul:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
fglrx is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 257 not upgraded.

Also correct.

I don't know. Was there any error when installing fglrx? Something is broken. You may have some crap left from previous drivers.

I have the following links
Code:
$ ls -l /etc/ati
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2011-01-07 13:52 /etc/ati -> /etc/alternatives/ati_conf
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/ati_conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2011-01-07 13:52 /etc/alternatives/ati_conf -> /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/ati

You have an error about missing /etc/ati/control so there is something not installed correctly there. Check what package owns the final link

I have
Code:
$ dpkg -S  /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/ati
fglrx: /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/ati

Remove the package (if it is not fglrx). Remove fglrx and install again.

Or try

Code:
$ sudo mv /etc/ati /etc/ati.bak
$ sudo ln -s /etc/alternatives/ati_conf /etc/ati
$ mv /etc/alternatives/ati_conf /etc/alternatives/ati_conf.bak
$ sudo ln -s  /etc/alternatives/ati_conf -> /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/ati

Pages:
Jump to: