Pages:
Author

Topic: 51% can be prevented so long as all nodes agree. - page 4. (Read 2767 times)

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
What do you guys think?

I think you haven't thought this through very well.

How are you going to determine how many blocks a node has submitted?

I am not an expert here but if each node is assigned a signature then IP doesn't matter does it?
Activity: 250
Merit: 253
If the protocol was to be changed as to not allow a node to submit x number of blocks within x time, and all nodes agree to this, it would be a start.

Hashing power is measured by how many blocks are solved by one pool or miner at the day right?

If you can limit that then problem solved.
The problem is that you can't really tell what makes a node. Starting to hit the limit? Just use Tor to switch to a new IP, and voila, you're (indistinguishable from) a new node!

The only thing we trust is the proof of work. If one entity controls more than half of that, then they control the blockchain. Simple as that.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
What do you guys think?

I think you haven't thought this through very well.

How are you going to determine how many blocks a node has submitted?
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
This seems like it could work in theory, but I am no BTC protocol genius to make an educated comment .

I am yet to see any devs comment on this 51% problem that many people are afraid off and is definitely a splinter in Bitcoins foot that keeps itching away at it's reputation. Is this something that is being worked on as I am speaking? If its not then it seems the devs either are clueless or don't give a shit.

I have seen more than 5 media articles claiming that BTC is controlled by one entity, worst fears have now leaked to the media and the media is spinning it sideways, as they do.. How fukn embarrassing is this to see, I absolutely love the idea of BTC and see this just fukn hurts.

Can someone with protocol power please make an announcement and get onto this asap.

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Hi guys,

I just came up with a theory also posted here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7361312

If the protocol was to be changed as to not allow a node to submit x number of blocks within x time, and all nodes agree to this, it would be a start.

Hashing power is measured by how many blocks are solved by one pool or miner at the day right?

If you can limit that then problem solved.

Basically, if the core dev team makes a small change on how blocks are submitted then we will not have 51% attack problems and all pools will grow together as miners will split/point their equipment to various pools at the same time.

Thus eliminating the fear of a 51% attack and all pools can grow together yet remain at decent % levels as to not cause panic again.

What do you guys think?

Pages:
Jump to: