Pages:
Author

Topic: 7970 temps increased by 10C after applying new thermal paste? (Read 10263 times)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250
So............... Has anyone actually tried mayonnaise long-term?
She didn't like it.
I see what you did there Wink
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
She didn't like it.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Coin Generator
it's back down to 64C now

*KNOCKS ON WOOD*
Activity: 714
Coin Generator
I might have put too much thermal paste Sad I'm so greedy!!! URGH
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
hmm.. this is the first I've heard about the curing process (I know, I know, RTFM) can you use the card/cpu while it's curing? Should you put the heatsink on and let it sit for 200 hrs unused?

No it requires heat.  So you use the card but expect temps to be higher for first 200 hours.  BTW all TIM have a curing time but most acheive lowest temps in 2 to 10 hours.

Some people recommend putting the chip under a reduced thermal load during curing time.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
hmm.. this is the first I've heard about the curing process (I know, I know, RTFM) can you use the card/cpu while it's curing? Should you put the heatsink on and let it sit for 200 hrs unused?
Quite the contrary, in fact. Curing progresses faster in high temperatures. Just use the machine like it's supposed to be used, the temperatures will slowly drop by a few degrees.
Activity: 437
...which is precisely why I said that might mean he botched the TIM application somehow and that he needn't have messed with the card.
That's pretty consistent with what you wrote in your first reply, isn't it?

Roadhog, I'll just call it a night, ok? We're going way OT with this conversation and there's precious little to be added.
Activity: 131
People do use paste on the memory modules and vrms depending on what waterblocks they use too.
I don't see how that is pertinent to OP's issue?
+10°C may suggest OP botched the application somehow but we'll only know for sure when the TIM has fully cured.
OP asked a question whether he should let the TIM cure. I addressed this question by linking to manufacturer's recommendations.
He probably needn't have touched the heatsink in the first place but that's another sack of ferrets.

You won't get a 10c decrease from as5 curing.. It's more like 1-2c tops...
People do use paste on the memory modules and vrms depending on what waterblocks they use too.
I don't see how that is pertinent to OP's issue?
+10°C may suggest OP botched the application somehow but we'll only know for sure when the TIM has fully cured.
OP asked a question whether he should let the TIM cure. I addressed this question directly by linking to manufacturer's recommendations.
He probably needn't have touched the heatsink in the first place but that's another sack of ferrets.
Guess you didn't read my link. If you did you would see that with a great contact mount(which is rare), it actually does rather well.
Guess Skinneelabs didn't read Arctic Silver's manual. That TIM requires up to 200 hours of curing which they never bothered with. A shame really.

I don't recommend it for use on GPUs mainly because its a capacitive paste and shouldn't be used anywhere near traces or SMD's.
Never have I managed to use quantities excessive enough for the goop to squeeze out from where it belongs and onto the surrounding components. Therefore, I can hardly accept that as a valid argument against that paste. That having been said, it's a valid data point.

Remember, we're trying to help OP, not argue about world's best TIM Wink

Guess you didn't read my link. If you did you would see that with a great contact mount(which is rare), it actually does rather well.
Guess Skinneelabs didn't read Arctic Silver's manual. That TIM requires up to 200 hours of curing which they never bothered with. A shame really as it blows the objectivity of their tests out of the water.

I don't recommend it for use on GPUs mainly because its a capacitive paste and shouldn't be used anywhere near traces or SMD's.
Never have I managed to use quantities excessive enough for the goop to squeeze out from where it belongs and onto the surrounding components. Therefore, I can hardly accept that as a valid argument against that paste. That having been said, it's a valid data point.

Remember, we're trying to help OP, not argue about world's best TIM Wink
Activity: 642
For what it's worth (from Tom's Hardware):

"Concerned about a possible heat sink seating issue, I took the card apart and put it back together again with fresh thermal paste. Now, AMD doesn’t recommend this because it claims the phase-changing thermal interface material it uses enables a few-degree advantage over normal thermal paste. In light of our negative results, though, we had little to lose by at least trying. In the end, my surgical procedure made no difference, and we recorded the same acoustic output playing through Battlefield 3."

I'd wager that reassembling the card with some decent thermal paste would cause you to end up with something very close to stock though (certainly not 10 degrees higher).
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

Thanks for the tip! Very interesting fact. Actually I would imagine most TIMs would be capacitive when compared to air.  I would be interested in looking at any scientific tests or anecdotal evidences of TIM's dielectric constants.
Since everyone seems to be posting their favorite thermal goop benchmarks, let me hop into the fray:
thermal compound roundup @Hardware Secrets
AS5 kicking some major butt here.
On a more serious note, the Arctic Silver 5 needs up to 200 hours to fully cure, RTFM at leisure.

EDIT: Also, all of your results are pretty much invalid because they tested at widely different core and room temps. We all know that the temp diodes in a cpu aren't linear right? I hope so...
legendary
Now "maybe" the 7970 is better but that would mean they are finally getting their act together ONLY on the 7000 series because 5000 & 6000 are horrible.  Since I am curious 1 BTC open ended bounty to the first person to post a high resolution screenshot of 7970 right after heatsink is removed.

Here's a pic 7970 Heat sink (bottom) and the 7950 heatsink removed from production cards.

The Sapphire 7950 has a vary crappy heatsink fan combo. I have a HIS 6950 card with this same heatsink / fan and it sucks as hell.  

That's actually a 6970 on the bottom and a 7950 on the top.

Yup you are right. Here's a reference design 7970, with cooler and card. TIM application doesn't look out of the world here.
Now "maybe" the 7970 is better but that would mean they are finally getting their act together ONLY on the 7000 series because 5000 & 6000 are horrible.  Since I am curious 1 BTC open ended bounty to the first person to post a high resolution screenshot of 7970 right after heatsink is removed.

Here's a pic 7970 Heat sink (bottom) and the 7950 heatsink removed from production cards.

The Sapphire 7950 has a vary crappy heatsink fan combo. I have a HIS 6950 card with this same heatsink / fan and it sucks as hell.  

That's actually a 6970 on the bottom and a 7950 on the top.

legendary
Since everyone seems to be posting their favorite thermal goop benchmarks, let me hop into the fray:
thermal compound roundup @Hardware Secrets
AS5 kicking some major butt here.

Why would someone use chocolate as a TIM is beyond me!
legendary

http://itlounge.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/5a93a__P1020757.jpg I don't want your BTC though. :p

And, my 6970's had excellent TIM application too...

Thanks. Is this a pic of a card with the reference cooler?
Pages:
Jump to: