Pages:
Author

Topic: 7970 will only mine at 550khash at stock clocks - Lower when OC'ed - HELP (Read 4966 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
I had a thread going about this issue as well.

It is here and may have some useful info -     
Lets Solve the unreliable 7970 issues.... (share your observations/input) - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lets-solve-the-unreliable-7970-issues-share-your-observationsinput-174036

Frankly the most frustrating aspects of this are two things, inability to duplicate results across different brands/versions of 7970s, and absolute non-linear results.  One card 1022/1244 might get 650k, 1022/1450 get 400k, and 1048/1720 get 720k.

They are the fastest cards but something tells me there is some sort of bug we have not found - for example most other cards show little performance variation and there are formulaic settings that can be plugged into any card to get close to max result.

Not so for 7970.  I still have 2 that are fubar.  I don't think I will ever get either one above 600k 24/7.

helpfull, thanks
Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Lets Solve the unreliable 7970 issues.... (share your observations/input) - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lets-solve-the-unreliable-7970-issues-share-your-observationsinput-174036

Frankly the most frustrating aspects of this are two things, inability to duplicate results across different brands/versions of 7970s, and absolute non-linear results.  One card 1022/1244 might get 650k, 1022/1450 get 400k, and 1048/1720 get 720k.

They are the fastest cards but something tells me there is some sort of bug we have not found - for example most other cards show little performance variation and there are formulaic settings that can be plugged into any card to get close to max result.

Not so for 7970.  I still have 2 that are fubar.  I don't think I will ever get either one above 600k 24/7.
I used to believe the 7970 wasn't at full potential in the 750khs range for similar reasons, also since it seems more powerful than the difference in hash it gives. So always thought it might be miner optimization that would unlock its potential.

Recently though I have been getting hints towards the memory bus being the bottleneck. We can extropolate that from the Tahiti LE only getting 400khs because of its 256bus.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

It's like a gearbox, with the core, memory speed, thread concurrency, gpu threads, and who knows what else, all as separate gears. If you don't have quite the ought ratio on any of the moing pieces, your hash rate suffers.

right getting good hasrates now, but it seems theres a lot of stales, and my pool is returning a ~20-30% lower return than is quoted on my computer. what can be causing this?
HW errors will often be caused by too high/low thread concurrency or GPU threads. Play with those.

0 HW errors.. but ill try thread concurrency etc. increase concurrency by 128 increments? 12000 g2 and 24000 g2 dont work for me

If its not HW errors, perhaps try different ports that your pool accepts or try a different pool (at least just to test).

24000 g2 shouldn't work for anyone. 12000 g2 doesn't for everyone, although I found a little bug for that config to work you must first run g1 then close, then g2.

If you're getting good rates and stales (not errors) you're on the right path. Means hardware config is right, now onto network Tongue. Thankfully, network is pretty much limited to pool config.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Your pool calculates your hash rate based on the work it accepts. It doesn't count the stales.

Stales are a pool issue. Try a different one.

thanks for the info, may be a coincidence but at lower hash rates the numbers coinceded
Your pool calculates your hash rate based on the work it accepts. It doesn't count the stales.

Stales are a pool issue. Try a different one.
right getting good hasrates now, but it seems theres a lot of stales, and my pool is returning a ~20-30% lower return than is quoted on my computer. what can be causing this?
HW errors will often be caused by too high/low thread concurrency or GPU threads. Play with those.

0 HW errors.. but ill try thread concurrency etc. increase concurrency by 128 increments? 12000 g2 and 24000 g2 dont work for me
seconds after typing that it seems i have hit a sweet spot....what an idiot. still only 620-650, but im not complaining
The thing about those sweet spots is they are not linear. You will usually hover around a certain value no matter what, then change the clock (or another setting) by like 5mhz and boom you jump from 600 to 720.

thanks, going to be a long evening

edit

also what are the benefits of using msi AB over CCC?

this is bonkers....1400 i get 530.  1405 i get 600. 1410 i get 530.  bonkers
seconds after typing that it seems i have hit a sweet spot....what an idiot. still only 620-650, but im not complaining
The thing about those sweet spots is they are not linear. You will usually hover around a certain value no matter what, then change the clock (or another setting) by like 5mhz and boom you jump from 600 to 720.

EDIT

nope computer crashed as usual with any OC
i appreciate all the help and comments.  ive tried increasing each setting gradually.  if i do get ~600khash there are plenty of HW failures and it eventually bottoms out at 400  (btw 13.3 seems much more stable for OC). i find it hard to believe that even if i did hit the "sweet spot" i would get 750 khash.  just seems impossible.
Marss I'm working on the same issue, I'm glad you found the optimal setup. Can you please a screenshot of your clock speeds and all of that? I'm really new and just bought 2x7970 so I'm not really sure where to set those speeds and screenshot would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Keep in mind that the optimal setting is different for every card. I set my clock speeds at the cgminer command line. The full command would look like this:

Code:
cgminer -o pool.url -u user -p pass --gpu-powertune 20 --gpu-fan 0-100 --gpu-engine 1024 --gpu-memclock 1692 -I 13 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192 -g 2
Activity: 22
I just wanted to add my BTC0.02.  As it has been mentioned, for those new to this, you must work through the settings on your own.  I have two (supposedly) identical 7970s and they can't operate at the same clocks, but get nearly the same rates.

I have 2x Gigabyte 7970 OC edition, model GV-R797OC-3GD.  One at 1054/1500, the other at 1070/1500.  For both, --thread-concurrency=8192, -g2, and -I13  (cgminer 2.11.3, ubuntu 12.10, Catalyst 13.1 and SDK 2.8 ).  I'm getting 745 kHash/s and 750 kHash/s, respectively.  These two cards do seem to be different, as the first is locked at 1.170V and the second at 1.110V.  Well, they might not be voltage locked, but cgminer isn't able to change voltages.

Again, these settings probably won't work (exactly) for you, but they might be a good staring place as they aren't too aggressive.

The main point of my post is to say that -g2 should be tried on the poorly performing 7970s, also with lower thread concurrencies.  No matter what I do, I can't get either of my 7970s above 600 khps when attempting -g1 and high thread concurrencies.  On any version of cgminer that I've used, these settings produce nearly the exact same results.

(edited for spelling)
yeah of course. The clocks card can achieve are extremely variable factor, but I hold my point that in general, same clock/ clock ratio will often deliver similar results

I can't really agree or disagree (though my apologies for sounding as though I did disagree).  I suspect that your statement holds for same manufacturer/model cards, but not necessarily between manufacturers, even in the same series.

While this is a limited sample size, I also have an MSI Twin Frozr 7950 and an XFX Double D? 7950.  The XFX can do 1150/1750 for 680 khps and the MSI goes unstable at any memclocks past 1500.  My best settings with the MSI are 1080/1500 for 625 khps.
I just wanted to add my BTC0.02.  As it has been mentioned, for those new to this, you must work through the settings on your own.  I have two (supposedly) identical 7970s and they can't operate at the same clocks, but get nearly the same rates.

I have 2x Gigabyte 7970 OC edition, model GV-R797OC-3GD.  One at 1054/1500, the other at 1070/1500.  For both, --thread-concurrency=8192, -g2, and -I13  (cgminer 2.11.3, ubuntu 12.10, Catalyst 13.1 and SDK 2.8 ).  I'm getting 745 kHash/s and 750 kHash/s, respectively.  These two cards do seem to be different, as the first is locked at 1.170V and the second at 1.110V.  Well, they might not be voltage locked, but cgminer isn't able to change voltages.

Again, these settings probably won't work (exactly) for you, but they might be a good staring place as they aren't too aggressive.

The main point of my post is to say that -g2 should be tried on the poorly performing 7970s, also with lower thread concurrencies.  No matter what I do, I can't get either of my 7970s above 600 khps when attempting -g1 and high thread concurrencies.  On any version of cgminer that I've used, these settings produce nearly the exact same results.

(edited for spelling)
yeah of course. The clocks card can achieve are extremely variable factor, but I hold my point that in general, same clock/ clock ratio will often deliver similar results
Activity: 22

(edited for spelling)
so you'd recommend installing 13.3, trying that.  if not upgrade sdk to 2.7 etc to 2.8?

does 13.1 include sdk?

or is sdk downloaded independently.... < newbie
AFAIK, 13.1 is funky. The latest beta 13.3 (beta 3) seems to have unanimous good result.

Start at 2.6 SDK and upgrade to 2.7 if its funky, and 2.8 if that wasn't better.
Pages:
Jump to: