Pages:
Author

Topic: 7990 reaches 99C within a few minutes ... cause for concern? - page 2. (Read 1499 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Just want to know, have you plugged the 7990 straight onto the motherboard or are using a riser cable.
are you mining sha256 or scrypt coins, im guessing scrypt coins due to the temps.

well ive had my 2 x 7990 for a month now, one of my cards use to reach 110 degrees I was concerned about this a lot, but it seems these cards can handle the heat, but wouldn't recommend it.

you will definitely need to under-volt your 7990 to get lower temps. as everyone's setup is different you will need to find your optimal setting for your card, now my 7990's don't go above 85 degress.

hope this helps you

Thanks that's reassuring. I'll probably leave this one as it is overnight now as its level at ~98 then try to lower the core voltage tomorrow. Lowering -I from 13 to 12 drops it down to 800mh/s, so is not really practical if I want to mine the max amount.

It's plugged into the motherboard, and yes mining scrypt. Getting at least 650mh/s out of each at it's current rate, so 1300 in total.

Anyone else get imperfections on their monitor when it's running full whack too? I'm currently getting pixelated boxes popping up randomly all over until I move a window around.
Did you undervolt?

I'm just downloading MSIafterburner beta so I can change the core voltage and lower it a bit. That's what you mean by undervolt, right?

Fans on 100%?

Yup.

Case or open rig?

Its a case but I always keep the side panel off as im always adding and taking things out.

Additional fans to cool the rig?

Nope nice idea though I might target a desktop fan at it from the outside Smiley

Ambient temperature?

~20C
Activity: 216
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Just want to know, have you plugged the 7990 straight onto the motherboard or are using a riser cable.
are you mining sha256 or scrypt coins, im guessing scrypt coins due to the temps.

well ive had my 2 x 7990 for a month now, one of my cards use to reach 110 degrees I was concerned about this a lot, but it seems these cards can handle the heat, but wouldn't recommend it.

you will definitely need to under-volt your 7990 to get lower temps. as everyone's setup is different you will need to find your optimal setting for your card, now my 7990's don't go above 85 degress.

hope this helps you
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Did you undervolt?
Fans on 100%?
Case or open rig?
Additional fans to cool the rig?
Ambient temperature?

They will endure 99°C but I don't recommend it.
I just got my 7990 and have only had it up and running for about 10-20 minutes, however one of the GPUs nearly instantly seems to be climbing to 98-99C, and each time it's got that high I have turned off CGminer as I'm worried I might fry the card the first day I have it. It's hit 100C a few times.

Before I start fiddling with the figures and try and make it run a bit slower, is hovering around the 95-99C mark ok for a GPU? It's just so much higher than my previous one I am not sure of the risks involved in running it so hot. Are we talking complete hardware failure as an eventuality by running it too high, or do these cards have a built in function to stop them getting damaged from overheating?
Pages:
Jump to: