Pages:
Author

Topic: 7x 7970's, PCI-E 16x-connected cards not working - page 2. (Read 12450 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Some motherboards only let you use a certain number or configuration of slots.

IE, on one of my motherboards, I can use the top one of the two x16 slots and the 3 x1 slots, or both the x16 slots but none of the x1 slots.

This should be stated in the manual, so check there first.
NLA
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
How does I shot web?
I've built a nice dual-GPU rig with 7x 7970's in an open-air rig I made from spare parts. 5 of them are connected to the motherboard via 1x to 16x riser cables, and 2 are connected via 16x to 16x riser cables. The 5 connected via 1x to 16x work just fine and can be mined, but the 2 connected via 16x to 16x have some sort of issue and are not available for mining. In Windows Device Manager, the 2 cards list "Code 43" as the error, and they are being prevented from starting. I've done a clean driver re-install with atiman, and I'm using the 11.12 drivers (which support up to 8 GPU's), and I have no idea what has gone wrong. I wonder if I need powered 16x to 16x risers from cablesaurus (or somewhere cheaper, preferably).

Anyone have a similar issue?

• 7x 7970's: 2 Diamond's, 5 Sapphire's
  • Dual GPU's: 1x 1600W (connected to 5 GPUs), 1x 750W (connected to 2 GPUs)
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • AMD 11.12 Drivers, for >5 GPU support
  • Clean driver re-install with ATIMan completed, same issue
  • 1x to 16x cards recognized and functional
  • 16x to 16x cards non-functional, code 43 in Device Manager

Halp? Sad

PS Please no one buy the dual fan Sapphire cards, they look impressive but the fans don't spin fast enough to cool worth a damn (~3300RPM cap), and they're not designed properly to move heat out the back of the card (they just gently direct heat everywhere).

EDIT: Just connected one of the 16x to 16x cards to another slot via 1x to 16x cable, works just fine. The issue is definitely either the cable or the 16x slot. Halp?
Pages:
Jump to: