Pages:
Author

Topic: 9-9-9 - page 2. (Read 4631 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
October 26, 2011, 02:50:00 PM
The preferable solution is numerous small sovereign bodies where common but small groups can have their own way. If you're outvoted, you have to move no further than an hour or so.

Add in a federal body for the stuff the small sovereign bodies can't really do alone and you would have a great idea for a constitution.
That's not even followed.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
October 26, 2011, 02:46:19 PM
The preferable solution is numerous small sovereign bodies where common but small groups can have their own way. If you're outvoted, you have to move no further than an hour or so.

Add in a federal body for the stuff the small sovereign bodies can't really do alone and you would have a great idea for a constitution.
October 26, 2011, 02:38:04 PM
legendary
October 26, 2011, 02:31:59 PM
Is your house inanimate enough?  You own a house.  But if a road needs to pass through it, you lose ownership of the house.  Your ownership was a legal right until society decided that a greater good was at stake.

I kinda figured you'd say that. I suppose if society voted that all ugly people be put to death, we'd justify that one too, or slavery, or old age, or abortion, or eminent domain, or.... I could go on if you like.

You should draw the line at the initiation of force, otherwise government can (and will) grow without bounds. Look what we have now. It's a product of crossing the line on what the definition of property is. If you take other people's property for convenience sake, you will always be violated, ad infinitum.

Given the arbitrariness of involuntary governing practices, similar to what you suggest, ultimately marches us in the direction of tyrannical totalitarianism. It may not be in your lifetime, but it will eventually happen if we don't stand up and assert our rights. Most people only care about themselves and the here and now, unconcerned about what kind of future they will leave their children.

Will we ever learn from our past? I wonder sometimes.

The problem with your logic is that it assumes people want to live in a totalitarian society.  History tells us that if given the choice, people vote to create societies that are pleasant to live in.  I strongly disagree with abortion but I am outvoted.  You strongly disagree with eminent domain but you are outvoted. Unless we are prepared to use violence, you have to accept that we are outvoted.   In both our cases, being outvoted is far preferable to resorting to violence, don't you agree?
October 26, 2011, 02:11:36 PM
The day McDonald's workers are hailed for a value of hundreds of dollar per hour is when leaves will be treated as currency.
Activity: 950
October 26, 2011, 02:10:22 PM
When a poor man invests in a bicycle to increase his wealth, he's taxed regardless of outcome. When a rich man invests in stocks, he's only taxed if he profits.

If someone invested in a bicycle to "increase their wealth", it becomes immediately apparent why they're poor.  "Things" generally depreciate in value, that's a horrible investment (:

It's a great investment! You can get a better job, buy better goods, meet more people! I'm not suggesting the bike sits around doing nothing.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
October 26, 2011, 02:09:17 PM
Is your house inanimate enough?  You own a house.  But if a road needs to pass through it, you lose ownership of the house.  Your ownership was a legal right until society decided that a greater good was at stake.

I kinda figured you'd say that. I suppose if society voted that all ugly people be put to death, we'd justify that one too, or slavery, or old age, or abortion, or eminent domain, or.... I could go on if you like.

You should draw the line at the initiation of force, otherwise government can (and will) grow without bounds. Look what we have now. It's a product of crossing the line on what the definition of property is. If you take other people's property for convenience sake, you will always be violated, ad infinitum.

Given the arbitrariness of involuntary governing practices, similar to what you suggest, ultimately marches us in the direction of tyrannical totalitarianism. It may not be in your lifetime, but it will eventually happen if we don't stand up and assert our rights. Most people only care about themselves and the here and now, unconcerned about what kind of future they will leave their children.

Will we ever learn from our past? I wonder sometimes.
vip
Activity: 156
Merit: 103
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
October 26, 2011, 01:42:08 PM
When a poor man invests in a bicycle to increase his wealth, he's taxed regardless of outcome. When a rich man invests in stocks, he's only taxed if he profits.

If someone invested in a bicycle to "increase their wealth", it becomes immediately apparent why they're poor.  "Things" generally depreciate in value, that's a horrible investment (:
vip
Activity: 156
Merit: 103
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
October 26, 2011, 01:38:09 PM
And then you have to pay 9% again when you actually use your earned money. And prices will be higher due to increased production costs.

My dad supported Cain until I told him that 9-9-9 included a 9% sales tax.

18% (9% on income, 9% on consumption) is still way less than what I'm paying now in Federal income tax.  It may not be perfect, but at least it's a step in the right direction...
legendary
October 26, 2011, 01:14:28 PM
"As Lysander Spooner said it, "The proprietor of any thing has the right to an exclusive ownership, control, and dominion, of and over the thing of which he is the proprietor...  He has a right, as against all other men, to control it according to his own will and pleasure... Others have no right to take it from him, against his will; nor to exercise any authority, control, or dominion over it, without his consent; nor to impede, nor obstruct him in the exercise of such dominion over it, as he chooses to exercise. It is not theirs, but his. They must leave it entirely subject to his will. His will, and not their wills, must control it. The only limitation, which any or all others have a right to impose upon his use and disposal of it, is, that he shall not so use it as to the equal supremacy, dominion, and control of others, over what is their own."

That is saying that you have the right to burn your dog and no-one has the right to stop you.  Which simply isn't true.

Can we just leave out the biological issue for the moment and focus on the inanimate object for a second? I love puppies too, so let's not go there just yet. Kapeesh?

Is your house inanimate enough?  You own a house.  But if a road needs to pass through it, you lose ownership of the house.  Your ownership was a legal right until society decided that a greater good was at stake.
October 26, 2011, 01:09:12 PM
"As Lysander Spooner said it, "The proprietor of any thing has the right to an exclusive ownership, control, and dominion, of and over the thing of which he is the proprietor...  He has a right, as against all other men, to control it according to his own will and pleasure... Others have no right to take it from him, against his will; nor to exercise any authority, control, or dominion over it, without his consent; nor to impede, nor obstruct him in the exercise of such dominion over it, as he chooses to exercise. It is not theirs, but his. They must leave it entirely subject to his will. His will, and not their wills, must control it. The only limitation, which any or all others have a right to impose upon his use and disposal of it, is, that he shall not so use it as to the equal supremacy, dominion, and control of others, over what is their own."

That is saying that you have the right to burn your dog and no-one has the right to stop you.  Which simply isn't true.

Can we just leave out the biological issue for the moment and focus on the inanimate object for a second? I love puppies too, so let's not go there just yet. Kapeesh?
legendary
October 26, 2011, 01:00:21 PM
I can't find the quote.  It was something along the lines of "If you own something, you can do as you please with it under natural law.." but I can't remember where I saw it Sad

Why don't you just address what I quoted. It seems complete enough; at least within the context of theft, taxing, society, contract and property. Now try to justify your taxing entity. You can always find something somebody said that probably isn't perfectly spoken or written. Notwithstanding, that doesn't necessarily mean everything they said before or after that is a lie and untruthful. That would be just a teensy weensy bit harsh don't you think? I mean seriously, nobody's perfect.

October 26, 2011, 12:56:13 PM
I can't find the quote.  It was something along the lines of "If you own something, you can do as you please with it under natural law.." but I can't remember where I saw it Sad

Why don't you just address what I quoted. It seems complete enough; at least within the context of theft, taxing, society, contract and property. Now try to justify your taxing entity. You can always find something somebody said that probably isn't perfectly spoken or written. Notwithstanding, that doesn't necessarily mean everything they said before or after that is a lie and untruthful. That would be just a teensy weensy bit harsh don't you think? I mean seriously, nobody's perfect.
legendary
October 26, 2011, 12:36:03 PM
The part where he says you are entitled to torture and kill your pets.  Its a fundamental misunderstanding of property rights.

What/where did you read that? I certainly didn't quote anything like that. Try again.

October 26, 2011, 12:24:47 PM
The part where he says you are entitled to torture and kill your pets.  Its a fundamental misunderstanding of property rights.

What/where did you read that? I certainly didn't quote anything like that. Try again.
legendary
October 26, 2011, 12:14:03 PM
Spooner was wrong.  As we discussed earlier, you can own a dog but you don't have a right to set it on fire. 

Cute little furry rabbits aside, what part of Spooner's definition of property and ownership are you not in agreement with?

October 26, 2011, 12:11:41 PM
Spooner was wrong.  As we discussed earlier, you can own a dog but you don't have a right to set it on fire. 

Cute little furry rabbits aside, what part of Spooner's definition of property and ownership are you not in agreement with?
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
October 26, 2011, 12:01:24 PM

I've never signed nor recognized such contract and yet they force me to give them money.

apparently, you dont understand the term "social contract".

I do know what authoritarians mean when they say 'social contract'. This guy makes a good irony on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQdw2K59x4&

It should be clear to anyone that such "social contract" is an illusion, invented to justify the unjustifiable.
You can't make a contract over something you don't legitimately own. And taking something by force, or building something using resources taken by force, isn't a legitimate way of owning anything. (and as that isn't enough, states attack whoever decides to compete with them in the same territory)

Governments would only be legitimate if they had been built voluntarily, with true contracts, since the beginning. And that's not the case for any state in this world, not even Monaco.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
daytrader/superhero
October 26, 2011, 11:56:41 AM
Is the social contract of the USA not the US constitution?

social contract is a philosophical concept and/or political theory, not a legal document, so no. 
legendary
October 26, 2011, 11:54:03 AM
Welcome back Fred.  Still not worked out the whole society concept I see.  Just to remind you, people do get together and act for their common good.  The action requires money.  Taxation is the mechanism used to pay for it.  You continue to make the confusion that if you think the spending is wrong, then the tax must be wrong too. 

Oh, I get the whole society "concept". There's nothing wrong with individuals collectively working together to achieve a goal. That's just like any association, or solidarity. Name your flavor (Rotary Club, Red Cross, Religious groups, Insurance companies, etc.). The same could be said of a government except that they too must form in a voluntary way otherwise it isn't free association anymore but force and coercion. That isn't what we call "consent to be governed".

I have no problem with spending your money on any number of things, just so long as those activities don't infringe on the freedoms of others. As Lysander Spooner said it, "The proprietor of any thing has the right to an exclusive ownership, control, and dominion, of and over the thing of which he is the proprietor...  He has a right, as against all other men, to control it according to his own will and pleasure... Others have no right to take it from him, against his will; nor to exercise any authority, control, or dominion over it, without his consent; nor to impede, nor obstruct him in the exercise of such dominion over it, as he chooses to exercise. It is not theirs, but his. They must leave it entirely subject to his will. His will, and not their wills, must control it. The only limitation, which any or all others have a right to impose upon his use and disposal of it, is, that he shall not so use it as to the equal supremacy, dominion, and control of others, over what is their own."

Pages:
Jump to: