Pages:
Author

Topic: 9 GPUs in Windows ok, but Miner won't start - page 2. (Read 2850 times)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0
September 22, 2017, 02:04:20 PM
I have 9 GPU working but is a Mix of 8 RX 580 and 1 GTX 1070, I can add more GTX 1070 but zero RX 580 because  windows 10 only supports 8 of each Nvidiai + AMD mix as far as I know.

The fact that you can see 9 of the Nvidia on device manger with no error is good start since we always see some type of error when adding more then 8 of the same.  

Have you try with claymore 10 ?

Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
September 22, 2017, 01:33:58 PM
Hi,

my rig (Asus Prime Z270-A + MSI 1060) works well, when booting up with 8 GPUs (using 1 M.2 -> PCIe adapter).
When booting up with 9 GPUs (using 2 M.2 -> PCIe adapter) the 9 cards appear correctly in Windows 10 64 Bit (8 GB RAM), but miner (tried Claymore and ethminer) won't start.

See the pics. Do you have any plan, why it doesn't work with 9 GPUs? I heard, that one can't use GPUs in both M.2 slots of the Asus Prime Z270-A, but Windows discovered both GPUs correctly:

OP can you please try using half the cards in Claymore, and the rest in another miner?
Activity: 311
Merit: 69
PowerMining.pw
September 22, 2017, 09:35:01 AM
Im currently running SMOS(find it in another thread here on the forums) with 11 Nvidia GPU`s. Its is based on Ubuntu, costs 2usd each month - Works very good, i recommend using it.
Activity: 729
Merit: 114
September 21, 2017, 09:48:17 PM
Windows 10 only supports up to 8 unless you mix up Nvidia and AMDs. If you want 8+, go with Linux

This might be correct.  Anyways I have 9 gpus working on Win 10.  AMD+Nvidia cards.

Activity: 184
Merit: 101
Which Linux distro does support more than 8 NVIDIA GPUs?
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
I Mine Anything and Everything!
Windows 10 only supports up to 8 unless you mix up Nvidia and AMDs. If you want 8+, go with Linux
I did of course enable 4G decoding, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to get 6 cards working. Here we are talking about the difference between 8 and 9 GPUs, if you missed that part.
Activity: 644
Merit: 292
enableG 4G decode from bios
Did your friend use NVIDIA or AMD cards?
Which Linux distribution do you suggest for NVIDIA?
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
My friend had the same issue. But, you know, it was all gone, when he moved to Linux! Try this platform too!
Which OS does really support more than 8 NVIDIA cards? ethOS and simpleminingOS are saxing both max. 8 NVIDIA.
Or which OS do you think gan handle more?
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
the solution is to run less cards if you wont try another OS
Today I tried it again, and disabled the integrated graphics controller of my Asus Prime Z270-A mainboard.
Now only 9 GPUs are showing up in Windows device manager, but the same problem: Mining does not start.
Does anyone has a solution or work-around for that problem?
I tried with 8 GB RAM and 20 GB virtual memory. Did not work.
Won't switch to linux now because only 1 GPU more possible.
Isn't there a solution for Win 10?
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
I have a clean install of Win dows 10 64 Bit v1703 (Creator's Update) on that rig. Maybe, that's a reason, why I can see 10 GPUs in my device manager?
But it does not help me to see them in device manager, if I can't start mining on the 9th GPU.
What do you think is the reason, that it won't start on the 9th GPU? Maybe cause I put PCIE adapter in both M.2 slot?

I could recheck this, when my PCIE splitters will arrive.
Maybe in the meantime I can also check again and look in the event viewer. Where exactly should I find the reason?

One said here, "for more than 8 GPUs got to linux". But which linux distro does support more than 8 NVIDIA GPUs? I have read that ethOS and simpleminingOS are also limitted to 8 NVIDIA. Or am I weong?
try  nvOC, there are a few 9 cards mobos in its fully supported list, find it in this forum.
Activity: 33
Have You solved?

I touched similar problem at the border of 7/8 GPU, increasing virtual memory solved.
I have a clean install of Win dows 10 64 Bit v1703 (Creator's Update) on that rig. Maybe, that's a reason, why I can see 10 GPUs in my device manager?
But it does not help me to see them in device manager, if I can't start mining on the 9th GPU.
What do you think is the reason, that it won't start on the 9th GPU? Maybe cause I put PCIE adapter in both M.2 slot?

I could recheck this, when my PCIE splitters will arrive.
Maybe in the meantime I can also check again and look in the event viewer. Where exactly should I find the reason?

One said here, "for more than 8 GPUs got to linux". But which linux distro does support more than 8 NVIDIA GPUs? I have read that ethOS and simpleminingOS are also limitted to 8 NVIDIA. Or am I weong?
Activity: 28
What does event viewer say?

The fact that you say see 9 GPU's is good news.
Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
max supported gpu for win is 8 gpu if im not mistaken, anything more than 8 go linux.

Thats what I thought, but then I saw 9 GPU's aside from the Intel 510 on that guys device manager and I'm thinking somethings changed in the latest Win10 update maybe ... worth testing.
Pages:
Jump to: