Pages:
Author

Topic: 9 million USD per month is looking for ways to jump into Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 3039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
keep in mind this is 9M a MONTH, that's over 100M a year.

interesting comments here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/backpagecom-credit-cards_n_7705708.html

and so it begins....

...and so it continues. They are accepting Bitcoin/Litecoin/Dogecoin

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/backpage-accepts-bitcoin-as-visa-mastercard-set-embargos/33625

Backpage aint stupid, see that "how do I buy",

Backpage is not stupid.
legendary
Lmao, it won't help the price, I remember microsoft accepted bitcoin, bitcoin had 10% rise rally, and after that news, bitcoin was dumped to lowest 150 USD, so any good news can't help, unless big whales are buying buying and buying.

Btc has been bearish for a long time, it is fluctuating for several months, IMO bitcoin will have a big rise when it halves the block reward, or any good news can't help bitcoin rise significantly.

This guy jus does not get it on single bit.  Sorry bro... comparing microsoft to this.... makes zero sense.

You can still buy microsoft stuff with visa, you CANNOT buy ad space anymore on the adult section of backpage with visa, the only opition is crypto.

I don't know of any other busniess that ONLY accepts bitcoin.. this is a first.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/backpagecom-credit-cards_n_7705708.html

and so it begins....

...and so it continues. They are accepting Bitcoin/Litecoin/Dogecoin

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/backpage-accepts-bitcoin-as-visa-mastercard-set-embargos/33625

legendary
Backpage could lose a lot of business. I'm sure that a lot of those $9 million come from credit card payments for their services.

I think you are right. But it seems Backpage doesn't have a choice. They need to find a way for their payment processes. It will surely be a big hit for them but surely better than giving up.

Do you think these chicks are going to go work on the street or learn about BTC?  The pigs LOVE to push their unjust power on people.. they will not want to return to that kind of oppression IMO.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
I would like to see some sort of platform that lets bitcoin users buy special deals with bitcoin, most like a special coupon page but most of this deals could be unique just for the page, 9m a month could do the trick to setup one nice business.
legendary
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

and so it begins....

Yeah, it is 9 million per month, but you also need to understand two things;

-The advertiser is not interested in having bitcoin, they want to pay for their ad space and that's it.
-The site takes those bitcoins, but also doesn't want to keep it, but rather exchange it for fiat asap.

I'm not saying these news are not good, because they are, they are promoting bitcoin and showing how it can be used where other payment methods are failing,but
to think or claim how this will bring bitcoin itself 9 million per month influx just because the trading in that amount will happen is not true. The price shouldn't be affected much imho.

cheers
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

and so it begins....
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1530
Agree! it would have less impact on the Bitcoin price since most coins would be converted to fiat money immediately. i would even expect a declining price because liquity will rise.

It will probably only add volume as it gets converted to fiat right away, just as with other businesses..
Activity: 490
Captain
Interesing. Just show that bitcoin cannot die at this point of time (unless the dev fuck up that fork).
There will always be a market for digital currency which are not regualted.
That is actually one of the strongest features of bitcoins, which people tends to overlook: bitcoin is unregulated.
Activity: 366
Merit: 250
I love this. Let them shoot themselves in the foot. The more companies these credit card corporations refuse to work with the more they will flock to bitcoin. Bitcoin is unique in that it can break free of censorship and I think that's the most beautiful thing about it.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010
In Satoshi I Trust
If there was a sudden influx of 9 million USD added to bitcoin per month that would send the price up significantly.
I think the IF really needs to be repeated. Will the users at backpage start using bitcoin? I think there will be some that do, since they know it's a good source to gain customers but how many actually convert vs finding a new site, 10%, 30%?

influx but also an outflux  Wink - so just more liquidity
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
In May 31, 2015 Andreas Antonopoulos predicted bitcoin price to tank in June, 2015.

I’m not worried about a bitcoin hard fork.  I expect more panicked bitcoin obituaries will be written this month. Bitcoin is more resillient

That's not a prediction that the price will tank. It is a prediction that others will predict the price to tank - to the point of Death Of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Lmao, it won't help the price, I remember microsoft accepted bitcoin, bitcoin had 10% rise rally, and after that news, bitcoin was dumped to lowest 150 USD, so any good news can't help, unless big whales are buying buying and buying.

Btc has been bearish for a long time, it is fluctuating for several months, IMO bitcoin will have a big rise when it halves the block reward, or any good news can't help bitcoin rise significantly.

it might help more than MS.  with MS, people arent forced to use BTC, with BP they are.
Activity: 686
Why am I hearing about this site just now? Is it new? Its a hell of a PR move for them for sure.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
More important for Bitcoin is greece situation. People realize that their money is not theirs, untill it is bitcoin.
Activity: 840

legendary
Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050
It's a good news for bitcoin price, taking the traffic where others are failing, but there's now also question; do we want bitcoin to help in cases of prostitution,trafficking,etc..

And i doubt that bitpay is going to be onboard this one, since they are US based, and if they implement them, they will be the ones attacked next.
Bitcoin there will be probably used for payments, but the owners will have to exchange them manually i guess, and then they will probably be accused of money laundering, why? because that's USA, that's why.

cheers

The easiest solution I see to this problem is BackPage shifting their base out of USA.
legendary
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
It's a good news for bitcoin price, taking the traffic where others are failing, but there's now also question; do we want bitcoin to help in cases of prostitution,trafficking,etc..

And i doubt that bitpay is going to be onboard this one, since they are US based, and if they implement them, they will be the ones attacked next.
Bitcoin there will be probably used for payments, but the owners will have to exchange them manually i guess, and then they will probably be accused of money laundering, why? because that's USA, that's why.

cheers
Activity: 525
I wonder if they will ever be able to process credit cards again. They might become Bitcoin only forever, I'd love to know how that affects their sales and demographics.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023
It is great to have more adoption for bitcoin, but this could bring more negative press to bitcoin if people are associating it with prostitution, etc. Similarly to have a lot of non bitcoin users associate bitcoins with drugs and silkroad lol.
Pages:
Jump to: