Author

Topic: 9 posts by 0 user deleted? (Read 291 times)

copper member
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1898
Amazon Prime Member #7
September 05, 2021, 09:31:03 AM
Clearly, either code was "stepped on" or code was changed that interferes with accurate reporting of deletions from self-moderated threads.
I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by stepped on, but I'm assuming that means changed by Theymos or someone with admin privileges.

Yes, I was trying to say the code was unintentionally changed, either because the code that displays the number of users was changed, or because the output of code that the above display code depends on was changed.

Per theymos above, this has to do with old deleted posts being removed from the forum database. Depending on when this was implemented in relation to when the feature to display the number of posts deleted from a self mod thread was implemented, either I was right, or theymos did not consider certain edge cases when writing the code for this feature.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
September 05, 2021, 09:05:00 AM
Clearly, either code was "stepped on" or code was changed that interferes with accurate reporting of deletions from self-moderated threads.
I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by stepped on, but I'm assuming that means changed by Theymos or someone with admin privileges.  If that's the case, could they have made it any more confusing?  Why not make it obvious what's meant?  

It's a bug.
Hopefully it is that and not just Theymos making the meaning of things even more obscure than they already are--and if you need examples of that, just take a look at some of the forum rules, the trust system, and probably a few other aspects of the forum as well.  

I remember back when cryptohunter was trolling the forum there used to be a way to tell how many posts had been deleted in self-moderated threads, but I don't remember the display looking anything like what OP showed.  Did that change?

Edit: Oh crap, I missed Theymos's post right above me.  Thanks for clarifying that, boss of bosses.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
September 05, 2021, 07:32:11 AM
The bug exists because old deleted posts are eventually removed from the database, and I didn't account for this when implementing the selfmod stats, so the data on which posts were created by which users is missing for old deleted posts.

The message will now say something like "(9 posts by 1+ users with 3 merit deleted.)". The first and third numbers are accurate, but the second number is imprecise; the second number will actually be "distinct users whose posts were selfmod-deleted and whose deleted posts are not very old and therefore still happen to be in the database." I could add more logging so that an accurate count could still be determined, but I don't think that it's very important to give the absolute correct number here, especially since any recent selfmod activity will still increase the count.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
September 05, 2021, 04:42:15 AM
Two of the now-deleted posts were scrapped in 2021, according to your site. If they were deleted post-beginning-of-2021, the number of posts deleted number is inaccurate.
User fixedfloat was Last Active February 25, 2020, so they couldn't have deleted it. The 2 posts (in Russian) were deleted by Mods (I reported one of them):
Quote from: modlog
Delete reply: Re: FixedFloat — fully automatic cryptocurrency exchange with Lightning Network⚡️ in topic #5119443 by member #3376021
Delete reply: Alarm! Ocтopoжнo! Oбмeнник fixedfloat.com мoшeнники, cyммa п in topic #5119443 by member #3376021
copper member
Amazon Prime Member #7
September 05, 2021, 04:25:52 AM
Unless posts were deleted prior to loyceV scraping them, the number of posts deleted count is likely off as well.
Theymos enhanced selfmod 6 months before I started archiving. Based on the archive from last year, I think the post count is correct.
Two of the now-deleted posts were scrapped in 2021, according to your site. If they were deleted post-beginning-of-2021, the number of posts deleted number is inaccurate.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
September 05, 2021, 04:07:20 AM
What could be the cause of this?
Bug?
It's a bug. Maybe add [Bug?] to the title to get theymos' attention, or post in Minor selfmod enhancement.

I found an archive: November 12, 2020:
Just a thought but possibly moderator deletions?
Those aren't counted in self-moderated topics.

There were at least one post deleted belonging to LoyceV
I deleted that post myself (for this reason), so it also isn't counted.

Unless posts were deleted prior to loyceV scraping them, the number of posts deleted count is likely off as well.
Theymos enhanced selfmod 6 months before I started archiving. Based on the archive from last year, I think the post count is correct.
copper member
Amazon Prime Member #7
September 05, 2021, 03:12:43 AM
It is probably some sort of the forum script's bug. If you google it, you'll see it has never happened to anyone else.
I don't believe the disclosure of the number of posts deleted by x forum members in self-moderated threads is a standard SMF feature. So if you were to use SMF "out of the box" a user with a self-moderated thread would not have this information presented.

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
September 05, 2021, 02:49:33 AM
It is probably some sort of the forum script's bug. If you google it, you'll see it has never happened to anyone else.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5178
September 04, 2021, 08:26:44 PM
The same issue exists on many other topics.
Below are a few examples.

Maybe one of the users got nuked and that messed up the count.
I don't think that's what causes the issue.
Look at this topic.

It says 1 post has been deleted and according to Loyce.club, the deleted post had been made by P00P135 who hasn't been nuked.
copper member
Amazon Prime Member #7
September 04, 2021, 08:25:45 PM
There were at least one post deleted belonging to LoyceV, and at least two posts by farcateshot, and one post by Cexmo. I checked all the other posts made by people belonging to everyone except the OP, and they all still exist. Unless posts were deleted prior to loyceV scraping them, the number of posts deleted count is likely off as well.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 04, 2021, 08:21:07 PM
Just a thought but possibly moderator deletions? From the modlog:

Delete reply: Re: FixedFloat — fully automatic cryptocurrency exchange with Lightning Network⚡️ in topic #5119443 by member #3376021

loyce seems to have 90 posts archived vs the 87 in the thread. So there could be a bunch of things that got removed by the mods before being scraped.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 8904
https://bpip.org
September 04, 2021, 07:37:41 PM
Based on what I understand it has 9 deleted posts but in his own posts not posts by other users.

Unless if he deleted other user's posts from his own thread so it would count by 1 or more.

I just tested it and it doesn't count if I delete my own posts in my self mod thread. There must be something else going on. Maybe one of the users got nuked and that messed up the count.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
September 04, 2021, 07:06:05 PM
Based on what I understand it has 9 deleted posts but in his own posts not posts by other users.

Unless if he deleted other user's posts from his own thread so it would count by 1 or more.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1208
Heisenberg
September 04, 2021, 05:33:15 PM
I was looking at this self moderated thread and then noticed something rather peculiar. It's showing that 9 posts were deleted, but there's no indicated number of users whose posts were deleted in the thread.

What could be the cause of this?
Bug?
Jump to: