Pages:
Author

Topic: A bitcoin obsessed university lecturer. - page 2. (Read 226 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
July 27, 2023, 10:53:53 AM
The resources allocated for scientific research in some countries are considered good, so student debt is a bigger problem than Bitcoin can solve. Bitcoin may alleviate this problem for some students, but it is nothing more than an investment opportunity that may increase students' income.
Some students solve this problem by working part-time, some by learning additional skills such as programming, some by trading, and buying Bitcoin may be one of the solutions.

In some countries student debt is a political problem that is being exploited well before elections. Teaching students about the economy, the importance of saving, investing, and bitcoin may relieve these debts in addition to other roles that governments can play.
Activity: 462
Merit: 414
July 27, 2023, 10:17:38 AM
Snip
The lecturer is taking bitcoin teaching very personal and he should not teach them by force,if it is not part of their course,then there is no need for him taking it far by putting it in their modulo. I like his idea to assist his students in knowing the potential of bitcoin so that they can start their bitcoin journey early than expected, but the problem here is that it shouldn't be compulsory to make all of them partake in such class. He should first enlighten them about the basics of bitcoin and give them time to think if they will be interested in such class before he can go on with his plan. If you teach someone what he doesn't have interest on,it is a waste of time. As for prize giving, the idea is cool because it will encourage the students that are willing to learn bitcoin to put in more effort to bring out their best performance. After all in some schools,they do give prize to the best students in various classes at the end of the evey academy session.
Activity: 546
Merit: 535
July 27, 2023, 09:57:17 AM
That's not a good way to teach Bitcoin, however everyone must be interested when it's related with something valuable.

I believe they still not understand Bitcoin even though they've answered many answers to get the prize, they're just memorizing and not practicing what they're doing. Sooner or later they will forget about Bitcoin, similar like most of students forget with the subjects they've learn for many many years.
Activity: 1652
Merit: 298
July 27, 2023, 09:15:24 AM
I think it's not the worst of ideas, but for people that are new to Bitcoin, why introduce it to them in this way?
It feels forced. Besides that is not going to stop the students from getting jobs that will eat up the times that they should use to study. I believe people should be taught about Bitcoin. They should have the eagerness to want to know about Bitcoin, not through incentives and rewards. So what happens when the incentives are not there?  Bitcoin shouldn't be forced down on people. If people don't want to use Bitcoin then they shouldn't, we all have our opinions.
Activity: 812
Merit: 560
July 27, 2023, 08:56:11 AM
I read an article about an opinion of a university lecturer who believed bitcoin can be used to propagate critical thinking and study culture in students, spending the needed time on their academic work and assignments engagement. His argument is that due to how financially demanding gaining a university degree is and students had to struggle with part-time paid jobs and study which greatly affects their academical development at the end as university graduates.

Is it that his aim is to teach bitcoin to the students by inculcating the stury into the course modules or he's taking his personal interest to see the students understand how a decentralized financial system works and enlightens them on financial opportunities in a decentralized digital financial economy.

He therefore proposed an alternative approach that can promote students engagements on class modules through provision of cash prize for the best works by embedding a bitcoin wallet seed phrase within module material and for students to have a chance of opening the wallet, they would have to attend specific sessions and taking critical reviews on their materials.

Is bitcoin part of their course modules he teaches or how will the students realized there's seed phrase embedded on their course modules, is this his own personal approach to engage his own students under his supervision or another thing entirely.
Activity: 868
Merit: 456
July 27, 2023, 08:32:05 AM
I read an article about an opinion of a university lecturer who believed bitcoin can be used to propagate critical thinking and study culture in students,

I honestly don't like the coercion mechanism. Also, I don't know where bitcoin has anything to do with critical thinking and learning culture. For those who don't like bitcoin, the more they are forced to know bitcoin, the more they hate it. In addition, even someone who is new to bitcoin will not like bitcoin right away, someone who likes bitcoin usually understands how the financial system works, how the hegemony of the dollar is, and how dollars are freely printed without reserves of gold, etc. So to love bitcoin we need to understand the economic and financial system first

I also disagree with the gifting method. In my opinion, the task of students is to study, they must continue to study even though there are no prizes given. Giving gifts will make them pragmatic and willing to learn when there are prizes, if there are no prizes then they will be lazy

In addition, if bitcoin is considered profitable by trading activity, then it becomes a new problem. Bitcoin has a very volatile price, for a beginner it will be very risky to carry out trading activities. If one expects them to invest long term in bitcoins, I don't think students have a source of income to buy bitcoins and hold them for a long time.
Activity: 434
Merit: 141
July 27, 2023, 07:58:00 AM
I read an article about an opinion of a university lecturer who believed bitcoin can be used to propagate critical thinking and study culture in students, spending the needed time on their academic work and assignments engagement.
Changing yourself and having better crticial thinking with Bitcoin, it is an amplification from him to impress his students?

I disagree about these critical points in his lecture. His students must understand Bitcoin basics, explore to use it and should not be taught about Bitcoin as a digital from cryptography that can do everything.

It is a lie and not true and his students should not be taught like this because they will teach others around them like brothers, sisters, parents, relatives, friends, neighbors.
Activity: 742
Merit: 529
July 27, 2023, 05:04:13 AM
I read an article about an opinion of a university lecturer who believed bitcoin can be used to propagate critical thinking and study culture in students, spending the needed time on their academic work and assignments engagement. His argument is that due to how financially demanding gaining a university degree is and students had to struggle with part-time paid jobs and study which greatly affects their academical development at the end as university graduates.
University education is expensive. Even within the U.K., tales of students leaving with £90,000 (about $115,000) of debt are not uncommon, which raises the question of the value that can be realized by a university degree when offset by this considerable cost.
To help manage the scale of this expenditure, it is now common for students to have part-, if not full-time, jobs, with recent figures showing this is the case for the majority of students in the U.K. The same article also stated that the time some students spend on university work suffers as a result of the time they dedicate to paid employment.

The aim of embedding a bitcoin seed phrase into course material is meant to promote student engagement with material earlier, so they are able to formulate projects while still leaving time to complete them. The indirect orange pilling takes place as students become aware of Bitcoin, learn how they interact with the network and maybe, just maybe, begin their journey down the Bitcoin rabbit hole. If students want to win the bounty, they will have to engage with the material, keeping an eye out for seed words, with every student starting from the same point, hopefully motivating them to engage sufficiently to have the chance of winning the prize. Even those who do not win the prize will hopefully have engaged more than they would have otherwise (a positive for university education).

He therefore proposed an alternative approach that can promote students engagements on class modules through provision of cash prize for the best works by embedding a bitcoin wallet seed phrase within module material and for students to have a chance of opening the wallet, they would have to attend specific sessions and taking critical reviews on their materials.

Just like bounty hunt, the aim is for those students who won the bounty and those who do not win would have engaged so much in their study than they ordinarily would have done.

Two perspectives to grab is that for a bitcoiner it's another method to stage a bitcoin mass awareness and adoption within the university community which could create a bitcoin  business investment interest in students afterwards particularly final year graduating students that gets enthusiastic and passionate about bitcoin.
While the second perspective is that,  to an educationist the derivational aim is to get students more engaging and interested in studying and talking about the module.
Source:Bitcoin magazine

If that is so, then I have a few questions to ask that I'll want us to discuss; what is your own thought on this and this idea if initiated what is the possibility that it can meet both ends of it's aim?  what if the students or a majority get disinterested about the whole idea and method?
Pages:
Jump to: