Pages:
Author

Topic: A guide for mining efficiently on P2Pool, includes FUD repellent and FAQ - page 3. (Read 174849 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Hey everyone I need some help. Is there any way I can easily obtain peer local hash rates over the past 24 hours in simple text format? All I am looking for in a text file is line by line "user, hash rate, dead hash rate" so I can setup a script export it as a csv regularly. Thanks.

The web-static graphs display this information but just aren't in that format I need being an entire webpage mainly in javascript.

I keep repeating myself...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/1500-th-p2pool-decentralized-dos-resistant-hop-proof-pool-18313
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
Hey everyone I need some help. Is there any way I can easily obtain peer local hash rates over the past 24 hours in simple text format? All I am looking for in a text file is line by line "user, hash rate, dead hash rate" so I can setup a script export it as a csv regularly. Thanks.

The web-static graphs display this information but just aren't in that format I need being an entire webpage mainly in javascript.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
As you state on your p2pool server that your hardware only costs you $15/month, my first guess is that it is probably lacks power (not enough CPU/RAM/IO capacity/...) to reach the 0.2-0.3s you can easily get on a recent 3+GHz multi-core CPU with default settings for p2pool and bitcoind.

I have access to lots of CPU for brief computationally intensive tasks (4 cores, 3+ gHz), but I have maximums on system load. The server has a system load of 0.05. P2Pool never seems to get above 10% CPU. Disk is generally idle, and disks are SSDs, nothing appears to be swapping.

I will take my other off-topic questions to the main thread. Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
3: My GetBlockTemplate latency is never under 1 sec, even with just P2Pool and Bitcoind running. Why?

It takes that long to process the mempool to construct a block on the hardware you are using.

This may or may not be a problem, you have to see what your efficiency works out to be. If it is a problem you need to get faster hardware (I/O and/or CPU) or reduce your block size.
Regarding http://bitcoin.advmapper.com:9332/static/

1: How can I tell if people are using my P2Pool node?
2: If I don't mine, is there any reason to host a P2Pool node?
3: My GetBlockTemplate latency is never under 1 sec, even with just P2Pool and Bitcoind running. Why?
4: How do people find a P2Pool node to use, and what kinds of things helps them make the decision about which is best for them?

Most of these questions aren't related to this subject, please ask them on the main P2Pool thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/1500-th-p2pool-decentralized-dos-resistant-hop-proof-pool-18313

For you GetBlockTemplate latency question, please read the original post in this thread. What matters is the efficiency when miners are using your node. You don't have any miner yet on your node so efficiency will be unknown (and later unreliable) unless you mine a good amount of share (100 for a ~1% precision on the efficiency reported).

As you state on your p2pool server that your hardware only costs you $15/month, my first guess is that it is probably lacks power (not enough CPU/RAM/IO capacity/...) to reach the 0.2-0.3s you can easily get on a recent 3+GHz multi-core CPU with default settings for p2pool and bitcoind.
Activity: 4
Regarding http://bitcoin.advmapper.com:9332/static/

1: How can I tell if people are using my P2Pool node?
2: If I don't mine, is there any reason to host a P2Pool node?
4: How do people find a P2Pool node to use, and what kinds of things helps them make the decision about which is best for them?
Activity: 22
Thank you,

I will post it there!
Hi guys,

A new miner here. I am currently mining on a p2pool. I have two gaming computers mining to one address. When I check the p2pool hashrate adding the second computer doesn't do anything to my hashrate.

Am I doing something wrong? Are other people finding this as well?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Second computer is at a different house, if that matters

That's more a question for the main P2Pool thread (and yes something is wrong):
Activity: 22
Hi guys,

A new miner here. I am currently mining on a p2pool. I have two gaming computers mining to one address. When I check the p2pool hashrate adding the second computer doesn't do anything to my hashrate.

Am I doing something wrong? Are other people finding this as well?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Second computer is at a different house, if that matters
Thanks a lot for this guide thread! It has been written so clear and even such newbie as I am could understand it  Wink

Glad to read it was understandable for new users, that was one of my main goals.
Activity: 53
Thanks a lot for this guide thread! It has been written so clear and even such newbie as I am could understand it  Wink
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Just Fun!
Just out of curiosity does anyone use the settings the OP posts about in this thread?

I he or she makes some recommendations that I would like know if people are using or if there is some other sweet spot such as maxconnections= in bitcoin.conf?

Thanks,

those settings are just basics. to find right settings for your node you just have to test a lot. i needed 3weeks to find optimal settings for my node and i am still not really ready. small changes i still have to make.

there are just to many factors which can influence efficiency of your node, so everybody has to test it out.

with mxconnections i was playing around pretty long too, but i did not really see big advantages by changing it as it is described here. many other things the same.
legendary
Just out of curiosity does anyone use the settings the OP posts about in this thread?

I he or she makes some recommendations that I would like know if people are using or if there is some other sweet spot such as maxconnections= in bitcoin.conf?

Unless you have a very fast internet connection (both up and down) without any hard or soft caps I recommend you just block incoming bitcoind connections at your firewall (i.e. don't forward port 8333) and rely on outgoing connections (the default 8 is fine -- no need to increase this). That will avoid a lot of your bandwidth being used up by people wanting to download the blockchain.

That alone should substantially increase the number of people who are able to successfully run a p2pool node.

Activity: 616

Thanks,
Activity: 55
Now I got pros and cons of using P2Pool mining ! Thanks a lot for this guide-book!  Smiley
legendary
Transactions can take less than a KB...

I think I misinterpreted this statement about rounding up from https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees as applying to mintxfee. It probably doesn't (but I will look at the code soon).

"the reference implementation will round up the transaction size to the next thousand bytes and add a fee of 0.1 mBTC (0.0001 BTC) per thousand bytes"

Why would you want to use such values (especially mintxfee=0.01)? And ask for directions in the thread where it's explained why you are not advised to (you are hurting your income and everyone else's)?

I chose those values for testing purposes to simplify the collection of transactions (generally down to one or two) since I was seeing similarly confusing behavior with more reasonable settings.
Activity: 616
I have blockprioritysize=0 and mintxfee=0.01 yet I'm still getting transactions with smaller fees. Does anyone know why before I start digging into the source code?

2014-02-28 14:48:26.238012 New work for worker! Difficulty: 156.935343 Share difficulty: 504240.247210 Total block value: 25.016500 BTC including 2 transactions

EDIT: Just a guess but maybe "per KB" is actually applied "per 1/2 KB"?

Why would you want to use such values (especially mintxfee=0.01)? And ask for directions in the thread where it's explained why you are not advised to (you are hurting your income and everyone else's)?

So even if mintxfee=0.00001? I am not sure why smooth put 0.01 when it doesn't clearly say that in the OP's post.

I am too not sure if the OP's post really helps everyone or only help people like him who don't use the settings possibly to gain more coins?

I have blockprioritysize=0 and mintxfee=0.01 yet I'm still getting transactions with smaller fees. Does anyone know why before I start digging into the source code?

2014-02-28 14:48:26.238012 New work for worker! Difficulty: 156.935343 Share difficulty: 504240.247210 Total block value: 25.016500 BTC including 2 transactions

legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
The subtly hidden readme.  ;-)  Usually they just say "see docs".  lol.

edit:  that did it.  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll check out your mod for it next.  ;-)

The p2pool-vtc repo already has my patch applied. Smiley

Good to know.  It seems to be working perfectly.  I might have to try it on the btc side.
Thanks.
legendary

Pages:
Jump to: