Pages:
Author

Topic: A huge solar blast occured 2 days ago - page 2. (Read 2495 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
February 23, 2015, 09:03:15 PM
And here I was hoping we would get something to thaw the winter cold. But we weren't that lucky.

Smiley
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
February 23, 2015, 08:59:54 PM
Solar blast, as in a solar flare?

Well, I hope if you have a dedicated server up in the mountains somewhere that you're using ECC RAM!         JUST IN CASE!
Activity: 196
Merit: 104
February 23, 2015, 07:07:42 PM
This thread has nothing to do with bitcoin, which contrary to popular belief, doesn't even need the internet or computers or electricity to survive.

How can the Bitcoin system realistically survive without electricity?
How can the fiat system survive without electricity? It would be a chaos since all markets operate under electricity these days, the stocks would collapse.

Well the banks would collapse, but they will obviously be giving you fiat incase something like this happens.
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
February 23, 2015, 07:05:08 PM

I would really appreciate it if you didn't alter my sexuality.
Okay, I'll try. It won't be easy though, considering how attractive I am.
Activity: 672
Merit: 503
February 23, 2015, 07:04:04 PM
This thread has nothing to do with bitcoin, which contrary to popular belief, doesn't even need the internet or computers or electricity to survive.

How can the fiat system survive without electricity? It would be a chaos since all markets operate under electricity these days, the stocks would collapse.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
February 23, 2015, 05:02:24 PM

It won't. Thats why we need to introduce offchain transactions , which can exist without elecctricity. I think thats what Gates is working on.

How can offchain transactions realistically survive without electricity?
February 23, 2015, 05:01:05 PM

I would really appreciate it if you didn't alter my quotes.
February 23, 2015, 04:50:00 PM
also it would probably be possible to use a hard fork to move existing BTC to a new blockchain with difficulty 1. 
Good point! Or better yet, a new blockchain with difficulty 0.001!
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
February 23, 2015, 04:47:51 PM
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
February 23, 2015, 04:32:32 PM
This is not realistic feasible
It's not realistic feasible today under present conditions because you'd be competing with the network of computers. But if the difficulty were to drop down to the same level it was at one hour after the genesis block was mined, it would become possible to mine this way. Remember, not so long ago "computer" was a job title!

Well not exactly.  First difficult wouldn't adjust downward until 2,016 blocks are completed and then it only adjusts downward by a factor of 4.  So just to get back to difficulty 1 would require more than 32,000 blocks to be completed.  The first would be at the current difficulty and difficulty would only decline slowly.  Mining even the genesis block by hand is simply not possible.    Difficulty one requires an average of 4 billion hashes.  Completing even a single sha256d hash by hand is measured in hours (more realistically a day or more).

Still the good news is that only half of the earth is facing the sun at any given time so destruction of the entire planet's computing resources would multiple solar storms on a massive scale.  The other thing to consider is that under any civilization ending solar storm you will be to busy fighting and killing for clean water and sufficient food to worry about the bitcoin network halting.

So are you saying we need to stash old hardware away in a bunker just in case? Otherwise it will take ages to get back to difficulty 1  Cheesy

Yep, realistically if this happens, traditional banking will stop working waaay before the internet stops working so no worries

also it would probably be possible to use a hard fork to move existing BTC to a new blockchain with difficulty 1.  Wink
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
February 23, 2015, 04:21:45 PM
It's not realistic feasible today under present conditions because you'd be competing with the network of computers. But if the difficulty were to drop down to the same level it was at one hour after the genesis block was mined, it would become possible to mine this way. Remember, not so long ago "computer" was a job title!

Well not exactly.  First difficult wouldn't adjust downward until 2,016 blocks are completed and then it only adjusts downward by a factor of 4.  So just to get back to difficulty 1 would require more than 32,000 blocks to be completed.  The first would be at the current difficulty and difficulty would only decline slowly.  Mining even the genesis block by hand is simply not possible.    Difficulty one requires an average of 4 billion hashes.  Completing even a single sha256d hash by hand is measured in hours (more realistically a day or more).

Still the good news is that only half of the earth is facing the sun at any given time so destruction of the entire planet's computing resources would multiple solar storms on a massive scale.  The other thing to consider is that under any civilization ending solar storm you will be to busy fighting and killing for clean water and sufficient food to worry about the bitcoin network halting.
February 23, 2015, 04:12:34 PM
It's not feasible today under present conditions because you'd be competing with the network of computers. But if the hashing difficulty were to drop down to the same level it was at one hour after the genesis block was mined, it would become possible to mine this way. Remember, not so long ago "computer" was a job title!

My point stands, it is absolutely possible to mine bitcoin with pencil and paper. However, under present conditions it is extremely improbable that you would ever solve a single block within your lifetime.

In any case, Bitcoin would be far less adversely affected than you in this hypothetical scenario.
February 23, 2015, 04:08:43 PM
Good old pencil and paper + carrier pigeons.

This is not realistic: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mining-bitcoin-with-a-paper-and-pencil-801196

Now, let me turn that question around: How can you survive without electricity? If the world loses electricity, you wouldn't be worried about bitcoin, you'd be worried about survival.

Of course not, electricity is a fundamental part of my life. But you were the one that suggested that electricity is not needed for Bitcoin to work.
February 23, 2015, 04:01:01 PM
Good old pencil and paper + carrier pigeons. It's just a puzzle. Minimal electricity means minimal computer mining, which means the difficulty would decrease dramatically on next update. Besides, even if some catastrophic solar event were to take down all the satellites and knock out some sections of the grid, it wouldn't adversely affect hydroelectric, geothermal, solar, or wind power. Absolute worst case is the network would go dormant.

Now, let me turn that question around: How can you survive without electricity? If the world loses electricity, you wouldn't be worried about bitcoin, you'd be worried about survival.

February 23, 2015, 03:50:36 PM

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
February 23, 2015, 03:49:39 PM
I look at like this, We survived this long, why not another 1000 years or so. It does not occupy my thoughts whatsoever.
After all, what can we do to prevent it?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
February 23, 2015, 03:16:25 PM
In my understanding, as long as internet is up, bitcoin will survive. If internet gets destructed, that would be more catastrophic than bitcoin's destruction.

Which isn't entirely possible (or at least very unlikely). If the internet gets destroyed, something much worse is in for us.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1209
The revolution will be digital
February 23, 2015, 03:07:40 PM
In my understanding, as long as internet is up, bitcoin will survive. If internet gets destructed, that would be more catastrophic than bitcoin's destruction.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
February 23, 2015, 03:03:47 PM

Would love you to explain this one further please. so electric goes tomorrow globally how do miners continue to process transactions?

The internet goes with the electricity how do we go online to make a transaction?

Computers not working because no power nor internet how does it work?

LOL!

If that scenario happened it is game over for a large percentage of the world the last thing people would try to 'imagine' in to existence is a btc transaction 
February 23, 2015, 02:52:16 PM
What  is your opinion about such an event hitting the earth?
Not relevant to my interests.

Is the bitcoin network going to survive?
Yes.

What about the human infrastructure?
It will be fine. The sun has an eleven year cycle of activity which we are now at the peak of, it has never been a problem before so there's little reason to worry now.

Pages:
Jump to: