Pages:
Author

Topic: A large sum of money, where would you keep it? - page 2. (Read 4446 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Dude, you have 1000 bitcoins, and all you can do is sit around and worry about how to store it? Go party, be happy, share the wealth with your loved ones. Some people don't even have money to buy food for the day. It's time to relax and be happy with what you have. You can travel the world. You can buy real estate and rent out for monthly income. You could buy a bar, hotel, restaurant somewhere. My suggestion is to travel, go to 3rd world countries and see how THEY live. Get offline and back in the real world and get some perspective. Your worries are over dude.

+100000000

This is well said. But before you do this, let me be one of your loved ones. <3
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Dude, you have 1000 bitcoins, and all you can do is sit around and worry about how to store it? Go party, be happy, share the wealth with your loved ones. Some people don't even have money to buy food for the day. It's time to relax and be happy with what you have. You can travel the world. You can buy real estate and rent out for monthly income. You could buy a bar, hotel, restaurant somewhere. My suggestion is to travel, go to 3rd world countries and see how THEY live. Get offline and back in the real world and get some perspective. Your worries are over dude.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
If you're going to keep a percentage of it in currency, consider diversifying it in to different major currencies. Like EUR, JPY, CHF ect. I probably wouldn't put it all in USD unless I had a strong reason to believe USD specifically was headed up.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Or give 1 to me?
Activity: 912
Merit: 661
Do due diligence
I would keep the lowest amount that I need to be liquid in USD (never as store of value).
Real Estate/rentals (but I'm biased)
A foundation for foster children (also biased)
Precious metals, art and classic vehicles.  

*Can't believe I forgot to add bitcoin (in my possession).
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
A leveraged bet can pay off big, so I suggest you sharpen up your trading skills and start chasing returns in a sensible and risk-averse manner.

Consider the TVIX, which today closed at 5.01 near incredible record lows:
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=TVIX&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p26873058609

You will regret not taking a sensible position in TVIX or other VIX funds and VIX notes.

To protect your money, simply invest in protection (VIX). It's almost as volatile as bitcoin, so at these prices you are likely to get a healthy return.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
Cryptocurrencies is future
If you ask me I would do it this way:

TOTAL 1000 BTC

350 BTC -> 150000 USD into a Bank (Choose the most trusted one in your country).
550 BTC -> Paper wallets with multiple backups, BIP32, multisig, etc.
100 BTC -> Investments, mining, altcoins (not recommended), everyday expenses, online wallets, etc.

I agree this ,aha...
Activity: 14
If your story is true, invest in real estate or made your own business. If you need partner in Russia you can contact me. Roll Eyes
Activity: 728
Crypto-ideologist

How would you try to keep you money in the digital realm safe and stable for the long term?

what about NoFiatCoin ? it's a digital currency backed by precious metals and can be redeemed for the same.

http://www.nofiatcoin.com/

I haven't read deeply all the thread but i guess that you could evaluate it for your purpose.
(not for a large amount of your asset, of course)
Activity: 42
Keep the bitcoin you have and quit playing about trying to reduce it.
They are all frauds or will don't succeed - fiat, swell, ethereum, quora, altcoins.
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
Is there anywhere I can anonymously bounce/trade between precious metals and Bitcoin like Goldmoney etc?

You can use Counterparty. assets are available which represent physical gold via the issuer 'Bitcoin tangible trust'. You can trade them at anytime in a decentralised manner on top of bitcoins block chain and redeem for the precious metals they are backed by, thus escaping bitcoins volatility.
Activity: 116
I keep my USD on a safe in my house. If I earn much more I'll store them in a bank, other methods are excluded
Activity: 27
It depends on how long you want to save them. I recommend to take exchange it to USD and take them to the bank and to place them as deposit. I hardly believe that USD will disappear in next ten years.  Cool
Activity: 112
WW3
A large sum of money, where would you keep it?
If/when I ever get a chance:
I would divide it into at least 100 parts and give away almost 50% (seriously, giving money away is fun & good for your Karma)
The rest is a burden to keep safe, but at least I gave away almost half.  Smiley

That's very generous sir, i wish there were more people like you!
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
A large sum of money, where would you keep it?
If/when I ever get a chance:
I would divide it into at least 100 parts and give away almost 50% (seriously, giving money away is fun & good for your Karma)
The rest is a burden to keep safe, but at least I gave away almost half.  Smiley
Activity: 546
On ICBIT exchange, you can "hold US dollars" and earn interest, but it is all based in bitcoin; basically you are insuring your bitcoins' dollar value and getting paid for it. I think that this is the answer to your question.

Also, if you wanted to hold EUR, CAD, JPY, CHF, GBP, or certain equities, then you can use ICBIT in combination with 1broker.com to be fully diversified into fiat but still operating only in bitcoin. Gold and silver are also on 1broker.

Basically, you can hide all kinds of fiat wealth in a bitcoin-denominated account.
Pages:
Jump to: