Pages:
Author

Topic: A microscopic view of Casacius physical bitcoins - page 2. (Read 5517 times)

donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
I recently purchases this microscope from amazon, and started looking at everything I can get my hands on at 40-150x. 

I wonder how long until someone tries an xray microscope (or whatever they are called) to see the private key underneath.

I'm a radiology resident and back when BitBills came out, I took a low kV radiograph of it to see if I could bring out any detail...I was hoping the ink was made from the oxide of some metal...no luck. The BitBill was glorified laminated paper, which would be much more susceptible to xray hacking than a metal coin. I strongly doubt anyone will find success with a Casascius coin.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
awesome shot, etotheipi, thanks for sharing.

"I always wanted to know how this bitcoin thing works in detail" Wink
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Right, maybe if MNW wins his 10K BTC bet...
legendary
Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012
howdy
Cool, now someone needs to buy an electron microscope and do this  Cool
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
I recently purchases this microscope from amazon, and started looking at everything I can get my hands on at 40-150x.

I wonder how long until someone tries an xray microscope (or whatever they are called) to see the private key underneath.

Looking forward to it.

You mean they can't?  Smiley

nice pics @etotheipi
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

Looking forward to it.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
If only I could have not had the first one come out "CASACIUS" (misspelled) in the largest fine print (partly visible in one of the photos above - first photo, 11 o'clock position).

We actually did two designs and I picked through design number 1 with a fine tooth comb for detail, then went with design number 2 without having done the same. I noticed it instantly once I took some light to the then-newly finished holograms.  Series 2 fixes that.
Activity: 364
wow i really like the microscopic details
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
That looks like a dot-matrix process. I was wondering about that.
Activity: 434
100%
Really does look awesome.

I might actually order one after all.

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
I recently purchases this microscope from amazon, and started looking at everything I can get my hands on at 40-150x.  One such thing was the hologram on the back of a casascius physical Bitcoin.

I believe this is actually only 10x and 40x, but 40x was enough to see what I didn't know was even there:  four rings of "CASASCIUS" just inside where it says "ORIGINAL" on the coin.  Looking at it by eye, I can barely identify the bigger outer ring, and definitely can't identify the smaller three inner rings.  This is impressive:  casascius really put a lot of quality into these holographic films!

Pages:
Jump to: