Pages:
Author

Topic: A small merit-sending UI tweak - page 3. (Read 621 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
November 04, 2023, 02:32:46 AM
I prefer the approach A, adding the number one instead of leaving the field empty, in addition to a group of buttons next to send that contain 2, 4, 5, 7, 10. if you click on send, you will send one Merit, if you click on the buttons next to it, you will send 2, 4, 5,7,10, and if you want to send more, you must change the number from 1.

img source https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.52249695
Activity: 121
Merit: 44
November 04, 2023, 01:52:57 AM
In my opinion, approach A is the most appropriate with some improvements, as it is possible, for example, to add The input placeholder attribute (placeholder="Num 1-99") instead of value="0"

To become as follows:
Code:

This will solve the problem by giving new users hint to help them enter a correct number between 1-99.
Activity: 308
Merit: 340
Jolly? I think I've heard that name before. hmm
November 03, 2023, 10:17:37 PM
I would have included PHP diffs with this post, but I don't have access to the relevant code, so all I can do this time around is make suggestions like a noob. Cheesy

I don't know anything about what you're talking about, because the code language is too complicated for me to imagine. So of everything you talk about, I like the word above the most. LOL

Btw, I like option C, hopefully it can be implemented soon, but if not, it's okay because I only have a little merit to send, and often there is nothing to send
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
November 03, 2023, 09:13:30 PM
I have sent 10 and 20 credits maybe three times. I would love to see this fix.
Activity: 510
Merit: 3981
November 03, 2023, 07:15:22 PM
There's a small UI issue with the merit-sending page that makes it easier than it should be to accidentally send more merit than you intended (I'm sure I've run into a handful of anecdotes about this, but I can't find them now).

Basically, the "Merit points" field is pre-populated with a 0, like this:

People are used to having to get rid of that 0 before entering an amount (or, they have to make sure that the amount they enter is after that 0). Sometimes, people are careless or tired, and accidentally enter something on the wrong side of that 0 (maybe believing that they've already deleted or selected it after mis-hitting a key, or something), and they end up sending more merit than they meant to (that is, sending 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 merits by mistake is an easier thing to do than it should be).

For comparison with what follows, the current HTML for that input looks like this: .

Here are some ways that I think this could be improved:

Approach A

This approach would leave the field initially empty so that there's no 0 there to trip anyone up.

That would look like this:

The HTML would change to: (that is, value="0" would be removed).

Approach B

This approach would add a bit of JavaScript that "selects" the value whenever it's clicked, that way, whatever you type in will replace whatever was already there.

That would look like this (after clicking):

The HTML would change to: (that is, onclick="this.select();" would be added).

Approach C

This approach would leave the 0 there, but make it "placeholder" text instead of actual text, that way, it's just there as a cue, but the field is actually empty (the 0 will disappear as soon as you type something in).

That would look like this:

The HTML would change to: (that is, value="0" would change to placeholder="0").

Closing thoughts

One disadvantage of approach A is that it leaves the user wondering what they're meant to type in (that's obviously not an issue for people that have sent merit before, but I could see brand new users getting confused without any cues to help them).

One disadvantage of approach B is that it requires JavaScript to function, and there's a (pretty small in this case, IMHO) chance that cross-browser weirdness will make it unreliable. One advantage of approach B is that it will catch a wider range of mistakes (sometimes people initially decide to send 1 merit, and then change that to a 2, but actually end up sending 12 or 21, by mistake. If the entire value gets selected each time you click the input, then those kinds of mistakes would be much harder to make).

Approach C won't catch as many mistakes as approach B, but it's simple, won't leave new users confused, and doesn't need JavaScript to work.

I would have included PHP diffs with this post, but I don't have access to the relevant code, so all I can do this time around is make suggestions like a noob. Cheesy

(I'm taking a break from the forum, but I'll be back on the 27th; try not to miss me too much.) Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: