Pages:
Author

Topic: A sprinkle of realism ... - page 2. (Read 628 times)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510
September 19, 2017, 10:45:22 PM
... or am I being unreasonably pessimistic?

I only joined this forum a week or so ago and I'm loving it, all the different topics, all the different opinions and views.  I think I'm in danger of getting the 'investing in crypto' bug and I'm gradually gearing up to dipping my toe, probably in BTC and ETH.

However, hold on a sec.  This forum, understandably, is full of people that buy into the concept of cryptocurrency, have invested various sums, trade in the stuff and so on.  My point?  Everyone on here wants to see the value of cryptocurrency rise ... and rise ... and rise.

None of us have a crystal ball, if we did we'd be multi billionaires, however as much as I like the projected idea of BTC being worth in 5-10 years, is this sort of projection valid?  Are we perhaps seeing an expected slowing down and perhaps even slight plateauing of BTC and an end to significant increases week by week?

As I say everyone on here quite rightly want to see the likes of BTC increase exponentially over the coming years, however we're all excited by the whole crypto thing.  Are we therefore at risk of looking at the whole thing through rose tinted glasses, basing our hopes on the increases of the last few years that, surely, can't continue?

Am I right ... or wrong?

The price of Bitcoin is and has always been volatile. It had a huge increase and is now experiencing a correction. Therefore, this is actually a good buying opportunity for someone that doesn't have any Bitcoins yet and wants to get in on it.

You could wait for another drop to $3000 or lower, but you might miss this chance if you wait too long. At some point, Bitcoin will creep back up to $5000 and you will have missed a chance to jump in. I would buy now, but I'm already fully invested and can't afford to put any more money into investments.
Activity: 546
Merit: 250
September 19, 2017, 10:32:47 PM
Bitcoin's value and growth potential could be overall factors of the size of its userbase.

Crypto hasn't yet reached a saturation point where it can be considered fully mainstream. That's where the "buy a coffee with bitcoin" and past push for more mainstream crypto comes from. The idea that there could still be a massive price hike in the value of bitcoin if it becomes more widely adopted. The engineering that went with that campaign in terms of bigger blocks may have been flawed in ways but the underlying financial analysis may have been sound.

Crypto's value could be like the difference between a PC game with a userbase of 500 players and a PC game with a userbase of 50 million players. Being more mainstream could translate to greater revenue, growth and value. If that's true in crypto's case the price could still have plenty of growth potential.

Good point! Further more bitcoin is still in the process of being accepted as norm from the government. From the government side, bitcoin is virtual and they really can't have a full control of it that's why it is in the process of being in the mainstream. Users of bitcoin varies from different kind of social level thus it safe to say that all of the blocks of bitcoin are already spreading various populated cities in the world. Still a long way to go for local from indigenous areas to know how really bitcoin works.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
September 19, 2017, 07:18:18 PM
Bitcoin's value and growth potential could be overall factors of the size of its userbase.

Crypto hasn't yet reached a saturation point where it can be considered fully mainstream. That's where the "buy a coffee with bitcoin" and past push for more mainstream crypto comes from. The idea that there could still be a massive price hike in the value of bitcoin if it becomes more widely adopted. The engineering that went with that campaign in terms of bigger blocks may have been flawed in ways but the underlying financial analysis may have been sound.

Crypto's value could be like the difference between a PC game with a userbase of 500 players and a PC game with a userbase of 50 million players. Being more mainstream could translate to greater revenue, growth and value. If that's true in crypto's case the price could still have plenty of growth potential.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
September 19, 2017, 06:17:46 PM
... or am I being unreasonably pessimistic?

I only joined this forum a week or so ago and I'm loving it, all the different topics, all the different opinions and views.  I think I'm in danger of getting the 'investing in crypto' bug and I'm gradually gearing up to dipping my toe, probably in BTC and ETH.

However, hold on a sec.  This forum, understandably, is full of people that buy into the concept of cryptocurrency, have invested various sums, trade in the stuff and so on.  My point?  Everyone on here wants to see the value of cryptocurrency rise ... and rise ... and rise.

None of us have a crystal ball, if we did we'd be multi billionaires, however as much as I like the projected idea of BTC being worth in 5-10 years, is this sort of projection valid?  Are we perhaps seeing an expected slowing down and perhaps even slight plateauing of BTC and an end to significant increases week by week?

As I say everyone on here quite rightly want to see the likes of BTC increase exponentially over the coming years, however we're all excited by the whole crypto thing.  Are we therefore at risk of looking at the whole thing through rose tinted glasses, basing our hopes on the increases of the last few years that, surely, can't continue?

Am I right ... or wrong?
Pages:
Jump to: