Pages:
Author

Topic: A study on Somalia - page 2. (Read 5399 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
January 15, 2011, 09:39:58 AM
Thanks for this article.  I always like to read stuff that supports my view.

Looks like the author Peter Leeson has done some books on "The Economics of (Ocean) Piracy":

"The idea of the invisible hook is that pirates, though they’re criminals, are still driven by their self-interest. So they were driven to build systems of government and social structures that allowed them to better pursue their criminal ends.... The reason that the criminality is driving these structures is because they can’t rely on the state to provide those structures for them. So pirates, more than anyone else, needed to figure out some system of law and order to make it possible for them to remain together long enough to be successful at stealing."

Reminds me of the US government...  The US government people have their own little internal rules and incentive structures allowing them to work together to achieve their criminal ends...
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
January 15, 2011, 09:30:50 AM
With most of the Somalis I know in real life, they would say the opposite.

It just depends on what type of "government" there was in the first place.

At the moment Somalia is run by a tribal system, where clans offer your protection.

In other words, if you have no clan (ie. you are a tourist) you have no safety.

And as far as the economy is concerned, there are more bullets in Somalia than grains of rice.

However I may be prematurely simply quoting my friends, I should read the article.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
January 15, 2011, 09:01:38 AM
Hi guys,

I'm personally not convinced that the Somalia situation is as horrible as the media paints it or as rosey as some libertarian YouTubers suggest but this is a very interesting read.

http://www.pdfchaser.com/Better-Off-Stateless:-Somalia-Before-and-After-Government-Collapse*.html#

This is ... amazing.   This kind of reconciliates me with human kind, although of course I guess Somalia is still in terrible situation, but to know that anarchy has actually improved the economics and even security there, is just a great news.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
January 15, 2011, 08:53:20 AM
Hi guys,

I'm personally not convinced that the Somalia situation is as horrible as the media paints it or as rosey as some libertarian YouTubers suggest but this is a very interesting read.

http://www.pdfchaser.com/Better-Off-Stateless:-Somalia-Before-and-After-Government-Collapse*.html#
Pages:
Jump to: