Pages:
Author

Topic: A Warning Against Using Taint - page 6. (Read 16246 times)

Activity: 444
Merit: 250
I prefer evolution to revolution.
June 06, 2012, 01:45:51 AM
"A Warning Against Using Taint"

I recognized that the taint was already there, kind of like that article about anonymity.  Since I felt that bitcoin thefts decrease its value, I wanted to make thefts less profitable for the thieves, so I proposed using the taint to accomplish this.  It seems that most people who replied are afraid that bitcoin users will make too many decisions based on taint.  I don't think they would (see the replies), but too many others do, so I'll stop defending the proposal.

Is there anything else I should do?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
June 05, 2012, 09:17:18 PM
"How to undermine confidence in a currency by destroying fungibility"
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
June 05, 2012, 08:35:46 PM
"How to piss off friends and customers."
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
June 05, 2012, 07:25:57 PM
"Playing judge, jury and executioner when receiving bitcoins merely accused of being stolen some number of txs ago"
legendary
Strength in numbers
June 05, 2012, 06:47:05 PM
Let's use this thread to suggest titles for this thread.

"Confiscating bitcoins from innocent people. But what if there was a large bounty?"
Activity: 252
Inactive
June 05, 2012, 05:05:35 PM

There's no good solution for taint as the burden will be placed on the innocent.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
June 05, 2012, 04:58:11 PM
yeah more like "disempowering bitcoin users".

Want to see empowering honest users? 

The power of escrow and a diligent buyer:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-memory-foam-mattresses-valued-at-2700-usd-for-400-usd-worth-of-btc-85207
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
June 05, 2012, 04:49:16 PM
Could you change your title? Just opened this again and forgot it was about a blacklist.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
June 05, 2012, 04:29:55 AM
You introducing a system that imposes a form of taint does nothing to prevent theft but does make using Bitcoin a hassle for those who are innocent.

Therefore I do not support this and will vigorously reject any movement towards this initiative and any like it.

yet another +1

Because you don't yet understand this is a bad idea dscotese
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
June 05, 2012, 03:52:52 AM
You introducing a system that imposes a form of taint does nothing to prevent theft but does make using Bitcoin a hassle for those who are innocent.

Therefore I do not support this and will vigorously reject any movement towards this initiative and any like it.
+1

That's just not the right way to address the problem of thefts! Why not spend your time on making Bitcoin more secure and educate people how to prevent thefts instead?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
June 05, 2012, 02:55:08 AM
You could try doing a third party thing. But then everyone would have a reason to mix their money into Mt Gox every now and then.
legendary
Activity: 938
What's a GPU?
June 05, 2012, 02:06:24 AM
Sorry, but

legendary
Strength in numbers
June 05, 2012, 02:02:03 AM
A big problem with tracking 'taint' is that it quickly gets everywhere.  MtGox mixes most of the coins they receive into a few large value addresses, so once they've accepted tainted coins you're getting tainted coins pretty much every time you withdraw from them.

In other words, when you look at the previous addresses through which the coin(s) came to you, it would make sense for the blacklist to stop when it hits a MtGox address.  So getting your BC from MtGox or another another assumed-reputable - let's say "whitelisted" - address prevents the report from showing it as tainted.  It's a good argument for having a whitelist too.

The fact that coin passed through an MtGox account in the past gives MtGox some ability to earn any reward offered by victims, but I haven't found any reward offered by victims.  Has anyone?

If you found out that a chain of transactions that didn't include any MtGox (or other well-known) addresses preceded your receipt of bitcoin started with one of the addresses used in a heist and the victim of that heist was offering rewards, would you just ignore it, talk to your counterparty, or report it to get a reward?  Would the size of the reward matter?

What the hell are you talking about?

Why not just keep the whole thing and call it your reward if you are a thief?

To break it down one more time.

Person A steals and buys candy from Person B who buys sex toys from Person C who tips Stripper D who deposits the money with you (lucky girl). Now you notice that once upon a time someone reported a theft so you confiscate the girl's money and get your reward. (I bet you'll want to subscribe to the service that accepts all reports and offers fat rewards, eh!?)

Probably Stripper D, now learning about the various taint reporting sites, goes and reports the same coins to have been stolen by you. But it's not all bad maybe the coins will find their way back to you again and you can claim that reward too.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
June 05, 2012, 02:00:41 AM
1MFGnisygrRQhFPj7WGapJW7Noh7i3DE2T  Just send tainted coins here and ill send you an indulgence. If the pope can sell them so can I.
Activity: 444
I prefer evolution to revolution.
June 05, 2012, 01:52:12 AM
A big problem with tracking 'taint' is that it quickly gets everywhere.  MtGox mixes most of the coins they receive into a few large value addresses, so once they've accepted tainted coins you're getting tainted coins pretty much every time you withdraw from them.

In other words, when you look at the previous addresses through which the coin(s) came to you, it would make sense for the blacklist to stop when it hits a MtGox address.  So getting your BC from MtGox or another another assumed-reputable - let's say "whitelisted" - address prevents the report from showing it as tainted.  It's a good argument for having a whitelist too.

The fact that coin passed through an MtGox account in the past gives MtGox some ability to earn any reward offered by victims, but I haven't found any reward offered by victims.  Has anyone?

If you found out that a chain of transactions that didn't include any MtGox (or other well-known) addresses preceded your receipt of bitcoin started with one of the addresses used in a heist and the victim of that heist was offering rewards, would you just ignore it, talk to your counterparty, or report it to get a reward?  Would the size of the reward matter?
donator
Activity: 853
June 04, 2012, 10:31:16 PM
I think what bitcoin's honest users need is not a system of following taint but a system of following and ensuring reputation.  Something better then btc-otc ratings or following users on this board. 

What I would propose is a site with both proof of stake, proof of past transactions and proof of digital identity.  Basically it would be btc-otc ratings on steroids. 

We need DROs ( Dispute Resolution Organizations ) in the Bitcoin world. They would provide a form of law and order yet do it in an anarchist and decentralized manner.
legendary
Strength in numbers
June 04, 2012, 10:01:48 PM
A big problem with tracking 'taint' is that it quickly gets everywhere.  MtGox mixes most of the coins they receive into a few large value addresses, so once they've accepted tainted coins you're getting tainted coins pretty much every time you withdraw from them.

Oh dooglas, I've been meaning to tell you, your last deposit to Seals was rejected. About 6 steps back some mybitcoin coins got mixed in. So yeah.. please resend your deposit.

Since this is serious business I'm not going to assume anything. I'M TOTALLY KIDDING. WE'LL NEVER DO THAT.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
June 04, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
A big problem with tracking 'taint' is that it quickly gets everywhere.  MtGox mixes most of the coins they receive into a few large value addresses, so once they've accepted tainted coins you're getting tainted coins pretty much every time you withdraw from them.
legendary
Strength in numbers
June 04, 2012, 09:17:04 PM
Can you seriously not see the foolishness of suggesting people, once they receive coins for which there was a mere accusation of theft made many transactions ago, that they'll turn around and tell the sender: "hey these coins were once accused of being stolen and I'm now going to keep/delete/return them, so if you still want to do this deal with me, you need to send me new coins.."

Are you really this thick to suggest something like that?

If you do try that then you are not an honest user.

If you say "this item costs 3BTC from any address except 1blehkljf or 1crapjkfd or 1pointlessjkfs5lkj or 1lamejkeil3q or..." then you are nuts but not dishonest I guess.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
June 04, 2012, 09:06:49 PM
Can you seriously not see the foolishness of suggesting people, once they receive coins for which there was a mere accusation of theft made many transactions ago, that they'll turn around and tell the sender: "hey these coins were once accused of being stolen and I'm now going to keep/delete/return them, so if you still want to do this deal with me, you need to send me new coins.."

Are you really this thick to suggest something like that?
Pages:
Jump to: