Pages:
Author

Topic: Abortion and Morality - page 3. (Read 3622 times)

Activity: 312
Merit: 250
February 24, 2012, 05:03:07 PM
The OP gives an interesting dilemma.  My thinking goes like this:  I would have not minded if my mother had decided that it was best for me to not be born.  Hence, I am pro abortion choice.  (I would also not have minded if my parents used contraceptives. Same reasoning.  I am pro contraceptive choice.)

However, aborting just girls upsets the gender balance for the living.  This I would object to had I been a female and my mother used this as the reason for my abortion.  This would be detrimental to society for just selfish reasons.  I am not saying it should be illegal, but that mother should be shamed.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
February 24, 2012, 04:39:40 PM
Does this make any sense at all?

Makes just as much sense as "animal rights" laws that say torturing animals for meat consumption is ok, but torturing them for entertainment is evil.

Such laws are not really about protecting the animal or the fetus, they're mainly about protecting your Right Not To Be Offended.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
February 24, 2012, 04:26:02 PM
Who says population needs to drop? Does earth have a set capacity for our species and if so how would you even start to work that out?
Also a parasite gives nothing to its host and I’m not so sure you can say that for a future human being.

Edit: Birth permission..Do our goverments really need anymore power than they have already? Nope didnt think so.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
February 24, 2012, 03:38:40 PM
They should make people get permits by law to be allowed to have children based on the same principles as being allowed to adopt the child (as it is the same thing). Anyone putting a child on the world without the permit gets their child taken away + 10 year prison sentence. Will solve A LOT of problems.
Yes, because the government doesn't already have enough control over our lives!   Roll Eyes

As much as I abhor the fact that people kill little babies who haven't yet been born, I am still unsure whether it is my moral obligation to speak out against it or stop them.  I feel like I am being judgmental of people if I do so.

Then again, the US invaded Germany to stop them from killing people, and no one outside of Germany thought what Germany was doing was right, so maybe it IS appropriate to use force to stop mass genocides.

Huh
Merit: 1002
February 24, 2012, 03:23:08 PM
They should make people get permits by law to be allowed to have children based on the same principles as being allowed to adopt the child (as it is the same thing). Anyone putting a child on the world without the permit gets their child taken away + 10 year prison sentence. Will solve A LOT of problems.

The problem with central governance is that when you equip them with powers, there is no taking it back. I don't like the idea of abortion one bit either, but I wouldn't prefer the other evil. On the other hand, I'm an outspoken critic of abortion, but the sheer number of people around me who took that step makes it a hopeless endeavor. There is no perfect solution I guess...
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
February 24, 2012, 02:45:02 PM
let's not forget that in India in some town lots of very young girls were forced to sexchange operations just because of some fucking traditions where a male child is more desirable than a girl.

This is just fucked up.

As for the future mom that doesn't want a baby GIRL. OK. Abortion aproved. Any posibility to have another child denied. This would be the best punishment
Jon
donator
Activity: 98
Merit: 12
No Gods; No Masters; Only You
February 24, 2012, 02:42:31 PM
Merit: 1002
February 24, 2012, 02:27:06 PM

People are all up in arms seeking vigilante justice after watching a kitten tortured on YouTube. They are of course comfortable with eating burgers while doing that. Same phenomenon.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
February 24, 2012, 02:01:56 PM
In the UK, you can get an abortion for almost any reason in the first 5 months of pregnancy.  Except for 1 reason...if you don't want a little girl, you are not allowed that as a reason for an abortion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9103839/Scotland-Yard-launches-investigation-into-doctors-who-agreed-to-illegal-abortions-of-baby-girls.html

Now we have a scandal that doctors are allowing women to don't want girls get abortions.  The health minister says “Carrying out an abortion on the grounds of gender alone is in my view morally repugnant”  Interestingly all religious figures say nothing at all about this - presumably the priests are busy looking at nice new dresses to wear on Sundays.

Let's think about this a second.  If you got to a doctor and say "I am pregnant and do not want a baby" abortion is legal and no-one passes judgement on your morality.  But add the word "girl" to the end of that sentence and you not only are committing a crime, you get government ministers saying its "immoral!"

Pages:
Jump to: