Pages:
Author

Topic: About BitBox - page 2. (Read 353 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
April 28, 2022, 02:18:46 PM
I had no idea about this AOPP.
It is a means people that are using centralized exchanges (people that have been verified, KYC) are able to prove that they are the owner of a noncustododial wallet address, a means of privacy invasion. But not having anything to do with privacy while buying hardware wallet.
legendary
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
April 28, 2022, 01:42:40 PM
Maybe I misunderstood what the problem was, because there is no new version on the link you posted - which means you can't buy it for cash even if you want to?
That's the problem. There's no BitBox02 in my areas.

The reason I have been deciding not to get a hardware wallet is because of the data leak issue, once the data is given to those companies, then it can be hacked and leaked to hackers just like the Ledger customer's data that was breached.
And that's why I neither do want. I don't want to mess with throwaway phone numbers, email addresses etc. In the end, I'll, inevitably, have my real name included into a database. I've managed to use bitcoin anonymously so far and I could have screwed up in so many ways that I fortunately didn't. It's unjustifiable to do it now for a wallet.

I have one thing about the latest version which is BitBox02, how it supports Address Ownership Proof Protocol (AOPP) which is against privacy.
I wouldn't buy any product from a company which is so anti-privacy and pro-censorship.
I had no idea about this AOPP. But, how does this imply to users who've bought it with cash? As I've said, there's no way I'll ever have a hardware wallet delivered to my house; especially if it requires me to, essentially, submit KYC-kind of details.

Can you ship with fake or anonymous information?
There's Hellenic Post near me, but I don't understand how's this anonymous. I still have to give full name, email address/phone number and home address. No, I don't think I can just give fake information.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
April 28, 2022, 01:04:43 PM
I do have some alternatives such as using another computer, but due to the convenience of hardware wallets, I think I'm just going to buy one.

Imho you should use another computer, if you have that alternative, as cold storage, properly safeguarded and always offline/airgapped, at least until the point you are 100% that HW worth it for you and you are convinced 100% on which one to buy.
HW makes sense if you use bitcoin a lot from outside of your home, and the amounts are big. Else, a cold storage for the big funds and an unsafe wallet on your phone for small (daily?) funds can easily do the job.

Of course, this assumes you know what you're doing, but I expect so. Wink
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
April 28, 2022, 12:52:14 PM
I have one thing about the latest version which is BitBox02, how it supports Address Ownership Proof Protocol (AOPP) which is against privacy.
Worse than that - Shift Crypto, the makers of BitBox, were the ones who initially proposed and designed AOPP. I wouldn't buy any product from a company which is so anti-privacy and pro-censorship.

Can you ship with fake or anonymous information? A PO Box or other drop off location? Or to a pseudonym at a different address that you can collect from later? Does Greece have general delivery/poste restante?

Having said that, given the never ending stream of problems that hardware wallets seem to be having, I currently strongly favor a properly airgapped and encrypted computer if you know what you are doing. If you've been working well with an airgapped set up so far, then it would seem that you already know what you are doing, and so there is a strong argument to be made to continue doing that.
legendary
Merit: 4795
April 28, 2022, 11:37:38 AM
The reason I have been deciding not to get a hardware wallet is because of the data leak issue, once the data is given to those companies, then it can be hacked and leaked to hackers just like the Ledger customer's data that was breached. Data leak can happen to any company, the company can even sell the data or give it out to another party.

You are only holding bitcoin according to the OP, if holding only bitcoin, then I still see no reason to get a hardware wallet, wallet on airgapped device is still the best choice for privacy or a paper wallet, or to just buy directly like you have mentioned in the OP, but BitBox01 is never a good option because of the reasons Shiftcrypto mentioned and it is old version. I have one thing about the latest version which is BitBox02, how it supports Address Ownership Proof Protocol (AOPP) which is against privacy.

If you can have a good idea about how this can work, you can read this suggestion:

[GUIDE] How to buy a Hardware Wallet the right way

But this should be well thought of before buying hardware wallet, especially using fake name which I think is not advisable because of clearance after the wallet has been imported to your country. But in my opinion, I have thought of many options and I prefer wallet on airgapped device.

You can just buy a cheap PC that can do the task for you, make it airgapped and have another cold storage on it which is far better than going through all the stress of buying hardware wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
April 28, 2022, 11:20:58 AM
Something tells me that it's a bad idea. Perhaps I should forget about the hardware wallet as I'm left with no choice. Your thoughts.

Why would it be a bad idea to replace the old version of that HW with a new one? Well, every manufacturer who cares about their reputation and wants to keep their customers and attract new ones launches something new on the market from time to time. If you want more security, and if you're sure this device can give you that, I don't see why you shouldn't invest in it.

Maybe I misunderstood what the problem was, because there is no new version on the link you posted - which means you can't buy it for cash even if you want to?
legendary
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
April 28, 2022, 10:40:37 AM
Long story short shortest possible: I want to buy a hardware wallet, because the laptop I'm using for decent amounts is ready to drop and I don't want to use the internet connected Windows + Linux computer that I'm using right now; it's too risky for no reason. I do have some alternatives such as using another computer, but due to the convenience of hardware wallets, I think I'm just going to buy one.

I have two conditions:
  • Make the purchase in the most private way.
  • Use a reputable open-source wallet.

Therefore, I want to pay in cash, not via the internet, hand-in-hand and not for things like Ledger that have a closed-source firmware, even if no one has ever got stolen; I just don't feel good with myself if there are more transparent solutions and I stick with non-transparent ones.

So, what's the problem: I live in Greece and no matter my continual search, the only hardware wallets that I can purchase from a store are two: Ledger and BitBox01. Which leaves me with BitBox01 as it's open-source and reputable.

However, Shiftcrypto, which is the Swedish company that makes those, has announced that it's ended sales for BitBox01, to replace it with the upgraded BitBox02:
Why is BitBox01 no longer being sold?

The BitBox01 started development in 2014 and was released in 2016. Four years later, the industry has matured and changed significantly. When it comes to security, we believe users are best served with the most up-to-date products. The BitBox01 is superseded by the BitBox02.

For more information, please read our blog post.

Something tells me that it's a bad idea. Perhaps I should forget about the hardware wallet as I'm left with no choice. Your thoughts.

And, by the way, is there anyone who still uses BitBox01?
Pages:
Jump to: