Pages:
Author

Topic: About Electrum wallet backup - page 2. (Read 2573 times)

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 06, 2017, 01:06:50 AM
How do I choose a backup method?

1. Private keys: I create a private key for each address using "Wallet> Private keys> Export". Using these private keys I can transfer my address to another wallet.
You would probably omit private keys along the way. This does not ensure that you also backup your future private keys. You can export your xpriv (master private key) and that will allow you to generate all the addresses.

when you make a wallet with electrum the normal way, there is no way of omiting a private key. you can only freeze addresses. (normal way is making a new wallet with the random seed electrum generates for you)
and imported private keys are a different story though, the only way to back them up is to store them separately or store the wallet.dat file because seed doesn't recover these.
You can and will omit key if you use the seed, backup all the private key of the present wallet, send several transactions and you don't back it up. This is risky and it isn't really a method that anyone should consider.
and you do not have access to "xpriv" (master private key) unless you open your unencrypted wallet.dat file and look for "master_private_keys" which is an unnecessary complication the seed is doing the same job and is easier to back up by writing it down.
You don't have to. Go to Console, type in getmasterprivate() and bam. You get your master private. As I mentioned, you should be backing up your seed and not doing these things. This is if you believe you can't use Electrum anymore in the future and you want to have your current addresses.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
January 05, 2017, 01:35:59 AM

1. Private keys: I create a private key for each address using "Wallet> Private keys> Export". Using these private keys I can transfer my address to another wallet.
You would probably omit private keys along the way. This does not ensure that you also backup your future private keys. You can export your xpriv (master private key) and that will allow you to generate all the addresses.

when you make a wallet with electrum the normal way, there is no way of omiting a private key. you can only freeze addresses. (normal way is making a new wallet with the random seed electrum generates for you)
and imported private keys are a different story though, the only way to back them up is to store them separately or store the wallet.dat file because seed doesn't recover these.

and you do not have access to "xpriv" (master private key) unless you open your unencrypted wallet.dat file and look for "master_private_keys" which is an unnecessary complication the seed is doing the same job and is easier to back up by writing it down.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
January 04, 2017, 04:31:40 PM

2. Wallet seed words: In this method, I can reach all my addresses and information with 12 wallet words.
This should be your primary backup method.
3. Wallet backup file: This is another method. I can create wallet information by uploading from Backup file.

Which is the most accurate method?
This method backs up your entire folder. You will be able to cover all the labels and invoices saved on your Electrum client. It isn't much of a security risk if you secure it well with an encryption on top of the encryption on your wallet. This makes it secure as long as you use different passwords for both of the encryption. For windows, the directory you are looking to backup is %appdata%/Electrum.

Regarding 3, you are not supposed to backup the entire data directory. Open your wallet in electrum and then use the file menu > save copy option to backup your wallet file. That's all you need.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 03, 2017, 11:51:58 AM

2. Wallet seed words: In this method, I can reach all my addresses and information with 12 wallet words.
This should be your primary backup method.
3. Wallet backup file: This is another method. I can create wallet information by uploading from Backup file.

This method backs up your entire folder. You will be able to cover all the labels and invoices saved on your Electrum client. It isn't much of a security risk if you secure it well with an encryption on top of the encryption on your wallet. This makes it secure as long as you use different passwords for both of the encryption. For windows, the directory you are looking to backup is %appdata%/Electrum.

Activity: 798
Merit: 506
Thank satoshi
January 03, 2017, 09:38:35 AM

Why are you asking how to choose backup method when you already know all of them?  Just pick whichever your prefer.
Generally the seed is all you need to restore your wallet, so just write it down on something and make sure you never lose it.
Wallet file will require you to save it in USB/PC which can be compromised by malware.
Private key exporting shouldn't be used as long term backup because you're not exporting all the possible private keys of your seed.
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
January 03, 2017, 09:22:38 AM

Pages:
Jump to: