Pages:
Author

Topic: About the "Unknown block versions being mined!" warning - page 3. (Read 7551 times)

staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
O ok, well thought they were implementing a  different version of segwit, seeing i read core's version needed 95% signaling for it to go active, but segwit2x is doing it with ~ 80%?
Segwit2x is using BIP 91. BIP 91 specifies that 269 of the last 336 blocks (~80% of the last 336 blocks) must signal for BIP 91 on bit 4. Once there is enough signalling, it will be locked in for a short grace period of 336 blocks. Then it will activate. Once BIP 91 activates, all blocks must signal for segwit on bit 1. This means that segwit will then activate via its original deployment on bit 1. Segwit2x is not actually activating a different segwit, they are activating something else which will force the activation of segwit.

Anyways as long as its the same as core version shouldn't have any forks, i guess until they start the hard fork to 2mb block size right?
There may be forks since 20% of the hash rate won't be support BIP 91 and thus will likely not be signalling bit 1 for segwit. With some luck and spy mining, forks could be made from miners extending a chain off of a block which does not signal bit 1. However Bitcoin Core will allow you to choose the chain to use (via the invalidateblock RPC command) and any of the forks will be valid to Core.

If BIP 91 activates successfully and everyone who claims they will enforce it actually enforces it, then there shouldn't be a fork.

so even in a remote case of an hard fork, which could be imminent, we just leave our coins there on core, and we should be safe from my understanding, as logn as we don't move those coins right?
Yes. Coins at rest are not at risk.

On a sidenote what versions of Bitcoin Core should a person utilize considered safest for segwit2x or does it matter as long as it ain't QT ^^.
Any recent version of Core should be fine, even ones that don't have segwit support.

If I see that message in my Core wallet, is it safe to send coins somewhere now ?
Yes. There currently is no fork, so you can safely send your coins.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
Hello

If I see that message in my Core wallet, is it safe to send coins somewhere now ?
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Thanks Achow for the clarification for those who are not keeping track of the forking issues, this would scare a few individuals since it has not been seen before even if they are running core and know the fork is coming how it impacts the nodes isn't really defined.

On a sidenote what versions of Bitcoin Core should a person utilize considered safest for segwit2x or does it matter as long as it ain't QT ^^.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
so even in a remote case of an hard fork, which could be imminent, we just leave our coins there on core, and we should be safe from my understanding, as long as we don't move those coins right?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Thanks for the warning. Haven't started mining just yet, but better to know than not.
Activity: 821
Merit: 503
It shouldn't matter for non miners right?

Only if you hold your own private keys to your coins.. If a website/smart phone does then it doesn't matter for non miners.

Icon

O ok, well thought they were implementing a  different version of segwit, seeing i read core's version needed 95% signaling for it to go active, but segwit2x is doing it with ~ 80%? Anyways as long as its the same as core version shouldn't have any forks, i guess until they start the hard fork to 2mb block size right?

Icon

Activity: 373
Merit: 262
It shouldn't matter for non miners right?
staff
Just writing some code
well if segwit goes active will it work with our core 14.x version ? or are we screwed?

Icon

Yes, it will work with Bitcoin Core 0.13.1+
well if segwit goes active will it work with our core 14.x version ? or are we screwed?

Icon
staff
Just writing some code
80% of exactly what must be present in the blockchain for SegWit2x to activate?
269 of the last 336 blocks (~80% of the last 336 blocks) must set bit 4 of the version number field in order for BIP 91 (first half of segwit2x) to activate.
80% of exactly what must be present in the blockchain for SegWit2x to activate?
staff
Just writing some code
I'm glad the developers thought to put that warning in. So basically this means that we're getting SegWit2x,
No, that is not a guarantee that we will be getting segwit2x.

or at least the first phase of it since it's still 4 days away from July 21st when SegWit2x activates
Segwit2x is not guaranteed to activate on July 21st. It is not activated via flag day, rather it is activated via miner signalling. July 21st is the day that those who signed the New York Agreement for Segwit2x are supposed to begin signalling and running segwit2x nodes. But that is not a guarantee that activation will happen that day nor is it a guarantee that everyone will actually do so.

and that warning indicates that 50% or more of miners are SegWit2x which is enough to win the soft fork.
No, that is completely incorrect. The threshold for BIP 91 (the first half of segwit2x) is 80%, not 50%. Secondly, a 100 block period is much too short to determine anything. It can be highly affected by variance and luck. You need to much longer timespan to determine how much support there actually is. Even the 336 block window for BIP 91 is very short and could be affected by variance so there could actually be less than 80% hash rate support and BIP 91 would still activate.
I'm glad the developers thought to put that warning in. So basically this means that we're getting SegWit2x, or at least the first phase of it since it's still 4 days away from July 21st when SegWit2x activates and that warning indicates that 50% or more of miners are SegWit2x which is enough to win the soft fork. I guess whether the hard fork stays or not remains to be seen.
staff
Just writing some code
If you are using Bitcoin Core and derivative software, then you may have noticed that there is now a warning that states:
Warning: Unknown block versions being mined! It's possible unknown rules are in effect

This warning will appear at the top of the Bitcoin Core GUI and reported in the errors or warnings field of the getinfo, getnetworkinfo, and getmininginfo RPC commands.

This warning is triggered when more than 50 of the last 100 blocks have a version number that Bitcoin Core does not expect. Currently that is being triggered by miners mining for BIP 91 (aka the first half of segwit2x). These miners are setting bit 4 of the block version field, and Bitcoin Core does not expect this to be set.

The version numbers that Bitcoin Core expects are 0x20000000 (536870912) and 0x20000002 (536870914). The unexpected version numbers currently are 0x20000012 (536870930) and 0x20000010 (536870928).

Currently this warning is benign as there is no fork and no new network rules have activated. Your coins are not at risk.
Pages:
Jump to: