Pages:
Author

Topic: Add user interface to set dust limit and filtered addresses - page 2. (Read 3678 times)

Activity: 488
Merit: 500
Btw, i thought that the upcoming "bloom filter" technology is somehow related by only handling transactions relevant for "your" wallet. But maybe I totally missed the point here... Is there any pointer available explaining what this bloom filter stuff is doing?
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
Well, not for a blacklist. A whitelist  however would for example enable you to run bitcoind on a quite CPU constrained server and use it as a gateway for your SPV client.

Transactions not from one of your addresses would just be ignored and you'd act like a quite passive node in the network. Alternatively you could just relay transactions without any verification - but that opens the door for some attacks, like letting your node pass through some double spends, get choked/banned by other nodes and then maybe even taking over connections that way. Acting as a silent end might be the smarter thing to do.

Even a blacklist can help you right now to reduce background load by quite a bit just by blocking a few busy addresses (SD amongst them at the moment).
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
A dust limit would be nice.

I'd have no use for an address filter, though.

What is the point of blocking SDice addresses if you have a dust limit anyways?

And how do you know the generic 'list of 1000 SDice addresses' that you download from pastebin is even accurate?

I can see no legit. use for an address filter.

legendary
Good luck with their multi gigabyte wallet or huge CPU load to get deterministic keys then. Also it wouldn't be auditable any more, meaning less trust.

This is not specific to SD though, if I choose to run a relatively passive node that checks only few (my) transactions and keeps and distributes the block chain as well as offering bloom filters, it's also already something.

I'd like to have some more warning messages and also a switch to enable expert mode or similar. This should not be too easily changed or set!
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻

Bitcoin address filtering: Never!

0.001 BTC to address A is the same as 0.001 BTC to address B.

This is also trivial to bypass (S.DICE can just gen a new address on page load specific to each visitor but permanently valid)
legendary
Do need! This does only mean that transactions fulfilling certain criteria (e.g. dust or containing a certain address) are not getting PROCESSED or RELAYED, not that they cannot be included into blocks.

This solves client side issues, like too high IO from transaction verification. It does not mean that there is any way for non miners to choose what gets into blocks. That would only work if miners only connect to nodes that filter a certain transaction. Even then the person wanting to include the transaction could just send it directly to the miner.
Activity: 488
Merit: 500
Dust limit filter: Okay.
Bitcoin address filtering: Never!
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
This patch adds a new "Advanced" pane to the options box where the dust limit for accepted transactions can be set, and where a filter on output addresses can be specified. CTxMemPool::accept() will drop any transaction with outputs below the dust limit, or with an output address corresponding to an address specified in the filter.

Needed feature, Bitcoin developers please review.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2383
Pages:
Jump to: