Pages:
Author

Topic: Addicted to hardware? - page 2. (Read 5945 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 255
February 06, 2014, 08:12:07 PM
So just saw the response and thought. I just might make this for myself. Anyone else interested?
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
February 06, 2014, 06:41:06 PM
LOL quite appropriate. 
Now if the wives don't kill us first will we ever recover or just wallow in the addiction?

Nice to meet you.  It looks like a tv show AA meeting in here.  LOL

Hello My name is Grumpy and I'm addicted to hardware. I started with a purchase of 16 USB block eruptors then purchased a blade for no freaking reason during the $500 a blade faze. Sold the USB sticks and went balls out on a AVALON clone from china 200GH/s. Then when I reached .9BTC I purchased 3 CUBES. Now trying to get rid of the clone to purchase antminers. I feel I am deep in the addiction.

not AA, HA

Ah mannnn.  I have 3 miners now, wanted to order two more, but she was not having it.  So i talked up one, and will work on the other one later.  Then she said, the btcs we got, are going to buy another miner.  I told her, "I love you, but yes"
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
February 06, 2014, 05:21:23 PM
LOL quite appropriate. 
Now if the wives don't kill us first will we ever recover or just wallow in the addiction?

Hello My name is Grumpy and I'm addicted to hardware. I started with a purchase of 16 USB block eruptors then purchased a blade for no freaking reason during the $500 a blade faze. Sold the USB sticks and went balls out on a AVALON clone from china 200GH/s. Then when I reached .9BTC I purchased 3 CUBES. Now trying to get rid of the clone to purchase antminers. I feel I am deep in the addiction.

not AA, HA

February 06, 2014, 03:47:34 AM

not AA, HA

legendary
February 06, 2014, 02:02:59 AM

Activity: 546
Merit: 255
February 06, 2014, 12:56:21 AM
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
January 29, 2014, 01:33:47 PM
I'm in the US, MD. If you don't already have a jalapeno it's not a good idea. Likewise if you need to ship internationally.

Mining right now is tricky. Adding chips to an existing jalapeno makes sense, but buying a new one to do it does not. Actually buying just about any miner now does not make sense; the issue is difficulty and power increases.

C
Yep Fully agreed, I live in the UK so its not cost effective but it could have been a great idea Smiley
I already own one I was just merely doing a bit of math, If you had have been over here or me over there it would have been worth while, also it isnt cost effective to purchase the equipment to do it. your in a great situation.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
January 29, 2014, 12:59:35 PM
So according to my maths current conversion rate from USD to GBP for 5 chips it would cost £175 plus  the cost of a jalapeño say £350 give or take depending how lucky your are, that makes it £525 plus a H100 at £100 = £625 plus postage and your time.... my maths says its cheaper to purchase a pre built rig?? I am assuming this is something you do over time and add to when you have spare funds...

I just had a look at your thread on how you do it.... Gotta say its pretty bloody impressive  Shocked

Also are you in the US by any chance.... 
I'm in the US, MD. If you don't already have a jalapeno it's not a good idea. Likewise if you need to ship internationally.

Mining right now is tricky. Adding chips to an existing jalapeno makes sense, but buying a new one to do it does not. Actually buying just about any miner now does not make sense; the issue is difficulty and power increases.

C
January 29, 2014, 12:55:49 PM
whoopsie my bad  Grin (best start a new thread as this could open up a can of worms I hope it doesnt tho)

So according to my maths current conversion rate from USD to GBP for 5 chips it would cost £175 plus  the cost of a jalapeño say £350 give or take depending how lucky your are, that makes it £525 plus a H100 at £100 = £625 plus postage and your time.... my maths says its cheaper to purchase a pre built rig?? I am assuming this is something you do over time and add to when you have spare funds...

I just had a look at your thread on how you do it.... Gotta say its pretty bloody impressive  Shocked

Also are you in the US by any chance.... 
legendary
January 29, 2014, 12:36:13 PM
LOL Ok I was just not sure.
I am closer to have the BTC to get chips and send a Jalapeno to you.  Smiley

It looks like one set is avalon 1 chips and the other is avalon 2.
Do either work in the Jalapenos?

No. No no no no no no no.
legendary
January 29, 2014, 11:47:34 AM

No. No no no no no no no.
legendary
January 29, 2014, 11:36:32 AM
legendary
January 29, 2014, 11:25:37 AM
More to the point how on earth did you squeeeeeze that much hashing power out of that little jalapeño, If you can make that again count me in and ill hand over some BTC   Grin

Sure, it requires chips, a Corsair H100 water cooler, 300 watt power supply, bolts, lots of heat sinks, and time.

But if you would like something a bit more sane, I can do a 5 chip unit that will probably not push things past the edge. Grab some chips from Ebay and send them over. 5 seems to be the optimal number, 19gh-20gh based on your original chips.

Oh and my mrs thinks its great as she knows where im at 90% of the time  Roll Eyes    
Same here. Keeps me out of trouble. That's a good thing.

C

ok just to clarify what avalon chips
this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-x-Avalon-asic-chips-/321306668029?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4acf5eabfd

or

this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A3255-Q48-avalon2-avalon-asic-chip-Avalon-main-chip-bitcoin-mining-machine-/121264087148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c3be7206c

If you want to drop me pm feel free.
legendary
January 28, 2014, 09:45:39 PM
More to the point how on earth did you squeeeeeze that much hashing power out of that little jalapeño, If you can make that again count me in and ill hand over some BTC   Grin

Sure, it requires chips, a Corsair H100 water cooler, 300 watt power supply, bolts, lots of heat sinks, and time.

But if you would like something a bit more sane, I can do a 5 chip unit that will probably not push things past the edge. Grab some chips from Ebay and send them over. 5 seems to be the optimal number, 19gh-20gh based on your original chips.

Oh and my mrs thinks its great as she knows where im at 90% of the time  Roll Eyes    
Same here. Keeps me out of trouble. That's a good thing.

C
January 28, 2014, 09:19:41 PM
"My name is activescott and I'm a haashahollic" Smiley

Reading this thread pushed me over the edge and I bid on that antminer S1 on ebay. So let me know when the next meeting is Shocked

I have 3 of them.  They are very addictive.
Activity: 12
January 28, 2014, 09:09:26 PM
I'm pretty new to it all but I am pretty addicted as well. I've done my fair share of research but everyday I seem to learn something new. After about a month of research and trying to decide if this was a hobby I wanted to pursue I mistakenly ordered a BFL 30 device. Luckily for me, it arrived within a week right after thanksgiving (I have no idea how!). That what got me cooking. After the purchase is when I learned about all the horror stories of BFL shipping and power supplies (knock on wood). I've since been able to acquire a Chili Miner and just ordered a Block Erupter Cube as well (first group buy), slowly just reinvesting my earnings as of now. That initial BFL purchase sucked compared to what I am getting hardware for now. Feel like I got raped on that deal, but at least I got the hardware so no complaints here. I would still consider myself a noob however, and just wish I got in earlier, but who doesn't?
January 28, 2014, 08:51:48 PM
Well, in the "utter orgasm of performance", I now have a Jalapeno that has gone from 5gh to 32gh. :-)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/11893143434_b22c2c4883_c.jpg

Just hit the 200gh club, I think at this point I'm going to stop doing things and let this stuff cycle down....

C

That's sick!! Can you post more pics?

After reading almost all this thread I agree that mining is definitely addictive, for me its more about squeezing as much as I can out of things, I originally started early last year on a HD7970 just to have a go. Im not made of money and dont have thousand to spare but I did manage to grab a little 5gh jalapeño and get it clocked to 8gh and then ended up buying a couple of the old 20 chip bitburner xx boards and got them running at around 8.4gh each so not huge amounts but I am always looking out for bargains and bits to add to it. 

legendary
January 28, 2014, 08:19:28 PM
Cool, that sounds fun. How do you go about doing that?
One step at a time to be honest. Started with a 5gh jally, then flashed it, then started thinking about more chips, then one thing led to another....

And here, as they say, we are. Basically it requires a will to try new things and wonder what the worst that can happen is.

C
Activity: 53
January 28, 2014, 05:42:00 PM
Heh. I'm not going to Amtminers, this addiction has to stop with BFL stuff.

Speaking of which I managed to add a good 20gh of performance to my single/25 here. Now up to 48gh; I might add one more chip ust to bring it to a nice even 50gh. Yep, addict. :-)

C

Cool, that sounds fun. How do you go about doing that?
Pages:
Jump to: