Pages:
Author

Topic: Again, a block with 0 transactions is accepted - page 5. (Read 4410 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
There is no such thing as a 0 transaction block.  Every block has at least 1 transaction in it.

Awesome observation  Shocked Please, make a gift of two or three more like this for my birthday  Grin

Requiring additional transactions in a block is a useless requirement that won't accomplish anything.

So you will accept a block with only 2 transactions?  Fine, miner creates a second transaction paying bitcoins from one address in his own wallet to another address in his own wallet.  Problem solved?

See: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2277187

That is an example of fair policy I'd take if I rule a pool.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Limits on the block size, IMHO, should be determined by the market with some temporary fail-safe stuff hard-wired into the code and updated as needed (like our current block chain protecting max block size).

If a miner wants no other transactions in a block (and forego the associated transaction fees), so be it. When the block limit has a reason to be set above 1 MB, it'll be up to miners to use that extra space in the block as they see fit.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
There is no such thing as a 0 transaction block.  Every block has at least 1 transaction in it.

Requiring additional transactions in a block is a useless requirement that won't accomplish anything.

So you will accept a block with only 2 transactions?  Fine, miner creates a second transaction paying bitcoins from one address in his own wallet to another address in his own wallet.  Problem solved?

You might not like blocks that don't have many transactions, but they are entirely valid and will occur occasionally.  Accept it and move on. It isn't going to change.

It has no effect on the ability of the rest of the network to solve blocks with transactions in them.
Is the zero transaction block not an expression of market forces? I mean, if I want to charge high fees, I can artificially limit transactions by mining lots of blank blocks.

Even if not hardcoded, the rest of the network should reject such blocks. They are working hard with own and other's transactions. Nobody forces me to accept a block that is not including the transactions I want. So, block rejected and wait for a fair one.

This should be a real market, I think.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Is the zero transaction block not an expression of market forces? I mean, if I want to charge high fees, I can artificially limit transactions by mining lots of blank blocks.
Actually that won't change anything, the miner can create tons of dummy transactions

It's necessary, but perhaps not enough.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Actually that won't change anything, the miner can create tons of dummy transactions
While this miner is not adding transactions in his block, there will be times where there will be no TXes to add in a block and I am talking about edge-cases where a block is found seconds after another. Will you also reject those?

Yes.

I repeat: bitcoin is about transactions; so, no transaction should mean automatic rejection.

Perhaps this must be hardcoded in incoming releases of the client.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
While this miner is not adding transactions in his block, there will be times where there will be no TXes to add in a block and I am talking about edge-cases where a block is found seconds after another. Will you also reject those?
https://blockchain.info/block-height/238212

6 minutes after the previous.

In this thread is discussed similar event IMHO, pools, miners and nodes in general should reject such blocks. Bitcoin is a transaction system. If there is no transaction, the game is over.
Pages:
Jump to: