Pages:
Author

Topic: Air gapping - page 3. (Read 544 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
December 09, 2023, 10:00:25 AM
Format and reinstall the computer OS. That will let you to be 100% sure that your device is 100% not having malware.

I am in doubt in this.

There might be malware sitting in BIOS.
If you want to use your device as an Airgapped device and don't plan to connect it to internet, then even if your BIOS is infected, your keys won't be shared because attacker needs you to access internet in order to transfer your data from your computer to his server. For further protection, you might buy a faraday cage and make your room soundproof where you store your computer. Is it necessary to take these security measurements? I don't think they are but do as you wish.
If your BIOS is infected, then buy a new motherboard or if you think any part of your computer is infected, buy a new computer. But also keep in mind that doesn't matter whatever device you buy, they might still be backdoored. What do you think about the idea that every computer manufactured recently is actually backdoored? But I think you are overthinking.

I have responded to Charles-Tim's   statement  which is not entirely correct. Infected BIOS  is capable to deliver malicious payload to OS after boot no matter in what way the system was installed.

Thus "formatting  and reinstalling"  the computer OS doesn't grantee "that your device is 100% not having malware".

The question of "whether it can influence the sensitive wallets  parts" is a matter of research rather than believe. IMO.

Activity: 854
Merit: 772
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
December 09, 2023, 09:40:55 AM
Format and reinstall the computer OS. That will let you to be 100% sure that your device is 100% not having malware.

I am in doubt in this.

If you want to use your device as an Airgapped device and don't plan to connect it to internet, then even if your BIOS is infected, your keys won't be shared because attacker needs you to access internet in order to transfer your data from your computer to his server. For further protection, you might buy a faraday cage and make your room soundproof where you store your computer. Is it necessary to take these security measurements? I don't think they are but do as you wish.
If your BIOS is infected, then buy a new motherboard or if you think any part of your computer is infected, buy a new computer. But also keep in mind that doesn't matter whatever device you buy, they might still be backdoored. What do you think about the idea that every computer manufactured recently is actually backdoored? But I think you are overthinking.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
December 09, 2023, 09:11:28 AM
I am in doubt in this.

I do not think there is any problem if the flash drive used for the installation is not having malware. Reinstalling the OS has been the method that people are recommending.

One way that might work easier (somebody more knowledgeable should confirm) is to boot from a Tails USB and at boot time select (in offline mode settings) to stay without network (now the default is with network on). It's not my blog, I've found it on web search, but one of the last images on this page shows what I want to tell.

Of course that if you want to use it for air gapped wallet you may want o enable persistence and so on, hence still things to learn and check.
I hearrd that tails OS comes with Electrum installed. It would be a good option for airgapped devices.

I was thinking to remove the WiFi card and Bluetooth but my laptop Is inbuilt so If I want to remove this things i will have to unculple the laptop which might lead to damage.
You can check some YouTube videos for it. Just search it on YouTube and you will get some useful information that would be helpful.
Activity: 225
Merit: 7
December 09, 2023, 09:10:23 AM
Removed the WiFi card and Bluetooth. Format and reinstall the computer OS. That will let you to be 100% sure that your device is 100% not having malware.

I was thinking to remove the WiFi card and Bluetooth but my laptop Is inbuilt so If I want to remove this things i will have to unculple the laptop which might lead to damage.

One way that might work easier (somebody more knowledgeable should confirm) is to boot from a Tails USB and at boot time select (in offline mode settings) to stay without network (now the default is with network on). It's not my blog, I've found it on web search, but one of the last images on this page shows what I want to tell.

Of course that if you want to use it for air gapped wallet you may want o enable persistence and so on, hence still things to learn and check.
If this could be possible it will be less stressful than the above option but how do I get a tails USB ?
Have anyone tried it before? To share the experience
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
December 09, 2023, 08:56:35 AM

Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
December 09, 2023, 08:50:57 AM

I am in doubt in this.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
December 09, 2023, 08:35:00 AM
Removed the WiFi card and Bluetooth. Format and reinstall the computer OS. That will let you to be 100% sure that your device is 100% not having malware.
Activity: 225
Merit: 7
December 09, 2023, 08:32:54 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm trying to use my old laptop as an air gap devices, how do I know if it's air gapped because I already used it before for internet connection but but it has been a very very long time and I also removed the wifi adapter so it can be er go online again.

Thanks for your help
Pages:
Jump to: