Pages:
Author

Topic: Alitin Mint Adam Smith Coins compromised! - page 3. (Read 4297 times)

legendary
Activity: 2461
Merit: 1058
Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!
Ouch, that's horrible! Hope there is a Chance to get btc back.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
No.  I guessed they wouldn't answer that question either since they are focused on how it happened.

BTW, I have tracked my coin funds down to two addresses:

1tUcP5FxpPTJhkS3bEpKXj1qbCgUK913U which has 256BTC (hasn't changed since 2/27)

1ERenyvfEepDjFsCgJmB1hwLqRCGEC4Jo6
which has 364BTC and has been very active (last transaction was today)

Wow, large sums of BTC, wondering if all is from Alitin coins or part of personal stash, if the latter I would guess that this is an inside job from one of the founders.
Activity: 845
Merit: 267
No.  I guessed they wouldn't answer that question either since they are focused on how it happened.

1tUcP5FxpPTJhkS3bEpKXj1qbCgUK913U which has 256BTC (hasn't changed since 2/27)

1ERenyvfEepDjFsCgJmB1hwLqRCGEC4Jo6
which has 364BTC and has been very active (last transaction was today)

nice detective work my man ! 
Activity: 296
Merit: 250

[Redacted]
[Redacted]

EDIT:
I think I jumped the gun.  These are the endpoint (likely exchanges), so likely not accurate.  Sorry.

These are more accurate (from my groupings):

19A5uTjZzip9gmNUVjSifeAeUwMdyYQ4zQ - 35 BTC
19ts4csSw2X1gzwsuc3AFQkJk3a1ZG5wtZ - 30.35725 BTC
1M9XcA6kQAoxih2T6ymcr2ShxHZ3uR5dKt - 6.0079869 BTC
173nKDVsFv121rYydJxW7Z13tH2vmyzvrv - 25 BTC
16x5RqEDuDRRKh7muDJ37xReurxWmLj5kh - 13.9967648 BTC
1FjkhxNtTGdNBgqaEKKM6vT1vfWP6sJnHM - 22.74030177 BTC
35o4y29BXAtTXrartEgbbux76ek6XGb4q1 - 7.98259439 BTC

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989
฿uy ฿itcoin
I know what you mean...  If they don't tomorrow, then I'll start barking more!  I truly believe they don't know how this happened based on the conversation via email and phone.  Maybe I'm being played...   Undecided

Did you ask if they outsourced the engraving?
I know what you mean...  If they don't tomorrow, then I'll start barking more!  I truly believe they don't know how this happened based on the conversation via email and phone.  Maybe I'm being played...   Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989
฿uy ฿itcoin
I have repeatedly asked for a list of public addresses, but those requests have been ignored thus far. 

My guess is there has been some sort of internal "breach" or compromised email, etc.  I have been told by JR that they have contacted law enforcement authorities and they will have a public/formal statement tomorrow. 

I'm getting the feeling they're just buying time. Why haven't they posted by now at least to let people know they're investigating the leak? That only takes a few minutes time and shows that they're actively trying to find who did this.
I have repeatedly asked for a list of public addresses, but those requests have been ignored thus far. 

My guess is there has been some sort of internal "breach" or compromised email, etc.  I have been told by JR that they have contacted law enforcement authorities and they will have a public/formal statement tomorrow. 
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
On the side? What would stop someone from taking a picture of the coin, reselling it and then redeeming the BTC in the coin?

There is foam inside the casing which is/was permanently sealed:

In order to redeem the coins, the owner was supposed to break apart the case to reveal the engraving. So either either the private key generation or engraving process was compromised, or the private keys were actually stored to be illegally redeemed at a later date.
It is also possible that someone took a picture of the coins after they were engraved but prior to when they were put in the case.

I think it is most likely that the manufacturer stored the private keys to the coins. Otherwise the manufacturer could have discovered the malware (or other compromise) and warned his customers to redeem the btc in the coins, so the thief would have redeemed the btc right away as opposed to when btc is at ATH
Activity: 78
Merit: 12
On the side? What would stop someone from taking a picture of the coin, reselling it and then redeeming the BTC in the coin?

There is foam inside the casing which is/was permanently sealed:

In order to redeem the coins, the owner was supposed to break apart the case to reveal the engraving. So either either the private key generation or engraving process was compromised, or the private keys were actually stored to be illegally redeemed at a later date.
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
It looks like the coins had the private key physically engraved on the side of them, was that engraving done in house or by an external engraver?

If the private key was not protected by some kind of halo then the theft was the result of negligence on the part of the manufacturer, and any number of people involved throughout the process could be the actual thief. 
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 1222
Just looking for peace
This is kind of scary and makes me think about many other funded coins that people own.

I can only hope this is a mistake and not on their end but some other problem and it gets fixed soon.
Good luck guys! Though if you haven't ,  redeem them already
legendary
Merit: 1004
In regards to key generation, and disposal, there is zero room for error in this market. This is a real shame and it saddens me to see this. I also don't feel that businesses in the physical crypto space should operate if there is more than a single person to cast blame on if any problems should arise. I make an effort to build relationships with my customers to help establish trust, but I also leave my customers with the option of leaving their Kialaras unfunded.

The last thing myself and other honest, responsible makers want is the community questioning our own trust because of the actions and irresponsibility of others.

Sincerely feeling for those affected.

Max-

Yes, I trust you and guys like Mike, who (most of the time) worked alone. Alitin had really nice coins, they most likely had to outsource several steps along the way. Too many people involved
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
I hope you guys who still have your btc on the coins move the btc asap. Something is a rye here.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072
It looks like the coins had the private key physically engraved on the side of them, was that engraving done in house or by an external engraver?
Activity: 343
Merit: 254
From The New World
 I hope they find the culprit  that did this and everyone is reimbursed. We all should watch the addresses and see if this person tries to cash them out on an exchange . The bitfinex hacker still cannot cash the coins on any of the exchanges. We all should make sure that he or she will never be able to move those coins.
My Jeanne D'Arc 1BTC is also still funded.  *knocks on wood*  
legendary
Merit: 1017
Star Wars Ep. 9 is here
My 2BTC funds (#79) were stolen 17Qn7Y27xpAgtjEefEknwpFcLnpCiK4tSA (mentioned on bitenvy's list)
My 1BTC is still intact at the moment 1FF1NtAMX7BTrCxN6fjwNDNuXRmvserH1p
Activity: 549
Merit: 788
In regards to key generation, and disposal, there is zero room for error in this market. This is a real shame and it saddens me to see this. I also don't feel that businesses in the physical crypto space should operate if there is more than a single person to cast blame on if any problems should arise. I make an effort to build relationships with my customers to help establish trust, but I also leave my customers with the option of leaving their Kialaras unfunded.

The last thing myself and other honest, responsible makers want is the community questioning our own trust because of the actions and irresponsibility of others.

Sincerely feeling for those affected.

Max-
copper member
Activity: 686
Merit: 603
Electricity is really just organized lightning
Zepher,

Some of those addresses are NOT the coin addresses but where the coins were sent by the thief.  My second 16 list above are the coin addresses.

https://blockchain.info/tx/4c98843cce3e00dd561f36406fe20afed37d7d2ff33f08e52f4cc716ecdd8e24

With advanced view on, you will find that each address is 2 BTC less the tx fee at the time. Seems correct to me.
If you click on (for example) the first address:  https://blockchain.info/address/1CgoMZvfdxwqb2Wexhsubvb7GfpsUrcd9x
You go back one more level and you will see what I'm talking about.  The original funding transaction is sent to:  https://blockchain.info/address/1Emq52ZTBWC4Qh24FP5TMSThnAu6kGdmy
This is the address of the coin, funded in 2014, not 1CgoMz which was sent on 2/26/17 by the thief.

Okay, you keep it updated for us, thanks Smiley I will be watching as I am affected as well. 34+ coins. This is not looking good for you, Alitin Mint/Mr Forsyth.
Pages:
Jump to: