Pages:
Author

Topic: Alitin Mint Coin Breach - page 3. (Read 6003 times)

legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072
March 16, 2017, 04:29:00 PM
IMO, a public address list for a coin release should be PUBLIC and posted somewhere for users to verify. 

I'm assuming there is some reason the list isn't shared yet and hopefully it's a good one.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 473
March 16, 2017, 04:26:41 PM
To my knowledge, this is the first time that pictures of these coins have been released. I have been given permission to post these, so you guys looking now are the first to see them.

Look at this freshly minted 2BTC, 2oz silver coin with Adam Smith, father of modern economics:

Security Schematic: https://www.alitinmint.com/Images/Schematic.png

Heads:

Tails (Simulated Bitcoin Address):

Feedback welcome!

Forgot to mention that they will publish all of the bitcoin addresses online and a status for each coin. Around 50 have been pre-sold. I am buying 5 myself.

They publish all of the public addresses on their website as they ship them. I got an early one because I am related to the artist and because I bought a larger amount.

I've been doing some digging.  This account rubs me the wrong way.  He posted information/photos about Alitin releases several times that was NEW information to the public.  What other coin producer doesn't do their own advertising? Strange, at the least.

ALL of his photos have been removed.  These photos (above and more in his post history) were available on 03/09/16. I'm sorry I didn't take screenshots of this.  I reviewed everything with "Alitin" in this forum tagged in it when the news of the breach hit me, you'll have to take my word for it, unless there's a better solution to proving this - if necessary. 

And the last two quotes above drive their own questions...  Where did this information come from? What happened to this list? Did it ever exist?

I don't know what else to do. I don't like driving a witchhunt, but something is weird here.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002
March 16, 2017, 03:50:30 PM
Is there any progress on who is responsible?

I have failed to get any more information than is already posted on this forum.

I want this list of 600 addresses published. I (and others) want to know exactly how many coins were affected. The fact that they are not doing this makes me believe there are more than ~60 coins/10% affected.

yeah .. true  : as you can see they are even still for sale around few places on the web .... lol

IE: https://www.cryptodechange.com/product/alitin-silver-adam-smith/

i'm curious to see what would happen in case of buying some ....   Roll Eyes
copper member
Activity: 686
Merit: 603
Electricity is really just organized lightning
March 16, 2017, 03:35:52 PM

I have failed to get any more information than is already posted on this forum.

I want this list of 600 addresses published. I (and others) want to know exactly how many coins were affected. The fact that they are not doing this makes me believe there are more than ~60 coins/10% affected.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
March 16, 2017, 12:49:27 PM
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002
March 10, 2017, 03:59:13 AM
It would be interesting to know a little more about the process for creating the public / private keys.

It could be that the thief is an insider, or that someone has figured out how to attack a number generator for a particular connected chain.
[quote

As most respectable coin makers wil tell you, you should never retain any copies of the private keys, and they should be destroyed after they are applied, so something like this would not be possible.

Plus the computer you are generating these keys with should NEVER touch the internet.

So a "connected" chain is a very bad idea.

thanks!
Thank you for this comment. that's really kind and appreciated.

you are right : all is based on what OP said ...   that's all.   so , if he need to refund few more guys  to have "few more guy who trust him" .... let's do this !   damn : if all precautions were taken, no problem were happend !    is private keys were properly destroyed or NOT ?
legendary
Activity: 2707
Merit: 1181
March 10, 2017, 03:10:24 AM
It would be interesting to know a little more about the process for creating the public / private keys.

It could be that the thief is an insider, or that someone has figured out how to attack a number generator for a particular connected chain.

As most respectable coin makers wil tell you, you should never retain any copies of the private keys, and they should be destroyed after they are applied, so something like this would not be possible.

Plus the computer you are generating these keys with should NEVER touch the internet.

So a "connected" chain is a very bad idea.

thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
March 10, 2017, 02:50:27 AM

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
March 09, 2017, 03:17:21 PM
So a handful of people have been repaid the 2 BTC that was stolen from you. That's great, but you are still out hundreds of $'s in premium that you paid for your coin.  Meanwhile the physical bitcoin industry is left with a black eye over this event, and will likely discourage people buying funded coins from the many competent makers out there.  

We still have zero answers as far as how this could have happened, how many were impacted, and whether the rest of the keys are vulnerable.  This is either blatant theft, or criminal negligence. Either way, the last thing you guys should be doing is praising these people.  

For Alitin, this seems like a great way to spend $20-30K in good will making a few active collectors happy while riding off in the sunset with $100K+ in stolen bitcoins.  
I had attempted to get the FULL refund for coin paid.  And, they refused.  And, I was the one who noticed the funds stolen and notified them of this.  I guess I'm the bad guy again reporting this to them and ruining their reputation.   Undecided Lips sealed  It's rather pathetic that it was stolen by an "insider" and I get only "face value" back.  Yes, I got something.  I'm happy for that.  But, we still don't know what happened and afraid we may never know... 
I feel very happy/lucky to get my BTC back and I also got to keep the silver coin, which is still a work of art.  As we all know usually the outcome is that everyone gets shafted and never sees their BTC again.  That has happened to me many times to the tune of a lot of BTC.  To have a business, who has already closed up shop due to lack of sales, come back and even try to make things right is a breath of fresh air in this cesspool of scammers that gravitate to Bitcoin.

BTW I am not praising their security measures - they most obviously sucked at that.  What I am praising is their response to the theft.  It has been wonderful.  Light years ahead of the next best response that I personally endured - Bitfinex "spreading the pain" among all their customers.  Now, to be fair, Bitfinex is paying us all back over time out of their profits and own pockets and I appreciate that.  But here we have an immediate response and and immediate settlement.  Totally cool.
Activity: 1568
Merit: 544
March 09, 2017, 02:08:42 PM
Or they could be repaying to protect their reputation ....
Reputation was gone with the first post., A coinmakers reputation is a trust thing.
Activity: 296
Merit: 250
March 09, 2017, 01:51:13 PM
So a handful of people have been repaid the 2 BTC that was stolen from you. That's great, but you are still out hundreds of $'s in premium that you paid for your coin.  Meanwhile the physical bitcoin industry is left with a black eye over this event, and will likely discourage people buying funded coins from the many competent makers out there.  

We still have zero answers as far as how this could have happened, how many were impacted, and whether the rest of the keys are vulnerable.  This is either blatant theft, or criminal negligence. Either way, the last thing you guys should be doing is praising these people.  

For Alitin, this seems like a great way to spend $20-30K in good will making a few active collectors happy while riding off in the sunset with $100K+ in stolen bitcoins.  
I had attempted to get the FULL refund for coin paid.  And, they refused.  And, I was the one who noticed the funds stolen and notified them of this.  I guess I'm the bad guy again reporting this to them and ruining their reputation.   Undecided Lips sealed  It's rather pathetic that it was stolen by an "insider" and I get only "face value" back.  Yes, I got something.  I'm happy for that.  But, we still don't know what happened and afraid we may never know... 
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1406
March 09, 2017, 01:34:20 PM

Lol, wait so if i steal hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bitcoin, im under no obligation to give it back other than by courtesy.

lol, you must be new here, ever heard of MtGox? Since you don't have skin in this game, go spend your time elsewhere.

Cool, noted.  So every man for themselves, if you got no skin in the game move along gotcha.  Glad we cant all stand up together we should just nik it out on our own.  Glad you got your funds back, but i think someone needs to stand up for the people that dont come on here every week, or rather meh, fuck them i got mine. Good luck to everyone i hope this all gets resolved well, later

Okay drama queen. Next time don't enter a thread making assumptions on who's responsible. Because that's exactly what you just did. You're not sticking up for anyone, you're coming in making comments without facts, maybe that's what you consider "standing together."

Fine you win, typical.    Moving on then and will forget this even happened, seems thats gonna be the way anyway

Edit: "making assumptions on who's responsible", either by way of thievery or negligence i know EXACTLY who is responsible.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
March 09, 2017, 01:18:22 PM

Or they could be repaying to protect their reputation and to make things right, no one knows. It sucks all around, but most of these people bought when BTC was in the $200s-$300s, so at least they getting face value refunded at a much higher value.
legendary
March 09, 2017, 01:08:14 PM

Lol, wait so if i steal hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bitcoin, im under no obligation to give it back other than by courtesy. 

lol, you must be new here, ever heard of MtGox? Since you don't have skin in this game, go spend your time elsewhere.

Cool, noted.  So every man for themselves, if you got no skin in the game move along gotcha.  Glad we cant all stand up together we should just nik it out on our own.  Glad you got your funds back, but i think someone needs to stand up for the people that dont come on here every week, or rather meh, fuck them i got mine. Good luck to everyone i hope this all gets resolved well, later

Okay drama queen. Next time don't enter a thread making assumptions on who's responsible. Because that's exactly what you just did. You're not sticking up for anyone, you're coming in making comments without facts, maybe that's what you consider "standing together."
Activity: 943
Merit: 783
In Memory of Zepher
March 09, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

legendary
March 09, 2017, 12:53:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
March 09, 2017, 12:51:45 PM
"Privately contacting customers".......... the shadiness continues.
What the hell are you talking about?  How would they publicly contact all their customers?  Are you expecting them to make all their customer contact information public?  Are you expecting them to give you copies of all of their correspondence with all of their customers?

And most likely will claim that XX amount of customers never responded back, etc....  less payback for them......
What in their behaviour so far has indicated any of this?  I understand you are jaded.  Most Bitcoin companies are fly by night operators and many of them are outright scams.  It looks like you personally may have scars in this area.  Give them a chance?

Hope they make all of the repayment transactions public...  
Again what the hell are you asking for here?  You want them to make all their refund transaction public to satisfy your curiosity?  Is this to be done against their customers wills?  I and others who want to will make our transactions public.  It would be WRONG to make all of them public against the wishes of their customers who do not want their transactions public.

Still waiting for that public address list......  Huh
This is also a customer privacy issue.  Some of their customers may not want the address on their coins to be publicly known.  It would be WRONG to do this without their customer's permission.
legendary
March 09, 2017, 12:50:22 PM

legendary
March 09, 2017, 12:42:59 PM
Burt, sorry no.  Im glad they are doing what they are doing.  Nevermind i will let the people directly affected with this breach comment.  
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
March 09, 2017, 12:41:59 PM
AlitinMint said:
"we will offer this refund until April 5, 2017.  After this date, and due to the price volatility of Bitcoin, we simply cannot be sure we will have the funds necessary to refund stolen BTC. "
Really?  You're at fault and you set a very short window to claim.  There are probably only 4-5 people who have claimed at this point.  That's ridiculous!

Have you notified ALL of the owners?  How many have you contacted???  Are you ever going to release a number of coins affected???

At this point they are probably doing what their lawyers tell them to do.
Pages:
Jump to: