Pages:
Author

Topic: All kinds of stuff for sale with BTC. we need to be careful - page 2. (Read 2513 times)

Activity: 54
Merit: 1
Every time something like this is mentioned, I literally facepalm.

Why? It's simple:

This is possible, albeit harder, to do with fiat. Who cares? The vendor should be put responsible – not Bitcoin.

Buying Alcohol from non-regulated vendors on any other site like ebay or whatever would yield the same result.

Edit: words
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
"To enjoy freedom, [...] we have of course to control ourselves." --Virginia Woolf

Empoweoqwj, you're not really adding to the discussion here.  It turns out that the world is a complicated place.  When Bitcoin users are persecuted by association or Bitcoin itself is attacked on the basis of its unlawful use by some of its users that hurts all the users of Bitcoin including those who aren't engaging in those activities.   Because none of us use Bitcoin in isolation we all have a responsibility to our fellow users to execute our freedoms with consideration and minimize the collateral damage to others.  Even when that damage comes from places that are believed to be unjust or misguided, it is no less _real_ and does no less harm to people. Special care is required when an activity is very profitable to you, since that can create biases that help you ignore the costs/risks your justifiable-to-you actions indirectly impose on everyone— including a lot of people who aren't sharing in your profits.

In my view one of the limitations in popular libertarian philosophy is that it takes an overly limited view of violence against others, because a more complete perspective must acknowledge how very difficult and limiting completely avoiding harming others through your actions can be.

I would imagine that a lot of that stuff is just pure ignorance. In any developed place on earth the number of laws and regulations makes their scope beyond any single person's ability to comprehend them.  While some are enforced more frequently than others, it's not actually that surprising to encounter people who are not aware of the rules they may be violating. Even something like selling alcohol— in the US its normal for supermarkets to have beer and wine (and liquor in many places), it's not hard to imagine that someone might think it to be no big deal to sell some on Bitmit.

A possible course of action would be to just politely contact the people selling this stuff (or the sites hosting it) when you run into something that you're aware is problematic and express your concern. ... if people can't handle a little nagging and tattling by other community members they're surely not going to enjoy some state agency breathing down their throat.

I'm steering to ignorance.  It's folks that live close to dispensers.  So I'm sure if it's legit and not a."plant" they are figureing it will move quick. I believe certain things need filtering.  Not all in the states care of you ship booze.  Bit the laws as you know are tricky.  Scares me really

OMG, really, alchohol can be bought with bitcoins. This is terrible ..... hard drugs on SR isn't a problem because nobody knows about that but alcopops on the regular web. I had no idea that kind of activity was going on. Let's get it banned immediately before it takes down bitcoin

Whilst doing that, ban cash as well 'cos I know kidz buy alcopops with that as well from the street, not to mention drugs ...

Valid point,  bullshit is everywhere.  It will be purchased with anything of value.  However my point is not to get rid of it. Just police it.  My state goverment does not allow for importing of booze by mail.  Nor tobacco.  Bootlegging is heavily punished if caught.  It's easy money.

At some point this will be a topic from hell.  Ways exist to atleast cover our ass enough wher we can continue to use bitcoin in the lower 48. If you don't believe the press doesn't already have screen shots of the blokes selling weed on bitmit apparently out of las vegas.  You are up in the night.  They smear BTC as is. Imagine the 700 club useing the political jesus tool to go.  L@@K it's SIN. 

staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
"To enjoy freedom, [...] we have of course to control ourselves." --Virginia Woolf

Empoweoqwj, you're not really adding to the discussion here.  It turns out that the world is a complicated place.  When Bitcoin users are persecuted by association or Bitcoin itself is attacked on the basis of its unlawful use by some of its users that hurts all the users of Bitcoin including those who aren't engaging in those activities.   Because none of us use Bitcoin in isolation we all have a responsibility to our fellow users to execute our freedoms with consideration and minimize the collateral damage to others.  Even when that damage comes from places that are believed to be unjust or misguided, it is no less _real_ and does no less harm to people. Special care is required when an activity is very profitable to you, since that can create biases that help you ignore the costs/risks your justifiable-to-you actions indirectly impose on everyone— including a lot of people who aren't sharing in your profits.

In my view one of the limitations in popular libertarian philosophy is that it takes an overly limited view of violence against others, because a more complete perspective must acknowledge how very difficult and limiting completely avoiding harming others through your actions can be.

I would imagine that a lot of that stuff is just pure ignorance. In any developed place on earth the number of laws and regulations makes their scope beyond any single person's ability to comprehend them.  While some are enforced more frequently than others, it's not actually that surprising to encounter people who are not aware of the rules they may be violating. Even something like selling alcohol— in the US its normal for supermarkets to have beer and wine (and liquor in many places), it's not hard to imagine that someone might think it to be no big deal to sell some on Bitmit.

A possible course of action would be to just politely contact the people selling this stuff (or the sites hosting it) when you run into something that you're aware is problematic and express your concern. ... if people can't handle a little nagging and tattling by other community members they're surely not going to enjoy some state agency breathing down their throat.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

So no doubt each country has a laundry list of things that are a no no to have. I've noticed as of late lots of booze and contraband being sold around the "surface web".; ofcourse I figure some of these are straight up bait.  Where as others are straight up fuck the man style listings.

When the party favor market was strictly tor based.  One could argue it wasn't easy to buy. At the moment there are atleast a dozen listings alone on bitmit that are regularly controled by the US goverment.  I understand that to block, censor or control the sale of anything with BTC takes away from a goal of the project.  However I'd like to keep useing coins.

Ii feel if no community policeing is done someone else will attempt to do it for us.  They won't be so nice about it and the penalty will apply to everyone.  I propose we restrict ourselves from allowing contraband, booze or tobacco products in areas of the world they maybe controled in.

Long story short;

Don't make it easy for some 11 year old kid to fuck everything up buying party favors to get laid off bitmit

OMG, really, alchohol can be bought with bitcoins. This is terrible ..... hard drugs on SR isn't a problem because nobody knows about that but alcopops on the regular web. I had no idea that kind of activity was going on. Let's get it banned immediately before it takes down bitcoin

Whilst doing that, ban cash as well 'cos I know kidz buy alcopops with that as well from the street, not to mention drugs ...

So no doubt each country has a laundry list of things that are a no no to have. I've noticed as of late lots of booze and contraband being sold around the "surface web".; ofcourse I figure some of these are straight up bait.  Where as others are straight up fuck the man style listings.

When the party favor market was strictly tor based.  One could argue it wasn't easy to buy. At the moment there are atleast a dozen listings alone on bitmit that are regularly controled by the US goverment.  I understand that to block, censor or control the sale of anything with BTC takes away from a goal of the project.  However I'd like to keep useing coins.

Ii feel if no community policeing is done someone else will attempt to do it for us.  They won't be so nice about it and the penalty will apply to everyone.  I propose we restrict ourselves from allowing contraband, booze or tobacco products in areas of the world they maybe controled in.

Long story short;

Don't make it easy for some 11 year old kid to fuck everything up buying party favors to get laid off bitmit
Pages:
Jump to: