Pages:
Author

Topic: Almost gave me a heart attack - page 2. (Read 2007 times)

Activity: 222
Merit: 101
March 21, 2017, 01:03:31 PM
Hmm, I think seeing these kind of setup in your wallet will make someone greedy, making a plan or a trick to hack it, it is possible right?

No, seeing a public address does not allow someone to hack it. The reason is you have to know the associated private key. If you don't have it then to hack it you need to guess what it is. This is the fun part. The chances of someone guessing the correct private key are very small. How small? Let's just say smaller than a guy winning his state lottery a million times in a row.
Activity: 280
Merit: 253
March 21, 2017, 09:24:26 AM
You are importing their public address, thus as you said it is watch only.

The only way you would be able to influence the coins on that address would be to import their private key.

In short, you cannot affect other users by importing a public address in watch only mode.
Hmm, I think seeing these kind of setup in your wallet will make someone greedy, making a plan or a trick to hack it, it is possible right?
I don't think there is a significant difference between watching a address by importing it to a wallet and what one can see with an explorer (like blockchain.info). I guess it will make some people wanting money the same as they would see some big bank accounts. Some of them will also try, but they will try to scam the users or hack them and their badly secured private keys. I doubt that many will try to hack Bitcoin, since this is next to impossible by most experts. 
Activity: 1722
Merit: 528
March 21, 2017, 08:01:26 AM

The only way you would be able to influence the coins on that address would be to import their private key.

In short, you cannot affect other users by importing a public address in watch only mode.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
March 21, 2017, 06:58:50 AM

Activity: 1722
Merit: 528
March 21, 2017, 06:49:40 AM
I was just wandering in my blockchain.info wallet because I am bored and seen this import wallet address, I then clicked it and it is asking me for a wallet address, I look some address at the transaction section, look for an address with the most transacted bitcoin and copied it, and there happened to give me a slight shock. I was really stunned seeing that amount on my wallet though I did see it is a watch only ( though I am hoping it to be truly mine)
So I have a question, can this import address affect users or other people that transact or save bitcoin in their wallets? I mean can it be taken from them using that way?
Pages:
Jump to: