Pages:
Author

Topic: Altcoin discussions everywhere. - page 2. (Read 4561 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May 11, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
I hear you.. but does the (lack of) value of altcoins mean they shouldn't have sub forums? If we can separate what we think of altcoins from whether they need sub forums, we might decide that sub forums for altcoins is a useful move for the forum in general.

No doubt new altcoins will be popping up for a while yet, so why not at least try to minimize the increasing chaos of a single altcoin sub forum by giving altcoins individual sub forums? Otherwise surely the problem is only going to get worse..
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break
May 11, 2013, 12:38:57 PM
I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't now understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all most altcoins are simply scams! alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?

FTFY

Lol.. thanks.. but seriously, they're all variations on bitcoin to a greater or lesser degree aren't they?

I can appreciate you not liking them, but is that a good reason to not have sub forums for them? Surely sub forums are simply about making the site easier to use for people?

To be honest I only see one alt chain trying to do something different using the Bitcoin codebase and that is Namecoin.
Most others are just pump-and-dump schemes made by fellows who are butthurt for not being a Bitcoin early adopter, like we aren't all early adopters still Wink

Agreed. Every time I pop in the alt subsection I see yet another pump and dump coin.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
May 11, 2013, 12:31:00 PM
I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't now understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all most altcoins are simply scams! alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?

FTFY

Lol.. thanks.. but seriously, they're all variations on bitcoin to a greater or lesser degree aren't they?

I can appreciate you not liking them, but is that a good reason to not have sub forums for them? Surely sub forums are simply about making the site easier to use for people?

To be honest I only see one alt chain trying to do something different using the Bitcoin codebase and that is Namecoin.
Most others are just pump-and-dump schemes made by fellows who are butthurt for not being a Bitcoin early adopter, like we aren't all early adopters still Wink
May 11, 2013, 12:14:34 PM

FTFY

legendary
May 11, 2013, 12:08:43 PM

FTFY
May 11, 2013, 12:03:34 PM
I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all altcoins are simply alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
May 11, 2013, 11:37:29 AM
Ok, and what should I do with the Portuguese forum? People have been posting about Litecoins and other clonecoins there, but I can't move those posts to the alt. curr. board as the posts are written in Portuguese and if I trash them someone will be mad at me.
Any ideas?

There a bunch of alt coin posts every day?  If so, you should talk to theymos about getting a portuguese alt-coin subforum setup.

One Off-Topic child-board would be enough to send those posts to, after all this IS BitcoinTalk and any alt coin thread is off-topic per se.

That's a solid option.
legendary
May 11, 2013, 11:20:57 AM
Ok, and what should I do with the Portuguese forum? People have been posting about Litecoins and other clonecoins there, but I can't move those posts to the alt. curr. board as the posts are written in Portuguese and if I trash them someone will be mad at me.
Any ideas?

There a bunch of alt coin posts every day?  If so, you should talk to theymos about getting a portuguese alt-coin subforum setup.

One Off-Topic child-board would be enough to send those posts to, after all this IS BitcoinTalk and any alt coin thread is off-topic per se.
legendary
Activity: 826
amarha
May 11, 2013, 10:56:17 AM
Any ideas?

It needs it badly. The issue has been getting progressively worse.

I don't really mind it too much. But for the new people who come and the first thing they see is a bunch of posts about "feathercoin" and "bbqcoin", it's probably both confusing and off putting.
legendary
Keep it real
May 11, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
Any ideas?

legendary
May 11, 2013, 07:57:23 AM
Any ideas?
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
May 11, 2013, 07:53:09 AM
Ripple shouldn't be considered an altcoin seeing how it's hopefully going to be used to exchange bitcoins for currency.
Ripple has elements of an alt coin and a distributed centralized payment/exchange system. It's still very much an altcoin.
legendary
Activity: 826
amarha
May 11, 2013, 05:48:37 AM
Ripple shouldn't be considered an altcoin seeing how it's hopefully going to be used to exchange bitcoins for currency.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
May 11, 2013, 03:11:37 AM
And this is bitcointalk. The altcoins can start their own forum for specific discussion about that coin.
Which is the correct forum to discuss ways in which Ripple might be used to facilitate the movement of dollars to and from Bitcoin exchanges?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
May 11, 2013, 01:58:40 AM
Was interested to read the occasional piece about litecoin and ripple, but there is so much other noise that it distracts from the main event.
I've done the same thing. It would be nice if the altcoin section could be subdivided for more precise ignoring.

Then it just turns into 'bitcointalk.org' deciding what coins are good now, I don't think theymos wants to do that.
And this is bitcointalk. The altcoins can start their own forum for specific discussion about that coin.
legendary
May 11, 2013, 01:34:12 AM
Then it just turns into 'bitcointalk.org' deciding what coins are good now, I don't think theymos wants to do that.
Why can't it be just like any section of the forum: if there are too many threads in a single area it gets subdivided.

Honestly I just want to be able to ignore everything except threads about Ripple, but if I un-ignore the Alternate Cryptocurrencies section my "Show unread posts since last visit" becomes completely unusable.
legendary
Keep it real
May 11, 2013, 01:29:42 AM
Was interested to read the occasional piece about litecoin and ripple, but there is so much other noise that it distracts from the main event.
I've done the same thing. It would be nice if the altcoin section could be subdivided for more precise ignoring.

legendary
May 10, 2013, 11:34:30 PM
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
May 10, 2013, 11:08:04 PM
OK. I have now put "Alternate cryptocurrencies" on my ignore boards.
Appreciate all the work the mods do to keep the jungle in order...
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
May 10, 2013, 10:46:51 PM
*John gets his pail and bucket to clean up the alts, and dumps the contents to Alt section*  Tongue
Told you it was everywhere! 70 posts reported so far just from mining/...
Pages:
Jump to: