Pages:
Author

Topic: Altcoins are a mess, but Bitcoin looks vulnerable to being dethroned - page 2. (Read 1425 times)

Activity: 456
Merit: 250
Bitcoins strenght right now compared to others is it's network effect, but that's hugely overrated. Bitcoin only has around 500k to 1m users, that's very poor for a 6 years time scale. I believe it shouldn't be that hard for another project to overcome this, how? I believe by smartphone appplications. More and more people are using a smartphone with lot of interest to applications and less people are using a personal computer, a semi successful app these days crushes bitcoins network effect in a pretty short time because it's fun, consists social networking and is simple to use.

Look at some 2015 crypto 2.0 projects http://www.coindesk.com/crypto-2-0-2015-turning-bitcoin-theory-big-business/, which have a decent chance to compete with bitcoin, a couple of them aim for the bold part i mentioned.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 500
pow is failing for btc and ltc (too much sell pressure), wont be long till they are fully monopolized. I think PoS will play a big part in 2015

very good point. I think you might be right
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
pow is failing for btc and ltc (too much sell pressure), wont be long till they are fully monopolized. I think PoS will play a big part in 2015
Activity: 1540
Merit: 500
Bitcoin has its purpose. It's almost impossible to get your hands on altcoins if BTC isn't there because it's sole purpose is to convert itself to fiat and vice versa. I don't think anything can take its place unless we get something as well adopted as BTC but I'm pretty sure we are years away from it.

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Altcoins are a mess, but Bitcoin's looking pretty vulnerable to being booted from the #1 spot. Which coin do you think has a chance to emerging as a serious threat to bitcoin in 2015 (or 2016/2017)? Ethereum, NEM, Counterparty, NectarCoin? Something else?
Pages:
Jump to: