Pages:
Author

Topic: Alternative way to set up full node without downloading the full blockchain? - page 2. (Read 367 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
Bitcoin is an open to the public blockchain, you have no privacy.
This is such an invalid conclusion. Just because it's open and transparent, it doesn't mean everyone can be identified by everyone, which is how I understand "no privacy". The more careful you are, the more difficult it becomes for others to trace you.

For instance, if I reuse the same address I'm making it provable that the same person(s) have done all of those transactions. If I don't reuse addresses and avoid spending all of my UTXOs in one transaction, the thing changes. Let alone if I coinjoin, use mixers etc.

As far as verifying goes, he could use 3 separate block explorers to confirm the transactions, which will be a 3X better verification that a single node.
This is also false. The initial block download doesn't happen from just one node. I can create up to 8 full-relay outbound connections. Also, verification plays the biggest role of the whole situation. There's no trust that what you're viewing is true; you've verified that it is.

Not to mention the privacy drawbacks of handing out your transactions to block explorer(s).

You can't run a blockchain network off of only pruned nodes, so therefore aside from a propaganda feel good belief ,
they hold no real value, as real full nodes with the entire blockchain do the same plus the history since the genesis block.
I didn't say they help as much as non-pruning nodes, I just said they also do. BTW, they're both "real full nodes".
Activity: 280
Merit: 30
Aside from the belief you are supporting the btc network, which you are really not
And where did they say they do it for the network? There are tons of benefits from running your own full node, such as privacy and verifiability. Essentially, that's the only way to know for sure you own money of the system; every other way introduces trust.

since your pruned node is not supplying the full blockchain and you are not mining new blocks
Even though they don't advertise the NODE_NETWORK they can relay transactions from mempool and blocks at the chain-tip.

Bitcoin is an open to the public blockchain, you have no privacy.
As far as verifying goes, he could use 3 separate block explorers to confirm the transactions, which will be a 3X better verification that a single node.

You can't run a blockchain network off of only pruned nodes, so therefore aside from a propaganda feel good belief ,
they hold no real value, as real full nodes with the entire blockchain do the same plus the history since the genesis block.
Activity: 910
Merit: 875
Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin
Aside from the belief you are supporting the btc network, which you are really not, since your pruned node is not supplying the full blockchain and you are not mining new blocks. It is literally just a waste in your case as long as expensive mobile is your only internet.

You made points to some levels, and I'm not sure why I was thinking about prune node when I wanted to operate a Full Node. What is the use of a Full Node if I can't transmit them to other Nodes or offer a copy to other Nodes? My question is even invalid, and I shouldn't have to bother scratching my head. I have found an option for a low mobile plan that would cost me around $80 for over 500GB, based on my calculations. I'll execute the entire procedure and provide an update if everything goes fine.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
Aside from the belief you are supporting the btc network, which you are really not
And where did they say they do it for the network? There are tons of benefits from running your own full node, such as privacy and verifiability. Essentially, that's the only way to know for sure you own money of the system; every other way introduces trust.

since your pruned node is not supplying the full blockchain and you are not mining new blocks
Even though they don't advertise the NODE_NETWORK they can relay transactions from mempool and blocks at the chain-tip.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
I also read a comment where someone said it is not possible to download just part blocks as it going to be useless without the chainstate.
It contains blocks and chainstate folder.
I tried to download the files and set-up a temporary instance of Bitcoin Core v22.0 using those files.
This instance is using the blockchain downloaded from that repo:

The blockchain loads but I can't comment nor vouch on the integrity of the files.

Now only if you really want to use it: there should be no problem if you'll just create a new wallet since it's empty;
that's assuming that the contents are legit, there's no existing wallet files in the datadir and you've set the right setting: prune=2200.
It will not work if you'll load an existing wallet.dat or will import addresses/keys because it will have to rescan to verify transactions.

But take consideration of the recommendations and warnings by other users.
Activity: 280
Merit: 30
I'll download (about 400GB), which will cost me roughly $200 of internet plan
What? It shouldn't cost that much for downloading bandwidth unless it's mobile data.

There's no alternative way to have the benefits of a full node. You have to verify everything, which includes downloading everything if you don't already have it. To answer your question, yes, you can run a full node with only few past blocks. It it's not going to show you any money, unless you made transactions very recently.

Yes, you are right, it's mobile data and it wouldn't favor me that way. I would have loved to use a WIFI service but their mode of operation wouldn't work for me too, it is per hour and there is a tendency that their network bandwidth might even be slow and I have years of files to download

Do you mean the alternative from GitHub is safe for use? There is no option to download a few past blocks at the beginning of the bitcoin-core set-up, I have to download everything then decide later if I want to keep the whole past blocks (400GB) or just recent ones which I can set to about 2GB in size.

Just to save you some time & money, you are wasting your time and money running any large blockchain thru a mobile system that is charging you that much.
Even if you were fully synced , you don't know how many others could be catching up their sync from you driving up your mobile costs way higher than $200.

Aside from the belief you are supporting the btc network, which you are really not, since your pruned node is not supplying the full blockchain and you are not mining new blocks. It is literally just a waste in your case as long as expensive mobile is your only internet.

If you are set on wasting your money, you are better off looking into VPS, and paying $100 per month for unlimited internet and 1 tb of hard drive space.
That way you only use your mobile connection to remote control the VPS.
At least then you won't waste more than $100 per month, and you could allow the entire blockchain to be downloaded not just a minuscule pruned segment.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Plus: wasn't a pruned node tied to a certain wallet and if you change the wallet you have to basically re-download? (Maybe I'm wrong with this, I didn't really use pruned node).
If you want to import a new key into your wallet, the software has to know its transaction history and for that it has to "scan" the blockchain. If it doesn't have the chain (like in case of a pruned full node) it has to re-download it.

So I've remembered it correctly. Thank you very much!

Also, then I'd say that quite probably OP, if using those "blockchain files", when he will put his own wallet there, he'll be basically back to square one.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
Plus: wasn't a pruned node tied to a certain wallet and if you change the wallet you have to basically re-download? (Maybe I'm wrong with this, I didn't really use pruned node).
If you want to import a new key into your wallet, the software has to know its transaction history and for that it has to "scan" the blockchain. If it doesn't have the chain (like in case of a pruned full node) it has to re-download it.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Yes, you are right, it's mobile data and it wouldn't favor me that way.

Do you realize that if you run a full node others will connect to you and there will be quite some data transfer (smaller because pruned, but still), also you will download each and every node from now on.. on your mobile data? As good as your intentions are, it doesn't look like a good idea (also I don't know how legit those files are, but that's a different story).

legendary
Farewell, Leo
I would have loved to use a WIFI service but their mode of operation wouldn't work for me too, it is per hour and there is a tendency that their network bandwidth might even be slow and I have years of files to download
Why don't you run your node from home and connect to it from work? You can run a full node for less than $50.

Do you mean the alternative from GitHub is safe for use?
It introduces trust so it's less safe.

There is no option to download a few past blocks at the beginning of the bitcoin-core set-up, I have to download everything then decide later if I want to keep the whole past blocks (400GB) or just recent ones which I can set to about 2GB in size.
It depends if these files include the unspent transaction outputs. What you're describing is pruning which isn't what you want as you'll have to download the entire chain.
What? It shouldn't cost that much for downloading bandwidth unless it's mobile data.

There's no alternative way to have the benefits of a full node. You have to verify everything, which includes downloading everything if you don't already have it. To answer your question, yes, you can run a full node with only few past blocks. It it's not going to show you any money, unless you made transactions very recently.

Yes, you are right, it's mobile data and it wouldn't favor me that way. I would have loved to use a WIFI service but their mode of operation wouldn't work for me too, it is per hour and there is a tendency that their network bandwidth might even be slow and I have years of files to download

Do you mean the alternative from GitHub is safe for use? There is no option to download a few past blocks at the beginning of the bitcoin-core set-up, I have to download everything then decide later if I want to keep the whole past blocks (400GB) or just recent ones which I can set to about 2GB in size.
legendary
Farewell, Leo

I've been wanting to know how it feels to run a full node, and for the time being, I've chosen Bitcoin core. I've installed the program on my machine, but along the line, I was discouraged because of the large historical blocks I'll download (about 400GB), which will cost me roughly $200 of internet plan, and I'm scratching my head if there is another way to prune the block download from the beginning of installation rather than downloading everything and then later prune it. If there is a method for me to download only a maximum of 20GB from a few years back.

Again, while doing research, I stumbled across a Github page that suggested an option to prune blockchain exe, but I'm scared of downloading something I don't know anything about, even if it's open-source and the exe file is digitally signed by Rare Ideas, LLC, according to the page, who knows these company or people?

https://github.com/Blockchains-Download/Bitcoin/releases

I also read a comment where someone said it is not possible to download just part blocks as it going to be useless without the chainstate.

Pages:
Jump to: