Pages:
Author

Topic: Amazon has been rigging Searches to boost their own products - page 2. (Read 338 times)

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
I was completely against Amazon for quite a long time, but I'm changing my opinion.  I find that products they have bought in bulk, and fulfil themselves are usually cheaper and available for next day collection. They are new products as well, and not repackaged returns that some other retailers seem to push. Shops like PC World are more expensive, and when I asked for product clarification once, the manager seemed to be more interested in modelling his suit, and talking to the female members of staff. You don't get this with the Amazon robots.
Activity: 34
Merit: 37
Interesting but not surprising. Amazon also gives different brand names to a lot of their made-in-china products so sometimes its hard to tell what there products are.
When reading the reviews on amazon it becomes very obvious that a lot of the reviews are fake on some products. Amazon has to know about this because theres like 100 reviews posted by the same ip address or user agent or whatever and yet they do nothing about it and profit from it.

A few years ago i was selling HANDMADE knives that my neighbor made on amazon and a seller started selling identical knives to mine. He had literally bought one of my handmade knives, take a photo of it and then was claiming to sell them. I never bought one so I dont know if they were just reselling my knives or making bootleg ones. Amazon didnt do anything and the seller on amazon is doing 100k sales a month now.

Hopefully the FCC and FTC put them in there place soon.
Activity: 994
Merit: 302
Wasn't it Amazon that was also found doing discriminatory pricing several years ago? Basically keeping a history of your product searches and then pricing it accordingly I forgot whether they charge you more for the same product you use often but it pissed off a lot of people when it was discovered.

Though as the EU is very consumer oriented, they'll most likely fine them and Amazon will continue to do as they please. It's more profitable to be fined rather then to change.

Indeed. Pay the fine and just earn it back. I wouldn't be surprised if these giants already include these in their operating budget.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
WSJ has finally come out with something that all of us already knew. Amazon has been rigging their search algorithms to benefit their own products. This isn't surprising, and it's something that most (if not all of us) have already noted is happening.

Though now we know to the degree that it actually happens. So here we go. If you are to search for something along the lines of 'mens button down shirts' or 'paper towels' a large amount of the products that will be shown to you are products that are owned by Amazon through a private label brand. That's not something that is shown to you, as they are displayed alongside the likes of other brands.

All of this is happening while the EU is currently looking into this very issue, and they're seeing if there is anything wrong with a company owning a marketplace and selling products on that very marketplace . I'm assuming they're looking at this under an antitrust lens, as Amazon also controls about 37 percent of all online sales.

Here is the WSJ article as well - https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-changed-search-algorithm-in-ways-that-boost-its-own-products-11568645345?mod=hp_lead_pos5

This is not surprising at all as anyone who’s ever shopped from Amazon would have noticed it, the only thing I’m surprised is that the EU was silent for so many years about this issue. In my personal opinion if Amazon wishes to sell on it’s own platform then they should not rig the results, as this practice is unfair to all traders who sell on Amazon. What do you’ll think will happen now will the EU will fine them, or compel them to improve the mechanism of how products are displayed to a user.

Eh I mean there's this very weird balance between them attempting to show that their products might be better than others, and themselves literally rigging the 'vote' towards themself.

What I mean here is lets just say that Amazon products were to get to the top naturally, people would continue to say that these products have been pushed up by Amazons actions.

I don't know what exactly the EU is going to call this as well, due to the fact that any company should kinda have autonomy on their own platform. It's like any supermarket selling store brand products. Maybe the issue here is that Amazon isn't always displaying that it is store brand. Though stores do this as well, by buying a brand (or starting one) and selling products under this brand.

Though as the EU is very consumer oriented, they'll most likely fine them and Amazon will continue to do as they please. It's more profitable to be fined rather then to change.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
WSJ has finally come out with something that all of us already knew. Amazon has been rigging their search algorithms to benefit their own products. This isn't surprising, and it's something that most (if not all of us) have already noted is happening.

Though now we know to the degree that it actually happens. So here we go. If you are to search for something along the lines of 'mens button down shirts' or 'paper towels' a large amount of the products that will be shown to you are products that are owned by Amazon through a private label brand. That's not something that is shown to you, as they are displayed alongside the likes of other brands.

All of this is happening while the EU is currently looking into this very issue, and they're seeing if there is anything wrong with a company owning a marketplace and selling products on that very marketplace . I'm assuming they're looking at this under an antitrust lens, as Amazon also controls about 37 percent of all online sales.

Here is the WSJ article as well - https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-changed-search-algorithm-in-ways-that-boost-its-own-products-11568645345?mod=hp_lead_pos5

This is not surprising at all as anyone who’s ever shopped from Amazon would have noticed it, the only thing I’m surprised is that the EU was silent for so many years about this issue. In my personal opinion if Amazon wishes to sell on it’s own platform then they should not rig the results, as this practice is unfair to all traders who sell on Amazon. What do you’ll think will happen now will the EU will fine them, or compel them to improve the mechanism of how products are displayed to a user.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie

Pages:
Jump to: