Pages:
Author

Topic: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX Processors. Has any one ordered it? - page 3. (Read 8290 times)

Activity: 610
Merit: 265
The EPyc 7601 also same core/thread and cache size does 1750h/s monero, the pre-fork asic version.

https://www.servethehome.com/dual-amd-epyc-7601-cpus-can-offset-operational-costs-using-monero-mining/

This should be similar.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Overclocking is a never a good thing for cpus like this, back in 2008 when i bought the i7 920, people were overclocking and overvolting, I overclocked and undervolted hehe, that cpu consumed almost 500 watts overclocked,  300w idle. If you luckily hit the silicon lottery then you can undervolt it and keep stock clock, cost wise this is not for mining.

This is just to say mine is bigger then yours Grin

I have always had very good CPUs but never a true state of the art pc.
I am tempted to do it.

I would hold out for the next ryzen 7nm, no point buying this right now.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Overclocking is a never a good thing for cpus like this, back in 2008 when i bought the i7 920, people were overclocking and overvolting, I overclocked and undervolted hehe, that cpu consumed almost 500 watts overclocked,  300w idle. If you luckily hit the silicon lottery then you can undervolt it and keep stock clock, cost wise this is not for mining.

This is just to say mine is bigger then yours Grin

I have always had very good CPUs but never a true state of the art pc.
I am tempted to do it.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
legendary
It should do 2.4K on Monero, 8x an 8 core Ryzen. Lower clocks (across all cores) at stock but in my experience with 2 different Threadrippers is that they hash 20-25% over a Ryzen core to core ratio at the same clocks.... so they might do even better. 

I'd be careful about overclocking on that x399 Taichi. It's a great motherboard but it's not designed for 250 watts like the second generation TR4 motherboards. I'm confident it will be ok at stock clocks, but I wouldn't overclock it. Smiley

not in the plan.

stock clocks for the ryzen.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
It should do 2.4K on Monero, 8x an 8 core Ryzen. Lower clocks (across all cores) at stock but in my experience with 2 different Threadrippers is that they hash 20-25% over a Ryzen core to core ratio at the same clocks.... so they might do even better. 

I'd be careful about overclocking on that x399 Taichi. It's a great motherboard but it's not designed for 250 watts like the second generation TR4 motherboards. I'm confident it will be ok at stock clocks, but I wouldn't overclock it. Smiley
legendary
If you want to get one to play with... sure, go for it.  If you don’t like it, you can probably flip it and get most of your money back.  But from a mining ROI standpoint, you know it’s not going to be worth it.  Even if it does 2k CN, I could buy 8 RX 5xx (used) for the price of 1 chip and get 6-7k hash pretty easily.

not using under  250 watts Grin

But  I did decide to buy the taichi x399 from newegg today it will allow the 1950x or the new beast 2990wx.

I got multiple promos on the mobo

319 + 20 tax = 339 - 25 pay with master pass = 314 - 40 rebate = 274 - 50 dollar gift card promo = 224 -3 = 221 which is

cheap for that board.
Activity: 269
Merit: 4
If you want to get one to play with... sure, go for it.  If you don’t like it, you can probably flip it and get most of your money back.  But from a mining ROI standpoint, you know it’s not going to be worth it.  Even if it does 2k CN, I could buy 8 RX 5xx (used) for the price of 1 chip and get 6-7k hash pretty easily.
legendary
I wonder what the cryptonightv7/heavy algo hashrate is going to be like under this bad boy.

almost 2k for a cpu though

1800 + 2%       = 1836  ..
Mobo Taichi       =  300

cost = 2136

cpu cooler         =   ............  I have stuff on hand
2x16gb > 32gb
1tb NVME ssd
case
psu
gpu

all on hand

it is very tempting to be state of the art
Activity: 198
Merit: 1
I wonder what the cryptonightv7/heavy algo hashrate is going to be like under this bad boy.

almost 2k for a cpu though
legendary
preorder on

Amazon
 Newegg
 Fry's
 Microcenter

32 cores 64 threads 80MB cache  a mofo beast

of course it is 1799 USD

I skipped the 1950x   but I would like this monster.

Anyone going for it?

use this mobo

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157785

Pages:
Jump to: