Pages:
Author

Topic: AnCap~Organized crime? - page 3. (Read 3481 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 08, 2012, 10:17:41 PM
That's because the current social contract is a) involuntary, and b) imposes a positive obligation on you.

In AnCap, the only "social contract" like that is to not fuck with people. You can (and most would) accept a voluntary positive obligation to enter arbitration for any disputes, either by signing something like this, or by signing a contract with a defense agency that includes something like this:
Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this contract, or the breach of this contract, shall be settled by binding internet arbitration by Myrkul (https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/myrkul-4602) in accordance with his arbitration agreement. The arbitrator's decision shall be final.

And that's the difference between organized crime and AnCap: We respect another's right not to be fucked with, whereas they do not.

AnCap is GangLand. Make no mistake about it. By the way, I don't believe you have completed my first movie recommendation to you. It was Woman in the Dunes (relating, of course, to the discussion in which it was recommend). Since we're now on the subject of gangs, my next movie recommendation for you is Pale Flower.
legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1008
central banking = outdated protocol
September 08, 2012, 06:13:45 PM
AnCap has as its central principle the NAP. I would say that organized crime is philosophically closer to the statist model than AnCap due to the willingness to commit aggressive acts or fraud toward peaceful people for financial gain.  Protection schemes are pretty much identical regardless of the "legitimacy" of the organization if the contract is involuntary, signed under duress, or coerced.  AnCaps generally promote a model of protection or dispute resolution supplied by market actors who rely on a positive reputation and results to attract voluntary contracts for service.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
September 08, 2012, 06:11:29 PM
What do you mean by social contract? Because Anarchy does not require that you ignore a "social contract". Quite the opposite in fact. For me to have liberty, I must respect the liberty of everyone else in the world. That's the only way it works.

I thought the current social contract was seen as illegitimate. That was what I was referring to.

That's because the current social contract is a) involuntary, and b) imposes a positive obligation on you.

In AnCap, the only "social contract" like that is to not fuck with people. You can (and most would) accept a voluntary positive obligation to enter arbitration for any disputes, either by signing something like this, or by signing a contract with a defense agency that includes something like this:
Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this contract, or the breach of this contract, shall be settled by binding internet arbitration by Myrkul (https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/myrkul-4602) in accordance with his arbitration agreement. The arbitrator's decision shall be final.

And that's the difference between organized crime and AnCap: We respect another's right not to be fucked with, whereas they do not.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
September 08, 2012, 05:54:26 PM
What do you mean by social contract? Because Anarchy does not require that you ignore a "social contract". Quite the opposite in fact. For me to have liberty, I must respect the liberty of everyone else in the world. That's the only way it works.

I thought the current social contract was seen as illegitimate. That was what I was referring to.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
September 08, 2012, 05:17:16 PM
I've recently been thinking that what AnCap proposers describe sound very similar to organized crime, in several ways.

1. Organized crime does not respect the laws and the social contract.

In a sense, they are living as if the society we have, right now is AnCap, treating prison as a cost of doing business.

2. There are rival organizations working in a free market.

You can choose what gang you want to be affliated with. They supply protection, insurance and "private courts".

3. There are occasional clashes.

Just as one would expect when there are "competing courts", sometimes there are clashes. Most of the time there is peace, for economical reasons.

Thoughts? Would you like to live in Mexico? Be part of a gang?
Pages:
Jump to: