Pages:
Author

Topic: Android wallets - page 2. (Read 442 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
March 24, 2019, 05:08:43 PM
Mycelium is a fairly solid wallet with a lot of options... you can create multiple wallets, is BIP39 compatible, can import single keys, now supports SegWit and is compatible with popular hardware wallets like Ledger and Trezor (I think they support KeepKey as well). It has a fairly decent UI and is generally fairly solid... although I still kind of dislike the transaction fee selection method with the dual sliders... I just want to type it in FFS! Undecided But that is really just personal preference... and the devs are still actively updating it.

Having said that, it has had a bit of a "checkered" past... the Mycelium colored coin ICO incident where they collected "millions" and apparently blew it all on a "developer meeting" in the Mediterranean... the in-app shilling of a "dodgy russian ICO" incident... the in-app ads incident... taking sooooo long to support SegWit and implementing BCH support first... the "0 balance bug" (really just a failed refresh, but understandably frightening for some).

It's been a rollercoaster... that's for sure!

Other than that... your options are somewhat limited... the Android version of Electrum is more of a "companion" wallet to be used alongside the Desktop version, rather than a "full" version of Electrum, as it is missing some key features (you can't import BIP39 seeds, doesn't support coin control, freezing addresses etc)
Activity: 2674
Merit: 713
Nothing lasts forever
March 24, 2019, 02:41:44 PM
I haven't been looking into Android wallets until now because I bought a new phone. I'm not willing to go with Jaxx, Coinomi and these multi-coin wallets that are closed source. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about Mycelium but I'm not sure whether It's still a good option or not yet. I have heard about them going to implement SegWit and I don't know if that's done yet or not. I also know they used to have problems on the estimation of the fees etc.

I know about Samourai as well, and I don't like the UI to be honest and I also read somewhere that they made a bold move by basically remove the fiat price of BTC in the app which leaves the user clueless and could lead to mistakes.
I have been in search of an android wallet myself and finally came to a conclusion to use the Mycellium wallet. Though implementation of SegWit was not an issue for me, the 0 balance bug worried me a little.

I was thinking about Mycelium but I'm not sure whether It's still a good option or not yet.

If you visit Mycelium board, there are some problems reported periodically, but most users still have a positive opinion when it comes to this wallet. They have bug with 0 balance which some users report, and I do not know if this is completely solved.

If you need only bitcoin wallet for android, then pooya87 advice is probably best, it is well known and easy to handle wallet.
Yes, the 0 balance bug existed in wallets but after a research I found that the solution to it was to refresh the wallet. Just hitting the refresh button on the top right corner of wallet would show the updated balance in the wallet.

So I decided to use the Mycelium wallet and it's working perfectly fine even now.
copper member
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305
Limited in number. Limitless in potential.
March 24, 2019, 01:29:27 PM
how about Electrum? it does have an android version, i have not used it since i have never needed it but it is the same thing developed by same developers as the desktop client so you have the compatibility (like with seeds,...) there too.
you can download it from the website direction while having the option to verify the signature or get it from google play https://electrum.org/#download
I feel like that the android version of electrum is a bit buggy and a bit dull interface.

If you visit Mycelium board, there are some problems reported periodically, but most users still have a positive opinion when it comes to this wallet. They have bug with 0 balance which some users report, and I do not know if this is completely solved.
IMO that issue was solved on its latest version they released this week, though not sure if it still happen to other users.

Why don't you try greenaddress or the rebrand of the wallet blockstream green wallet? It's a good choice too.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
March 24, 2019, 07:38:00 AM
I was thinking about Mycelium but I'm not sure whether It's still a good option or not yet.

If you need only bitcoin wallet for android, then pooya87 advice is probably best, it is well known and easy to handle wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
March 23, 2019, 08:12:03 PM
how about Electrum? it does have an android version, i have not used it since i have never needed it but it is the same thing developed by same developers as the desktop client so you have the compatibility (like with seeds,...) there too.
you can download it from the website direction while having the option to verify the signature or get it from google play https://electrum.org/#download
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
March 23, 2019, 02:29:55 PM
I have heard about them going to implement SegWit and I don't know if that's done yet or not. I also know they used to have problems on the estimation of the fees etc.
It's done. They finally added Segwit.

About the fees, I haven't used Mycelium for a while, but I'm pretty sure they allow you to customize your fees starting with 1 sat.

I know about Samourai as well, and I don't like the UI to be honest and I also read somewhere that they made a bold move by basically remove the fiat price of BTC in the app which leaves the user clueless and could lead to mistakes.
They did. Their argument is that 1 BTC = 1 BTC. Honestly, I don't think that's such a big deal if you're looking for a good wallet with many functionalities. You can always look at the price with other apps.
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
March 23, 2019, 02:26:20 PM
I haven't been looking into Android wallets until now because I bought a new phone. I'm not willing to go with Jaxx, Coinomi and these multi-coin wallets that are closed source. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about Mycelium but I'm not sure whether It's still a good option or not yet. I have heard about them going to implement SegWit and I don't know if that's done yet or not. I also know they used to have problems on the estimation of the fees etc.

Pages:
Jump to: