Pages:
Author

Topic: Animals Leaving Yellowstone? Earthquakes and Seismic Activity - page 2. (Read 2116 times)

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
If Yellowstone erupts bye bye US and A?

If yellowstone erupts, goodbye human race.  No god is going to save us.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Hopefully Bitcoin is worth enough to get on a plane for an "extended" vacation with my family ASAP if this happens.  Wink

Activity: 467
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
BitChicksHusband had a basset hound when he was young that could predict earthquakes.  The dog would make really strange noises right before one hit.  Don't underestimate the ability of animals to predict things we can't.  Who knows, the Bison might be smarter than scientists. Wink

I need you to get me a couple dozen bison to test these theories out.  Not sure what kind of results I'll be able to provide you of course.  I do have a good amount of barbecue sauce ready.
legendary
Wow - I worked there for six months.  And Bison don't run like that ... pretty much for anything.
I assume you are referring to the video of the bison trotting up one side of the road.'

The other videos I found, they were pretty normal animal behavior.

So what's with the right hand trot video?  Fake video?  Bison sensing something?  It did to me look like somewhat unusual animal behavior, and I've been around cattle goats and other herd animals...
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
Wow - I worked there for six months.  And Bison don't run like that ... pretty much for anything.
Vod
legendary
Man is the smartest creature on this planet?  If you scale the length of time earth has been here down to 46 years, we have been here for 4 hours and destroyed 50% of forests within one minute since the industrial revolution.

Real smart.  Creating nuclear bombs and housing enough to destroy the world 40 times.  Real smart.  Committing genocide amongst our own race.  Real smart.

Destroying earth is real smart nowadays I suppose.

So what?   Man is still the smartest creature on the planet, with some obvious exceptions.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
BitChicksHusband had a basset hound when he was young that could predict earthquakes.  The dog would make really strange noises right before one hit.  Don't underestimate the ability of animals to predict things we can't.  Who knows, the Bison might be smarter than scientists. Wink

What your dog would predict is called the "P Wave", which arrives faster than the "S Wave"  that does all the damage.  We can detect these P Waves as well, but we don't have much time between the warning and the shaking.

Man evolved to be the smartest creatures on this planet.  Bison are idiots (i.e. dank) in comparison.

Man is the smartest creature on this planet?  If you scale the length of time earth has been here down to 46 years, we have been here for 4 hours and destroyed 50% of forests within one minute since the industrial revolution.

Real smart.  Creating nuclear bombs and housing enough to destroy the world 40 times.  Real smart.  Committing genocide amongst our own race.  Real smart.

Destroying earth is real smart nowadays I suppose.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
What your dog would predict is called the "P Wave", which arrives faster than the "S Wave"  that does all the damage.  We can detect these P Waves as well, but we don't have much time between the warning and the shaking.

Man evolved to be the smartest creatures on this planet.  Bison are idiots (i.e. dank) in comparison.
Bison may be idiots in comparison to Man, but I think your giving Man too much credit here. Clearly, Sasquatch is the smarter creature.  Smiley

BTW - You gotta stop harping on dank, don't let him get into your head   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1176
minds.com/Wilikon

I knew "dank" had to be included somehow in Yellowstone  Smiley
Vod
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1148

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Interesting. Seems like a difference in behavior between the 2011, 2012, and 2014 bisons.

The problem appears to be that the bison are running towards the park & caldera... but maybe they are just done with bison life and are committing bison suicide  Grin

Super Volcano Grill Party!
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
Interesting. Seems like a difference in behavior between the 2011, 2012, and 2014 bisons.

The problem appears to be that the bison are running towards the park & caldera... but maybe they are just done with bison life and are committing bison suicide  Grin
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
I find it hard to believe that a bison would be able to detect earthquakes in advance.

We know of the two types of waves that an earthquake is made of - and they both are sent out as the earthquake happens.  There is nothing that we know of that happens in advance of an earthquake that could be detected.

Besides, how would such a odd sense evolve? 
From even minor large scale movements of dirt/earth it's totally reasonable to think that air composition will change as huge amounts of gas are released from deep layers, likely mostly co2.  Also, obviously the static charges and the balance of charge between air mass and earth changes.  So now you are looking at vibration, chemical, electrical changes.  It could be as simple as some group of these signals being to the bison a "bad smell".

Actually that's a hypothesis capable of being tested...

You would need a hell of a budget to scale this test... Make sure you use the word "green", "climate change", "for the children" when asking for this multi million dollar grant while staying at the nearest 5 star motel
legendary
I've been to Yellowstone dozens of times, watched Bison running for no apparent reason- on the road or off, tearing up trees and then stopping and playing in one of the many rivers there. Nothing unusual seeing Bison running around.
Aw...come on....

you know....

you just KNOWS, deep inside...

this time it's different!!!
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I've been to Yellowstone dozens of times, watched Bison running for no apparent reason- on the road or off, tearing up trees and then stopping and playing in one of the many rivers there. Nothing unusual seeing Bison running around.
legendary
A few years also, similar incident was reported from the Yellowstone. But no earthquake or any other natural catastrophe followed.

Here is one from 2012.  The behavior of the bison is obviously quite different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_bAAoH0JVQ

and from 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JhGNtOBwU
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
A few years also, similar incident was reported from the Yellowstone. But no earthquake or any other natural catastrophe followed.
legendary
I find it hard to believe that a bison would be able to detect earthquakes in advance.

We know of the two types of waves that an earthquake is made of - and they both are sent out as the earthquake happens.  There is nothing that we know of that happens in advance of an earthquake that could be detected.

Besides, how would such a odd sense evolve? 
From even minor large scale movements of dirt/earth it's totally reasonable to think that air composition will change as huge amounts of gas are released from deep layers, likely mostly co2.  Also, obviously the static charges and the balance of charge between air mass and earth changes.  So now you are looking at vibration, chemical, electrical changes.  It could be as simple as some group of these signals being to the bison a "bad smell".

Actually that's a hypothesis capable of being tested...
Pages:
Jump to: