Author

Topic: [ANN] Bancor | Protocol for Smart-tokens, solving the liquidity problem - page 135. (Read 375744 times)

Activity: 1138
Merit: 574
On that note, is there any roadmap where this won't be the case, or is BNT forever beholden to the whims of a single address?

The roadmap can be found here: http://ban.cr/roadmap

As for the freeze capability, it is limited to extreme emergencies only, like the one that recently occurred, and the Team hopes on not having to use this feature again, as per their latest blog entry.

Crypto are made to trust the codes, not the mans.
If 1 key has the control of the blockchain, it's a single point failure that will pop someday.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 10
On that note, is there any roadmap where this won't be the case, or is BNT forever beholden to the whims of a single address?

The roadmap can be found here: http://ban.cr/roadmap

As for the freeze capability, it is limited to extreme emergencies only, like the one that recently occurred, and the Team hopes on not having to use this feature again, as per their latest blog entry.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002
did not hear anything before now , but after reading the last two pages i am not sure anymore if it was a good investment , think i still hold them but i will check this thread every day for the coming weeks

It was horrible incident which raised so many question on the credibility of this and what will happen in future. Before people thinking decentralized network are more secure but now situation is totally changed. I also long term holder of this token and will wait what solution dev will bring in coming days.
Activity: 518
Merit: 261
Scary idea that an alledged decentralized platform can freeze funds. First the hack, then the centrilazation. Both scary scary circumstances in the crypto-space.

you mark a point, but too many fanboyz here... Bancor is not a good project
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1005
did not hear anything before now , but after reading the last two pages i am not sure anymore if it was a good investment , think i still hold them but i will check this thread every day for the coming weeks
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045
So they froze the tokens ? That's not really a decentralized then;
and I couldn't find any mention of that on the whitepaper (or maybe I was too fast reading?): https://storage.googleapis.com/website-bancor/2018/04/01ba8253-bancor_protocol_whitepaper_en.pdf

It's weird to me.
If it wasn't clear yet, Bancor is not decentralized. The team can change most things in the smart contracts at will - that's how they deliberately structured the smart contracts. Don't fall for the team's spin on the matter.

Is there any updates from the team if making the system decentralized is on the Bancor roadmap?

I can understand your point of view on this as everyone seems to have a different idea of what centralization is. Some would argue that there's no such thing as a decentralized exchange (liquidity network, in this case) as there is always a middleman, whether that be a piece of software, a network, or the blockchain. Something always needs to be trusted.

Bancor wallets are on the blockchain, and Bancor doesn't not have any access to user funds or private keys.

My only issue is that I can't find a mention where the team explain they can freeze funds anytime.
Sure it helps in case of a disaster; but on the long run they are just able to arbitrary freeze someone funds.

If I was an exchange CEO I wouldn't list a coin with that power.

It was initially implemented into the publicly accessible smart-contract (line 333) for the emergency use only:

https://etherscan.io/address/0x1F573D6Fb3F13d689FF844B4cE37794d79a7FF1C#code
Yes, thanks for pointing it out in the code. But the concerns remain. If BNT can arbitrarily be frozen by a single address, no exchange should touch it. Since the ICO raised so much money, many exchanges may have skimped on their due diligence before listing BNT.

Activity: 616
Merit: 252
Scary idea that an alledged decentralized platform can freeze funds. First the hack, then the centrilazation. Both scary scary circumstances in the crypto-space.
Activity: 266
Merit: 1
and I couldn't find any mention of that on the whitepaper (or maybe I was too fast reading?): https://storage.googleapis.com/website-bancor/2018/04/01ba8253-bancor_protocol_whitepaper_en.pdf

It's weird to me.
If it wasn't clear yet, Bancor is not decentralized. The team can change most things in the smart contracts at will - that's how they deliberately structured the smart contracts. Don't fall for the team's spin on the matter.

Is there any updates from the team if making the system decentralized is on the Bancor roadmap?

I can understand your point of view on this as everyone seems to have a different idea of what centralization is. Some would argue that there's no such thing as a decentralized exchange (liquidity network, in this case) as there is always a middleman, whether that be a piece of software, a network, or the blockchain. Something always needs to be trusted.

Bancor wallets are on the blockchain, and Bancor doesn't not have any access to user funds or private keys.

My only issue is that I can't find a mention where the team explain they can freeze funds anytime.
Sure it helps in case of a disaster; but on the long run they are just able to arbitrary freeze someone funds.

It was initially implemented into the publicly accessible smart-contract (line 333) for the emergency use only:

https://etherscan.io/address/0x1F573D6Fb3F13d689FF844B4cE37794d79a7FF1C#code
Activity: 686

How do you know that the Team takes security seriously? This flaw was pointed out by Emin Gur Sirer before Bancor launch, and the Team never bothered to change the design. Why was that?

is this the reference to whhich you make allusion?

hackingdistributed.com/2017/06/19/bancor-is-flawed/

That does seem to be the reference. Let me include Bancor's response so that we have a wider perspective:

https://blog.bancor.network/this-analysis-of-bancor-is-flawed-18ab8a000d43
The reality is, this is a textbook case of not following good security practices. This was pointed out to the team more than a year ago. The team did not take that seriously. Now they got hacked similar to what was predicted by security experts. I don't see where in the process the team has demonstrated that they take security seriously.
I do not understand the team's position on security and marketing. They are completely ignoring these two important areas.

The team is working very hard to ensure that this kind of attack doesn't happen again. Please stay tuned to the Telegram Group and the Bancor Blog for more updates!

That's why many exchanges are closely looking for hackers because every day this stupid hackers will always try to hack the exchanges in order to steal the coins. So exchanges should carefully watch this attempts should not happen in future.
Activity: 1138
Merit: 574

It's weird to me.

Activity: 980
Merit: 109
Activity: 364
Merit: 2
How they going to back funds for their users? Or they are not going? If they will not back funds, they can lost reputation.  Huh
Users funds are not affected, We keep our tokens/ETH in our own wallet right? Liquidity contract wherein funds are kept for an exchange was hacked.

Bancor has mentioned that user wallets were not compromised. Remember, only you have access to your wallet. Bancor doesn't not store your password or key.

OH.. I never traded at Bancor still and dont know how its working. I dont must input my private key here like on Idex or Delta exchanges?

You'll sign in via Telegram, Messenger or SMS and make transactions using a password that you set.
Activity: 364
Merit: 2

It's weird to me.

Activity: 1372
Merit: 259
How they going to back funds for their users? Or they are not going? If they will not back funds, they can lost reputation.  Huh
Users funds are not affected, We keep our tokens/ETH in our own wallet right? Liquidity contract wherein funds are kept for an exchange was hacked.

Bancor has mentioned that user wallets were not compromised. Remember, only you have access to your wallet. Bancor doesn't not store your password or key.

OH.. I never traded at Bancor still and dont know how its working. I dont must input my private key here like on Idex or Delta exchanges?
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

It's weird to me.

Activity: 1330
Don't forget to follow https://t.me/BancorNews to be instantly up to date with the latest on Bancor!
finally the guy was right, bancor is flawed...

Security breaches may happen to any platform out there.

Team and company will emerge stronger, and not to mention Bancor has earned a lot of "free press" from the ordeal. A difficult incident no doubt, but not a critical blow. Thankfully Bancor actually has more than enough funds to continue its operations. The team also recovered half of the funds that were stolen by the thief, and may still recover the remaining funds at large.
So, the whole issue with the hack of funds has been resolved? Was quite big news everywhere in the cryptospace. Almost all videos I watched on Youtube this week about crypto covered it.. Tongue

Hello, the platform is back in action. Here's the latest update: https://twitter.com/Bancor/status/1017012630639259654
I think their point of view is understandable by security's angle that they kept the freezing option to handle emergency's situation. This makes the Bancor's token semi-decentralized but we are still in early stages so it is acceptable. This is still better than fully centralized exchanges which can freeze your whole assets. The platform is coming back easy buy easy this is good news.

Better safe than sorry, right, Boopy?  Smiley The platform is back and the team embraced the situation as something to improve on.
Jump to: