Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] bitaddress.org Safe JavaScript Bitcoin address/private key - page 17. (Read 153019 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
why does this:

Code:
cypher@cypher:~/Desktop$ sha1sum bitaddress.org.html
2d139339eaf0d1884436c316525e2f89d7249d45  bitaddress.org.html

not match this:

2014-04-15: status ACTIVE
bitaddress.org-v2.9.0-SHA1-6e9ae5c64d510b53fa39e36a3017d5342b838984.html
 - Split Wallet: Shamir's Secret Sharing for a Bitcoin private key.
   Thanks to Jeff Weiss.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Hi

Many thanks for your hard work. I used bitaddress.org a few weeks ago to create my first ever paper wallet. I was holding a bit too much BTC unsafely until then.  Undecided

When I created my paper wallet, which I printed a couple of copies of, I messed up when attempting to laminate them and they both ended up getting chewed. Fortunately I could still scan the QR Codes so I didn't lose my BTC. Cheesy

The problem I then had was that I didn't want to start from scratch but I still wanted a nice, and laminated, paper wallet. I tried using GIMP to do a recreation but the text was way too blurry when rotated and it was generally below par. I ended up using HTML and CSS to recreate my paper wallets and I'm glad to say it was successful. In doing this I ended up creating a utility that can do all this for me. It includes your background but nothing else. It doesn't recreate the QR Codes either, you have to use your 'Wallet Details' to do that. I think some others may find it useful if they mess up like me, is it okay to distribute it and if so how do I attribute your background to you?

If it's not okay or if you don't mind doing so could you please include the ability to recreate paper wallets from a given private key in bitaddress.org?
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Thank you pointbiz for all your exceptional work!

Split wallet is excellent addition. Also, new menu design looks great.

Thanks!
Activity: 632
Merit: 768
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
Shamir's secret will be an excelent upgrade to this (already) good tool!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Activity: 437
Merit: 415
1ninja
Shamir's secret sharing is coming next:
https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/commit/7e760cb0c61b3f4218e41a239021f839f5fb8b93
https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/pull/57
Thanks to Jeff Weiss for the commits.

Example use case 2 of 3:
Division of 3 shares:
1 share in a safety deposit box ("Box")
1 share at Home
1 share at Work
Threshold of 2 can be redeemed in these permutations
Home + Box
Work + Box
Home + Work

Example use case 7 of 13:
Division of 13 shares:
4 shares in a safety deposit box ("Box")
3 shares with good friend Angie
3 shares with good friend Fred
3 shares with Self at home or office
Threshold of 7 can be redeemed in these permutations
Self + Box (no trust to spend your coins but your friends are backing up your shares)
Angie + Box (Angie will send btc to executor of your will)
Fred + Box (if Angie hasn't already then Fred will send btc to executor of your will)
Angie + Fred + Self (bank fire/theft then you with both your friends can spend the coins)
Activity: 8
Could anyone program a bitcoin address generator for an hp 50g calculator?
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Small display bug (using Safari or Firefox):

At "Paper Wallet" tab, create 2 or more addresses using "Hide Art?" check-box (so no artwork is used). After addresses are generated, if you click again on check-box "Hide Art?" or "BIP38 Encrypt?", private keys start jumping around.

If you do the same as 1., but you also use BIP38 option, after addresses are generated, if you click on "BIP38 Encrypt?" check-box, font size changes.

I tried with Safari and Firefox, can someone test with Chrome?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
https://gliph.me/hUF
[...] easy checking for Coins Stats.....[...]

I just use the Bitcoin Balance app
http://alarmred.com/bitcoinbalance
BG4
legendary
Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024
PaperSafe

I would like to say Thank you for this GOLD Standard for Cold storage Paper wallets. ....I would just like to take this time and add my experiences that I have been working with....In the last few week I have upgraded my cell phone to a Samsung Galaxy Note 3...Little did I know ..It has NFC ( near Field Comminication) with Special Programmable Tags...Also The nexus 7 2013 does this also but not as many tags are compatable...There are other threads on the NFC uses with bitcoin on the forum if you look....This week , Staples has a Hot laminator On sale for $29.00 with 5 mill. pocket note card Laminating stock that the Paper wallet fits in nicely..This makes the Paper wallet almost indestructible.....Now comes the NFC tag...I added a NFC tag into the Wallet near the Load QR on the reverse side....This NFC tag when scanned loads the Blockchain.info site for that bitcoin address for easy checking for Coins Stats.....Because the Wallet is hot laminated The Halogram stickers aren't needed because you would need to cut the wallet with sissors to access the Redeem code... The NFC tag is Laminated with in the paper wallet....Just lay Nexus 7 or Samsung Note 3 on to of the paper wallet instantly shows Wallet amount......I also added a Numbered Holagram sticker just the give a serial number for reference and would like to somehow add that into the blockchain as an extra security step...

I would like to make one request....Denominations on the paper wallet..(0.1)(0.01)(0.001)bitcoins Maybe with differant colors.....Or Happy Birthday Wallets....( I like the Christmas Wallet idea)
Maybe  Have a field on the Front that  Users can add  Notes for that Wallet, So a message to someone or the Denomination amount can be added

*These wallets that I am making are for LONG term storage....I am trying to fine out how long the Programmable NFC holds it memory
Activity: 261
Merit: 285
Could you possibly make a wallet using a deck of cards?

I researched this a bit in putting together these instructions (see below.)

mix up a deck of 52 playing cards (after thoroughly shuffling it at least 10 times) and enter at least the top 31 cards in this format: 5S-10H-AC-... (where 5S = 5 of Spades, 10H = 10 of Hearts, AC = Ace of Clubs, etc.)

Here's where I asked for feedback/confirmation of this strategy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x15xq/i_shuffled_a_deck_of_52_cards_how_many_playing/

For bitaddress.org you just feed your string of cards into the wallet details tab for "enter private key" and allow it to SHA256 your input.
ffe
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Could you possibly make a wallet using a deck of cards? There are an insane amount of combinations possible, and you could at least just make a brainwallet by putting in the cards in order. Then you can just keep the deck in that order to save it.

Yes. Just shuffle a deck well and deal a few cards then enter them, using a code for each card, as the password in a brain wallet generator. Something like 1H for ace of hearts and KS for king of spades.

You need to pick the entropy you want, which will give you how many cards are needed in the deal. The whole deck gives you 52! combinations or 226 bits of entropy. You probably don't need much more than 100 bits though - so, fewer cards.

Number   Bits of
of cards   Entropy
15               82
16               87
17               93
18               98
19               103
20               108
21               113
22               118
23               123
24               128
25               132

Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
Could you possibly make a wallet using a deck of cards? There are an insane amount of combinations possible, and you could at least just make a brainwallet by putting in the cards in order. Then you can just keep the deck in that order to save it.
Activity: 37
Hi Pointbiz,

I made a Hungarian translation.
When will it be pulled to the program approximately?

Best regards,
   Wotan777
Activity: 261
Merit: 285
integrate the ability to insert a previously generated uncompressed private key from one's old cold storage wallet, and generate the bip38 encrypted version of that key.
I'm interested in this too. Any programmers who can tell us how much work this might be?

See the FAQ labeled How do I convert a non-encrypted wallet to use BIP38 here:

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bip38-password-encrypted-wallets/

Basically, you scan (or type in) your private key in the validate tab, click the button to print this out as a paper wallet, and click the checkbox to add BIP38. I know this isn't exactly what you're asking since this is a different website, but bitcoinpaperwallet.com is a fork of bitaddress.org so it might not be too difficult to merge in that code.
Activity: 322
Merit: 116
i recall a post describing how to modify the code to allow for custom backgrounds to make your own designs of paper wallet but can't seem to locate this. any one happen to have this handy? thanks!
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
it would be great if you could:

1.  integrate the ability to insert a previously generated uncompressed private key from one's old cold storage wallet, and generate the bip38 encrypted version of that key.
Already implemented here: http://www.bit2factor.org/ https://github.com/mannkind/bit2factor.org

How would I modify this script for another coin? e.g. CatCoin, EarthCoin etc..
I'm interested in this too. Any programmers who can tell us how much work this might be?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
how do you spend the funds that are stored to a bip38 encrypted password wallet?

found an answer: http://www.bit2factor.org and click "decrypt private key".   then import that private key into a client, or sweep it using something like the cold storage spend feature in mycelium for android.  to do that, you can generate a qr code of the private key using the "wallet details" tab from bitaddress.org and then scan that from mycelium.

It is not clear but you can decrypt the BIP38 on the "wallet details" tab. You just enter the BIP38 key and click View Details and it will show the passphrase input and a button to decrypt.

it would be great if you could:

1.  integrate the ability to insert a previously generated uncompressed private key from one's old cold storage wallet, and generate the bip38 encrypted version of that key.

2.  implement the ability to generate a distributed passphrase backup using Shamir's Secret Sharing as implemented here:  https://encryptedbitcoinwallet.com/
Activity: 771
Merit: 258
Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!
Does the speed of PC / computer you have affect the security or randomness of the address created with bitaddress? Any minimum spec advised?
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
[...]
As it is, it's too much of a hassle to verify authenticity.

Not at all.
Ok, could you describe how you do it then?
Pages:
Jump to: