Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin propaganda QR-Code - page 3. (Read 16595 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 17, 2011, 05:54:38 AM
zxing's android scanner couldn't read #1 or #4.

#5 goes to http://qrlicious.com which i'm now going to visit...
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
BitVapes.com
September 17, 2011, 05:46:03 AM
check these out, I'd love to see a bitcoin QR code like these

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 17, 2011, 03:44:31 AM

this image crashed zxing's barcode scanner for android Cheesy

it was seeing markers everywhere and couldn't figure out what to read.
Activity: 530
Merit: 500
September 17, 2011, 03:43:33 AM
I like this interpretation, now what if I sell a $20 t-shirt with the QR code, and a blank shirt of the same price, but I don't advertise or list this theoretical $20 shirt without the QR code on my site, but agree to sell the blank shirt at the same price if someone requested it?

Creative Commons is a child of the attribution economy spearheaded amongst others by the Open Source community. (Some of Lessig's better known books are a good read on that subject). Attribution and OSS licenses are closely related to intention, as can be seen when someone slips up on an Open Source license violation. If it wasn't by intention, the community is fine with it. If it was intentionally, hell breaks loose.

So. If your intention is to just sell phelix' QR-code on an otherwise blank t-shirt, and that is your business idea, my opinion would be that you would be in violation of the CC license.

If your business is in selling something else and the QR-code is just added to advertise or to explain Bitcoin, I'd consider that to be ok.

(IANAL, but they do ask me for CC and OSS license explanations)
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
September 17, 2011, 03:22:07 AM
E.g. white t-shirt without QR-code $10 and with QR-code $20 wouldn't be ok. Print t-shirt without QR-code $20 and with QR-code $20 would be.

I like this interpretation, now what if I sell a $20 t-shirt with the QR code, and a blank shirt of the same price, but I don't advertise or list this theoretical $20 shirt without the QR code on my site, but agree to sell the blank shirt at the same price if someone requested it?

(The best thing would of course be for phelix to add his intentions to the OP)

yes, please.
September 17, 2011, 03:07:44 AM
Too bad this is released as non-commercial, how can anyone put it on stickers, shirts etc?  They would have to give them away for free?   No incentive to do so.  Can someone make a similiar but original work and release it public domain?  I like the one marcusaurelius did in this thread as pub domain but I prefer the 'dots' in the OP's image

Depends on how you (and phelix) reads the license. I read it as you're not allowed to use the QR-code itself for commercial gain, but if it's just part something else and that something else is what has the value you're charging for I don't see how that would be against the license.

E.g. white t-shirt without QR-code $10 and with QR-code $20 wouldn't be ok. Print t-shirt without QR-code $20 and with QR-code $20 would be.

Other opinions? I admit to being a huge fan of CC licenses and the topic of what constitutes NC or non-NC comes up regularly among us who use it.

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Defining_Noncommercial

Especially this comment from Lessig himself should be relevant to this case: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-02-07-n77.html

(The best thing would of course be for phelix to add his intentions to the OP)
Activity: 35
September 17, 2011, 02:43:30 AM
Too bad this is released as non-commercial, how can anyone put it on stickers, shirts etc?  They would have to give them away for free?   No incentive to do so.  Can someone make a similiar but original work and release it public domain?  I like the one marcusaurelius did in this thread as pub domain but I prefer the 'dots' in the OP's image
Activity: 124
July 25, 2011, 02:03:42 PM

I assume the image you posted is a low resolution copy of the original high resolution file used for printing the stickers?  Shocked

Correct.  Sorry for not making that clear. 
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
July 25, 2011, 11:36:41 AM
Ok I had a little time and the stuff to put this together:

Stickers are 2"x2" and come in sheets of 16.  I can sell a sheet for the btc equivalent of 1.50usd shipped to anywhere in the US.  I'll also take Mt. Gox, Dwolla, or nmc.  If you want one of the other versions I can probably make them too.  PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!

I assume the image you posted is a low resolution copy of the original high resolution file used for printing the stickers?  Shocked

Activity: 124
July 24, 2011, 02:46:24 PM
Ok I had a little time and the stuff to put this together:

Stickers are 2"x2" and come in sheets of 16.  I can sell a sheet for the btc equivalent of 1.50usd shipped to anywhere in the US.  I'll also take Mt. Gox, Dwolla, or nmc.  If you want one of the other versions I can probably make them too.  PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!
Activity: 37
July 24, 2011, 02:07:01 PM
for those who want to print it on a billboard, i put up a vector version:

http://ma.eatgold.com/btc/qr-sticker.pdf [PDF, 14kb]
legendary
July 24, 2011, 01:09:01 PM
Very nice QR code! However, I hated that little square, so I changed it to dots. Probably a violation of QR design, but still readable with my CodeUp mobile phone SW!

BTW, do you have the original image in vector format (or bitmap with higher DPI?)

I would not recommend to modify that positioning marker as it is a very sensitive part of the code and may cause trouble with some readers (though I checked a couple and it worked fine). Also I am very used to the look of it.

There is no vector format of the whole code. I could create a higher resolution bitmap but only if it was really really necessay because you wanted to print it very big - like put it on a whole building or something =)
Activity: 531
Merit: 505
July 23, 2011, 06:47:23 AM
Very nice QR code! However, I hated that little square, so I changed it to dots. Probably a violation of QR design, but still readable with my CodeUp mobile phone SW!

BTW, do you have the original image in vector format (or bitmap with higher DPI?)
legendary
July 22, 2011, 05:46:26 PM
Google Goggles scans Phelix's fine for me.  It's still unable to be scanned with Barcode Scanner for some reason though.  Odd.

barcode scanner seems to have a problem with the orange. it is close to the edge between white/black.

if someone makes a sticker or otherwise prints my code be very carefull that the orange does not get lighter and test (prototypes) well.
Activity: 311
Merit: 251
Bitcoin.se site owner
July 22, 2011, 03:40:55 PM
Very nice job, phelix!
July 22, 2011, 03:21:17 PM
Just to add then that both scan in the same amount of time (instant) for me on a Sony Ericsson Arc using NeoReader.

Activity: 563
Merit: 501
betwithbtc.com
July 22, 2011, 02:32:51 PM
Both scanned successfully for me in 1 sec or less (Barcode Scanner for Android).
Activity: 118
Merit: 10
July 22, 2011, 02:23:20 PM
Google Goggles scans Phelix's fine for me.  It's still unable to be scanned with Barcode Scanner for some reason though.  Odd.
Activity: 407
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
July 22, 2011, 02:14:14 PM
Cyanogenmod 7, Barcode Scanner 3.6.  Scans instantly.

Well done, phelix.  I didn't know you could get rid of half the timing info like that, and it looks amazing.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
July 22, 2011, 02:13:30 PM
I scanned the OP code perfectly on my iPhone with RedLaser
Pages:
Jump to: