Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] CRYPTO25: The First Professional Altcoin Index - page 2. (Read 12669 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
(Not affiliated with Bitfinex)
The index outperformed Bitcoin a total of 4%.

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com
Also I am very curious, how the top 25 cryptos will perform relatively to the BTC. What do you guys think?

It will be a mostly flat line in 2015, but 2016 should see quite a bit of upside action, so get ready to get bored for a while )

I have to agree mostly flat because most (except for a small %) require BTC for the alt coin purchase.

Yes, but there were serious BTC inflow to cryptos in 2nd half of 2013 followed by a big outflow since. So if we think that longterm BTC will increase in price, it is not too unlikely that there will be a net-BTC-inflow to cryptos.
legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
Also I am very curious, how the top 25 cryptos will perform relatively to the BTC. What do you guys think?

It will be a mostly flat line in 2015, but 2016 should see quite a bit of upside action, so get ready to get bored for a while )

I have to agree mostly flat because most (except for a small %) require BTC for the alt coin purchase.

Interesting Wink

You can add your voice here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pollhow-will-the-top-25-altcoins-perform-compared-to-btc-860533
Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cool stuff...like our very own FTSE or S&P index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTSE_100_Index

Thanks!

Yes, that is how it is intended. It will be interesting to see how this project develops.

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cool project!
Activity: 854
Merit: 1001
Cool stuff...like our very own FTSE or S&P index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTSE_100_Index
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
I can't open the site, error is "server not found".

Could you please check, thanks.

Edit: Now it works, thank you!  Smiley
This weeks weights were calculated in the following way:

The following currencies were excluded to the above-mentioned liquidity problem:
- FuelCoin (FC2)
- Mastercoin (MSC)
- Quark (QRK)
- Zetacoin (ZET)
Wow that looks pretty cool. Is it just the top 25 coins on Coinmarketcap?

No, there are strict rules, that are followed to calculate the exact weights and coinselection. I updated the FAQ in the op.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
Wow that looks pretty cool. Is it just the top 25 coins on Coinmarketcap?
Hello!

I am proud to announce Crypto25, the first professional altcoin Index!

Preview: http://jnxt.org/crypto25/
(Kudos to jones for creating this awesome site!)

FAQ:

What is Crypto25?

Crypto25 is an index, that tracks performance of the 25 altcoins with the highest market cap compared to bitcoin. So the index will go up, if the 25 altcoins will perform better than Bitcoins and will go down, if they perform worse.

Why do we need such an index?

Indices are very popular in the world of finance and it is sad to see, that there is no such project in the altcoin world. There are several advantages that come with indices: You can check one chart to see how most of the altcoin market is doing. Also having an index makes it very easy to create products that track the performance, for example an ETF, Futures or options. Another cool thing is, that you can check of your portfolio outperformed the index in the mid to longterm!

Who decides what the index weights are?

Coinselection:
Optimally the top 25 ranked coins on http://coinmarketcap.com/ are used for the index, but coins that fail to be liquid enough, will be dropped from the index. This is done to ensure, that one can always invest according to the index and not run into liquidity problems.

Index weights:

Index weights are calculated using their relative marketcapitalisations with the following constraints applied:
  • No altcoin weight can be >10%
  • Index Rank 1-5: >=6%
  • Index Rank 6-10: >=4%
  • Index Rank 11-15: >=2%
  • Index Rank 16-20: >=1.5%
  • Index Rank 20-25: >=1%

The weights are then calculated using excels solver using the above-mentioned constraints.

How can I invest to get the same performance as the index?

You will have to invest into the same coins as the index weights and update your portfolio once a week, when the index weights change. In a few weeks, we will launch an ETF, that will do those investments for you.

Feel free to ask anything you like!
Pages:
Jump to: