Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Cryptocurrency Legal Advocacy Group (CLAG) - page 2. (Read 9840 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Yay! This is a great idea until someone someday comes up with a decentralized form of law.  Wink

There have been historical examples of decentralized law and justice, and there are modern authors who write about how it could apply to nowadays societies.

OP, great initiative. I wish you success, and hope you create an example for other institutions of the same kind worldwide.

donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
+1

This is great for Bitcoin!
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
NewsBTC Canada
A very interesting development and potentially a great benefit to Bitcoin. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Very cool.  Watching.
Activity: 150
Merit: 108
I am sure all BTC-related businesses have already spent considerable resources on legal aspects. It would be a shame if conclusions and findings of all this effort remained fragmented and hidden. Perhaps a good first step for CLAG would be to get in touch with as many BTC businesses as possible and compile and publish relevant legal adventures to date. The next step would then involve coordination of future efforts, advocacy, and general PR.

Agreed. We are in contact with many of these businesses and hope to collaborate with them for the benefit of the community.

Yankee, PM me or add me on skype matt_elias
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
I am sure all BTC-related businesses have already spent considerable resources on legal aspects. It would be a shame if conclusions and findings of all this effort remained fragmented and hidden. Perhaps a good first step for CLAG would be to get in touch with as many BTC businesses as possible and compile and publish relevant legal adventures to date. The next step would then involve coordination of future efforts, advocacy, and general PR.

Yup, I agree.

If you see my post above, I wrote the same thing. Personally, we have spent thousands on legal research
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
This is really good to bitcoin.
legendary
I wish you the best of luck on this!

Being an business owner and an MSB in the US, myself along with most of the Bitcoin Business Owners deal with legalities and compliance on a daily basis.

We even have our own legal team who've spent hours and hours of research. I'm not the only one who's doing this.

Let's get in touch, and see how we can both help each other.

There is a lot to gain, and as my grandfather said 'Knowledge is no good unless it is shared generously onto others'

-Charlie

My grandfather said that too. He was shot for espionage.

My grandpa's life was a little better then that  Grin
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

Being an business owner and an MSB in the US, myself along with most of the Bitcoin Business Owners deal with legalities and compliance on a daily basis.

We even have our own legal team who've spent hours and hours of research. I'm not the only one who's doing this.

There is a lot to gain, and as my grandfather said 'Knowledge is no good unless it is shared generously onto others'

-Charlie

My grandfather said that too. He was shot for espionage.
legendary

-Charlie
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
Initiatives like this one is what Bitcoin needs now. Technically speaking Bitcoin works, and has been subject to and survived lots of technical scrutiny. Addressing legal uncertainty is the next big step, and is a prerequisite for serious business development and growth of Bitcoin economy.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
*holds nose and subscribes*
Yay! This is a great idea until someone someday comes up with a decentralized form of law.  Wink

It already exists. It's called physical reality.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
I'm waiting for the obligatory "Here's another Matthew trying to start an organization" jokes. Goons? Are you sleeping?
someone someday comes up with a decentralized form of law.  Wink

+1, know that at least 50% of my idle thought is spent considering this
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
*holds nose and subscribes*
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300
Chief Scientist
As I told Matthew when I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago, I also think this is a fantastic idea and plan on helping the CLAG however I can. Legal and regulatory uncertainty is perhaps the biggest barrier for companies who might be thinking of launching projects involving Bitcoin, and having a reliable source of up-to-date accurate information about the issues will be incredibly valuable.

Hopefully in a couple of years the CLAG's biggest problem will be figuring out what it's role should be as similar groups, inspired by the CLAG, spring up all over the world to tackle the unique legal issues in each country.
How are you doing this? Are there some popular law student forums that you can solicit members on?

We are doing this primarily through contacting Law and Technology Journals and inquiring as to whether any of their members are interested in participating. We are also reaching out to career services offices. If there are law student forums I do not know of them.

Is there a danger that by having law student form and run this that established lawyers will be disinclined to join? Is there any precedent for legal advocacy groups founded and fun by students?

That is not a danger. Two licensed U.S. attorneys (in MS and D.C.) have already helped tremendously with this effort. Further, students do not remain in a static state. For instance, I will be graduating in 7 months and will no longer be a student. The extent to which this remains a student org. in years to come remains to be seen. I do not think that a student org. qua student org. disincentivizes licensed attorneys from participating.

There are numerous legal advocacy groups similarly positioned all over the country and the world.
Nim
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Sounds great.

We are in the process of including students from other law schools in the U.S. and around the world.

How are you doing this? Are there some popular law student forums that you can solicit members on?

Is there a danger that by having law student form and run this that established lawyers will be disinclined to join? Is there any precedent for legal advocacy groups founded and fun by students?
legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1015
I am looking forward to your views on bitcoin (including if bitcoin is a commodity or not.)  I hope you guys can win some legal battles for us.
Pages:
Jump to: