Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [CV2] ColossusCoin2.0 | Yobit.net | NovaExchange - Swap to COLX is closed - page 71. (Read 116165 times)

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1024
I pushed the latest changes to this branch https://github.com/Crestington/ColossusCoin2/tree/Wallet-Work

I still am not sure where this RAM issue is that you guys have been experiencing but I was getting it where during the initial download, it would be trying to mint Coins but wouldn't and then hang as a result. If I were to remove my wallet and sync without it I would get no issues so somewhere it is trying to mint Coins.
legendary
I think I may have found the source of the extra RAM usage in that

in wallet.cpp line 1686

it should be

if(GetTime() > out.tx->GetTxTime() + nStakeMinAge)

instead of

if(GetTime() - out.tx->GetTxTime() > nStakeMinAge)

I have been trying to clean up the stake time estimates and pull my latest changes from PayCon, but there is one bug I am having a hard time to identify and fix and it's driving me crazy.
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
Developer

Here you have a screenshot of the wallets working, the CV2 is very efficient, but bitcoin wallet spend more ram, I hope you enjoy a lot.

Which theme do you have on the ColossusCoin wallet? In any case on your PC wallets are eating way less RAM than on mine... A bit strange, but possibly this come down to the versions of system libs.

As the theme which is set by default is very good, clear, and friendly, I haven't tried to set other theme, I already have given the answer to you, then I hope it be of help too.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1073

Here you have a screenshot of the wallets working, the CV2 is very efficient, but bitcoin wallet spend more ram, I hope you enjoy a lot.

Which theme do you have on the ColossusCoin wallet? In any case on your PC wallets are eating way less RAM than on mine... A bit strange, but possibly this come down to the versions of system libs.
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
Developer

legendary
Sorry for taking so long to reply... I have too little free time on the weekdays..

Yes, I resized the image (to 3k Smiley ), and the RAM usage dropped considerably, almost to the level of the old wallet. Probably it makes sense for you to provide a smaller image with the next release.

Regarding the address for coins.. Smiley Sure I have one.., but I just have fun with this coin, no need to pay me for that Smiley Many thanks for the offer anyway! Smiley

Yeah for me I just like doing work on this Coin and adding new stuff, see what comes of it. I would like to sell about $40 worth of Coins though so I can get the new Windows and Mac binaries built.
legendary
Sorry for taking so long to reply... I have too little free time on the weekdays..

Yes, I resized the image (to 3k Smiley ), and the RAM usage dropped considerably, almost to the level of the old wallet. Probably it makes sense for you to provide a smaller image with the next release.

Regarding the address for coins.. Smiley Sure I have one.., but I just have fun with this coin, no need to pay me for that Smiley Many thanks for the offer anyway! Smiley
legendary
Did you have time to look into the reason of the new wallet being so heavy on RAM usage (see my previous post)? It smells like some kind of accidental/unintended change (bug or unntended usage of some library, or linking issue), as I believe no real intended code change or added feature (except really super-major one) could bring to such huge increase of resource usage.

Not that this is a huge problem, but as a quality programmer (which I am sure you are), I think you should be interested in optimizing resource usage, or at least not letting a typo in the code to blow up the resource usage 2-3 times. I am programmer myself, and such increase is a red flag for me, calling for code review.

I haven't had too much ram usage with the CV2 wallet, I wouldn't really call myself a quality programmer.

My experience is purely from trial an error since I became part of Bitcointalk so I have about a year and a half of coding experience and same amount using Linux.

I found the error, I missed adding in bool mintablecoins in miner.cpp, it should be

line 545:   while (vNodes.empty() || IsInitialBlockDownload() || !pwallet->MintableCoins())

I committed it to the source, it should fix the issue.

Thanks for your work, Crestington. You are modest, but I indeed think you are quality programmer, even if you are not expert in programming yet: quality-oriented person (the most important thing) + programming skills will make quality programmer over time.

Back to the topic - your change does not fix the memory issue. However I have done some testing which should be helpful:

Here are my findings:

1. the huge increase of memory usage happens even if there is no blockchain downloaded yet (I deleted all files in "Roaming" dir, restarted wallet, but the RAM usage is still big). So this issue is not related to blockchain memory usage.

2. Important: The bug increase in memory happens ONLY in "Default" theme!!! All other themes have the same memory usage as old wallet.

3. I went further and deleted "black.jpg" in "Default" folder. After restarting of teh wallet, the memory size was small (about 1xx MB). Pit back the "black.jpg", restarted wallet, and the memory size was hige (4xx MB)!!

So somehow the usage of this "black.jpg" which is just 2 MB by itself, brings to the program RAM usage increse of about 250-300 MB!

I hope those findings would help to identify the issue...

You mention that you deleted the files in the roaming folder which says that you are using Windows. That small change for "bool mintable Coins" means it checks for Coins that are able to be minted, otherwise it is using ram needlessly. I have not compiled the Windows binary yet, the change exists in the main sourcecode.

I have heard of a similar issue before in HyperStake where some people were mentioning they were getting an increased amount of orphans with some theme's over others.

This is interesting, try just resizing the image and see how it affects the CPU load, you can go for 640 X 480 and that would make the image about 30 kb.

I do think about efficiency and CPU load which is why the CV2 Blockchain was made with 2 minute Blocktimes and slightly restrictive fees so that it's base growth is about 150mb a year. POS only is actually even more efficient than POW for the reason that you solo mining it so it isn't adding the extra data to the Blockchain when pools are splitting up shares of Blocks mined.

Thank you for pointing this out, I might not have noticed it otherwise. Do you have an address? and I'll send you some Coins for your help Smiley
legendary
Did you have time to look into the reason of the new wallet being so heavy on RAM usage (see my previous post)? It smells like some kind of accidental/unintended change (bug or unntended usage of some library, or linking issue), as I believe no real intended code change or added feature (except really super-major one) could bring to such huge increase of resource usage.

Not that this is a huge problem, but as a quality programmer (which I am sure you are), I think you should be interested in optimizing resource usage, or at least not letting a typo in the code to blow up the resource usage 2-3 times. I am programmer myself, and such increase is a red flag for me, calling for code review.

I haven't had too much ram usage with the CV2 wallet, I wouldn't really call myself a quality programmer.

My experience is purely from trial an error since I became part of Bitcointalk so I have about a year and a half of coding experience and same amount using Linux.

I found the error, I missed adding in bool mintablecoins in miner.cpp, it should be

line 545:   while (vNodes.empty() || IsInitialBlockDownload() || !pwallet->MintableCoins())

Thanks for your work, Crestington. You are modest, but I indeed think you are quality programmer, even if you are not expert in programming yet: quality-oriented person (the most important thing) + programming skills will make quality programmer over time.

Back to the topic - your change does not fix the memory issue. However I have done some testing which should be helpful:

Here are my findings:

1. the huge increase of memory usage happens even if there is no blockchain downloaded yet (I deleted all files in "Roaming" dir, restarted wallet, but the RAM usage is still big). So this issue is not related to blockchain memory usage.

2. Important: The bug increase in memory happens ONLY in "Default" theme!!! All other themes have the same memory usage as old wallet.

3. I went further and deleted "black.jpg" in "Default" folder. After restarting of teh wallet, the memory size was small (about 1xx MB). Pit back the "black.jpg", restarted wallet, and the memory size was hige (4xx MB)!!

So somehow the usage of this "black.jpg" which is just 2 MB by itself, brings to the program RAM usage increse of about 250-300 MB!

I hope those findings would help to identify the issue...
legendary
I also fixed the statistics page to correctly read the moneysupply and easier to read Block Rewards.

legendary

line 545:   while (vNodes.empty() || IsInitialBlockDownload() || !pwallet->MintableCoins())

legendary

legendary
I will have much more time over the next while to work on the codebase Smiley

I have created a bootstrap for first time users of ColossusCoin2 (CV2) from this handy guide passed on to me https://ecua.mobi/how-to-create-bootstrap-dat/

A bootstrap significantly speeds up the time at which you can sync to the highest chain when starting from a first install (about 75% time savings).

In order to use it, you can navigate to your ColossusCoin2 data directory (appdata/roaming/Colossuscoin2 for Windows, .ColossusCoin2 for Linux)

Delete everything in the directory but the wallet.dat and ColossusCoin2.conf, place the bootstrap.dat in the directory and start your CV2 client. (make backups of all wallet.dats)

Your client will seem to hang, it takes approximately 45 minutes to reindex the entire Blockchain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/976zk26gld916fl/cv2bootstrap.zip?dl=0

bootstrap.dat file, created at Wed Jun  3 20:33:53 PDT 2015
sha256sum: 4cbde49f9a284952876b7fd067d954b2d13b235a7ccfae487248b77569c7b6a7
md5sum: 2d64961d4eb740a13dd647e9833e0e29
Verify before using it!

I have also updated all my nodes and you can create a ColossusCoin2.conf file by following these steps.

Go to Control Panel
In the Search box, type Folder
Click "Folder Options"
Click the tab that says View
Make sure there is no check in the box for "Hide file extensions for known file types" (de-select this option and click OK)
Exit Control Panel

On Windows 8, right-click the start button and select "Run"
(for Windows 7, left-click the start button and type "run" into "Search Programs and Files", then click Run at the top of the list)
In "Run", type %appdata% and press Enter
You should see the folder located at Appdata/Roaming
Open the ColossusCoin2 folder
Right-click and Create New File - create a new Text document
Open the document with Notepad
Paste the following into the file: (but put a username and password instead of "username" and "password)

listen=1
daemon=1
server=1
rpcuser=*username*
rpcpassword=*password*
rpcport=43521
port=43522
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
addnode=107.170.179.27
addnode=128.199.39.192
addnode=188.134.72.213
addnode=81.169.251.126
addnode=87.217.89.242
addnode=69.118.24.197
addnode=69.176.242.196
addnode=104.131.180.51
addnode=89.12.92.23
addnode=78.14.250.77
addnode=46.101.165.67
addnode=46.101.25.231
addnode=188.166.115.151
addnode=104.131.180.51

Save the file.
Re-name the document ColossusCoin2.conf (filetype .conf, not .txt)
Restart your ColossusCoin2 wallet.

*Note* a bootstrap is only needed if launching the client for the first time.

Please take a moment to update your ColossusCoin2.conf file with the latest nodes even if you have a fully synced Blockchain.

Tomorrow I will have the quick and dirty method.
legendary
I've been a little less active with it lately, should have a client update for CV2 available fairly soon to clean up some bugs. Doing testing of improved orphan removal, fix a wallet lock/unlock bug, how transactions are displayed, minting range in transaction history, new RPC calls (deleteaddress, getstaketx, getweight), estimated time in Coin Control.

Just working on tweaks to the estimated timing, testing so maybe about a week out.
legendary
Crestington , could you please update the OP with the new wallet? OP still contains the old wallet link, I've downloaded the wallet from there just to find it is the old one...

Also it is better not to publish links to wallets inside the regular forum posts... I have seen too many cases where malicious people were modifying links in the replies, and add viruses there.

-------

One another important (to me, at least Smiley ) topic...
Old wallet eats about 154 Mb RAM on my PC. At the same time (with exactly the same blockchain, at exactly same moment) the new one eats whopping 414 Mb - almost three time more!!! BTW, Paycon wallet eats about 247 MB (while having almost the same code as you tell), so there is something not right somewhere...
I understand that nowadays almost every PC has many gigabytes of RAM, but half a gigabyte for a single wallet is a bit too much... Could you please check what has caused such an increase in resource usage?
legendary
If it is possible to transfer COL from one Cryptsy account to another at this time:
/
Why not open a cryptsy account. Have COL users transfer their cryptsy COL to said account. Have the user send an email/PM in with their info, CV2 address, transaction, possibly a screenshot of transaction confirmation from their cryptsy account, etc. The user can then be sent their CV2 to the CV2 address provided.

And how would the Coins be destroyed in the transfer?

We would have to trust the devs to burn them into a burn account then destroy it.

It appears there is momentum with the coin exchange so I am happy either way as long as it keeps up velocity.

All that needs to really happen is to keep the updates coming. It really doesn't cost me much to do wallet work and now ColossusCoin2 is pretty much one the most efficient POS Coins on the market. Not being used too much isn't really a problem, at 2 minute Block times that would equate to about 150MB of storage space a year at base rate and now combining with LiteStake, it also has one of the smallest draws of CPU consumption in order to Stake.

ColossusCoin was the first POS only Coin (even before NXT), I'd like to keep going with it and see it through, the only real issue is making the swap trustless so there doesn't need to be that trust in just a few people.

The costs for me are so low because ColossusCoin2 and PayCon are basically the same source, the only real differences are the inflation, Stake ages and the Fees so if one is updated with a bunch of major improvements then all it takes is to lay the source overtop the other.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
The new wallet looks awesome. I will DL it shortly. Keep up the good work!
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
If it is possible to transfer COL from one Cryptsy account to another at this time:
/
Why not open a cryptsy account. Have COL users transfer their cryptsy COL to said account. Have the user send an email/PM in with their info, CV2 address, transaction, possibly a screenshot of transaction confirmation from their cryptsy account, etc. The user can then be sent their CV2 to the CV2 address provided.

And how would the Coins be destroyed in the transfer?

We would have to trust the devs to burn them into a burn account then destroy it.

It appears there is momentum with the coin exchange so I am happy either way as long as it keeps up velocity.
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
ColossuscoinXT - highly energy-efficient
Awesome UPDATE!!! and the different themes looks brilliant! Smiley Well done!

The COL (ColossuscoinV1) Blockchain is moving again,  "version" : "v1.5.2.0-col", "blocks" : 847524, "moneysupply" : 313346499807.97125244  

I'll upload the highest blockchain and I'll update the OP tomorrow .

Cheers
sudo23

by the way:

My whole CollossusCoin V1 balance just got disappeared at Cryptsy  Undecided

What is happening?!   Huh

I'm not sure, I've always had problems with Cryptsy :S

Anyways, I've gotten the newest versions of ColossusCoin2 compiled. There is a known bug in the Statistics page which isn't reading the money supply correctly, I thought I had corrected the problem and had it rebuilt but I guess not but "getinfo" shows the correct money supply and I'll fix up the bug in a later release.

The newest version comes with

-LiteStake - Reduce your CPU load when Staking up to 100x
-MultiSend RPC - MultiSend is a revamp of Stake for Charity and allows you to automatically send a portion of your Stake to as many addresses of your Choosing.
-Coin Control RPC - Use Coin Control on the RPC command line
-SplitBlock - Split your Blocks into sizes of your choosing for better Staking Rewards
-Delete address GUI - Delete old addresses *warning please make backups before deleting addresses*
-Reduction of the Blockdrift from 30 minutes down to 1 minute
-Doc's updated for Windows build
-Themes - Choose from 4 different themes

You can download the newest Wallet here and also comes with an updated .conf file

http://www.mediafire.com/download/49ma65yj4o5eztm/ColossusCoin2-qt-win-1-0-2.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/caarot1nvntswfn/ColossusCoin2-Qt-mac-1-0-2.zip
legendary
Problem with Cryptsy turned to be just visual. They have a bug in the site software.

The new wallet looks beautiful with the default theme. You have pretty good taste and designer skills Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: