Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Exchange - CoinGather - page 2. (Read 11499 times)

Activity: 77
Merit: 11
December 18, 2017, 03:30:11 PM
still nothing, my 3k Doge are lost forever
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029
December 11, 2017, 06:14:11 PM
watching...
Activity: 407
Merit: 101
December 09, 2017, 11:30:55 AM
fuck coingather!
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
December 05, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
@almightyruler
thanks you are right, it's in the other thread
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092
December 05, 2017, 04:59:57 PM
Okay, figured out the WHOIS server, but it doesn't really give any useful information. It just shows the large block of IPs assigned to liquidweb, but with a different name. (Both have the address of 4210 Creyts Road - this appears to be the address of the webhost, not the customer).

Many rwhois servers will show specific customer details for a single IP or small IP range, but in this case it looks like it's a no-go. Again this assumes the IP is correct. If it's an old IP, it's possible it is not allocated to any customer right now, and we're looking in entirely the wrong place.
legendary
December 05, 2017, 04:51:35 PM
Anyone have any old records that may show the true IP of coingather.com? (It's hidden because cloudflare is in front of it).

I looked up some historical records from 2014, but it seems it was already on cloudflare by then.

This was allready posted before. The true IP is 72.52.151.45
Why are posts disappearing all the time??

It was mentioned in another thread, sure you're not getting confused and thinking the post has been deleted from here?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-coingather-down-2454147

Anyway, liquidweb has a WHOIS server that may show the owner details of that IP, but it seems to be down right now.

(That's assuming the IP is correct. I don't know how that poster found it.)
Activity: 8
December 05, 2017, 03:25:50 PM
Anyone have any old records that may show the true IP of coingather.com? (It's hidden because cloudflare is in front of it).

I looked up some historical records from 2014, but it seems it was already on cloudflare by then.

This was allready posted before. The true IP is 72.52.151.45
Why are posts disappearing all the time??
legendary
December 04, 2017, 05:29:53 PM

legendary
December 04, 2017, 03:43:49 PM
May I play devil's advocate for a moment?

Has anyone considered that this is a one man operation, and rather than there being a conscious decision to disappear and rip people off, something has happened to him?

I did notice that the exchange came back up briefly, at least once, although it seems to be down again. Could it be that there's some technical problem which requires human intervention (eg run out of disk space) but there's no admin available to intervene?

Just putting it out there.

There are other numerous honest businesses started from owner's guarages that graduates into huge successes. The number one rule is transparent honesty, not disappearing with a word to your customers. This is theft. Simple. And we can stop him. Let's stop him for the sake of our industry.

How can you be transparently honest if you get hit by a bus and end up comatose in a hospital bed? That was my point.

I prefare to get that report from FBI's investigation than to sit still on some baseless assumptions.
Let's #SmokeOutRapta

Fair enough. I admit this industry doesn't have the best track record when it comes to exchanges, online wallets, and other third party services. I think initial inquiries with relevant authorities are a certainly good idea, but not so sure that publicly doxxing the guy (see earlier posts in this thread) is appropriate.

There was one slightly odd thing that happened to me recently. I pointed out that for my last two withdrawals I was charged a 0.0012 BTC fee but the actual network transaction only paid 0.0002712 (about one fifth of what I was charged). I subsequently suggested coingather should refund the difference to all affected clients because it was effectively pure profit. The response was "We will consider that - that's a bit of a stretch to say pure profit.  You probably do not realize the costs involved in running a site like ours." That's a bit like calling out a store for a card surcharge of 10%, and then they justify it by saying the rent isn't cheap......

That was nearly 2 months ago and haven't heard anything (or seen any credit) since.
Activity: 308
Merit: 17
December 04, 2017, 11:07:03 AM

Has anyone considered that this is a one man operation, and rather than there being a conscious decision to disappear and rip people off, something has happened to him?

I did notice that the exchange came back up briefly, at least once, although it seems to be down again. Could it be that there's some technical problem which requires human intervention (eg run out of disk space) but there's no admin available to intervene?

There are other numerous honest businesses started from owner's guarages that graduates into huge successes. The number one rule is transparent honesty, not disappearing with a word to your customers. This is theft. Simple. And we can stop him. Let's stop him for the sake of our industry.

How can you be transparently honest if you get hit by a bus and end up comatose in a hospital bed? That was my point.

I prefare to get that report from FBI's investigation than to sit still on some baseless assumptions.
Let's #SmokeOutRapta
legendary
December 04, 2017, 10:53:17 AM

Activity: 13
December 04, 2017, 10:26:06 AM

lets move guys you do well call FBI call CIA, even call the president of USA to restore our lost funds and catch thiefs !!.
December 04, 2017, 05:06:31 AM

Activity: 26
Merit: 100
December 04, 2017, 02:25:45 AM
for the last 2 months i was chasing them for some 22 ltc i sent a while back, they did not update my balance, and after sending several email on the subject i got the following strange message:
"INTERNAL
Wallet team - why has this ticket not been addressed?  Escalate this immediately.

Ticket: http..."

this leads me to think it was planed for at least 2 months, no one will see his money back, never trust small exchanges
Activity: 868
Merit: 279
December 03, 2017, 05:03:04 PM
I lost around $400 dollars of value in coins there. I really don't know how this can be an exit scam considering they have been active since 2014, there's no reason to exit right now, specially with such low volume in the exchange, I'm not totally sure of how much money from users was lost. It would make sense to exit considering the pumped bitcoin is having, but from a larger exchange, not a small one such as coingather.
Activity: 960
Merit: 514
December 03, 2017, 06:53:04 AM
We found the possible owner of coingather and where its located (see other posts above).

We tried to talk to him in many ways (work, home, friends) to try and clear things out. But he is 'hiding' from us.

If anyone can go there and try to talk to him, it's the best option to get coingather back.

We already filled a report in local police too.

We have a pdf report with all the case and facts about the possible suspect.

Where
Activity: 44
December 02, 2017, 07:03:50 PM

Thanks for posting this,  and yeah that's definitely a scenario because this small of an exchange could be run by one person.  When did the exchange come back online?  I didn't hear about it. Was anyone able top withdrawal their coins in the last week?

legendary
December 02, 2017, 06:12:48 PM

Activity: 44
December 02, 2017, 04:54:06 PM
Posting so this thread doesn't die out.  I also lost over $1k on coingather.  I know the exchange was tiny which means public interest in the problem is minimal,  but this theft by the exchange sets a precedence for the whole industry. There needs to be accountability for those involved no matter the $$ amount.  Otherwise this will continue to happen with nobody caring.  If you have lost money from coingather, please fill out the complaint form others have posted and hope for justice in this matter.
December 02, 2017, 07:46:31 AM
Great job everyone. Pls let not relent in our admirable collective efforts to #SmokeOutRapta. So that our beloved crypto space can be free of thieving platforms.
Pages:
Jump to: